TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone.

My name is Daniel I reside in Pennsylvania.

I purchased a 1997 TLS with 12,000 miles and the only mods are the Yosh RS-3 bolt on pipes. I hope to have a pic posted for you guys pretty soon. The guy gave me a tank bra, extra oil and a filter, Carbon Fiber turn signals + originals, and some extra headlights, as well as the stock pipes (perfect condition!). The guy started out at $4,500 but couldnt sell it due to the rage of the in-line 4's. After him listing it for 3 months strait I called and offered him $3,500 and he took it!:)

I have to say that I absolutely love this bike! From day 1 it was kept in a heated garage. I am the 3rd owner of the bike and it has been babied its entire life.

My only fear is that the bike would be a little much for a first time rider.:coocoo

I have ridden many bikes but this is my first actual street bike. I have ridden a few other TLS's and TLR's as well as R6, CBR's, GSXR's, and a 996 Superhawk Honda. I prefer my TLS to all the other bikes due to its "usable" power. Plus the chics really dig the TLS!!!!

Well I hope to get a chance to speak with some of you as I plan to put some mod's in to this bike over the winter. (not just sport mods).

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Welcome...:bigfinger

·
Registered
186 Posts
welcome to the zone man. i hope you have a lot of disposable income since you will be getting the mod bug all too soon. good luck

as to this being your first street bike i don't think you wil have any problems with your previous riding experiance. hell, my R was my first bike period i hadn't even ever rode a dirtbike for crying out loud. the big thing is just to remeber you are mortal and pain sucks the big one. just give yourself some time to learn your bike and it's nuances before you start any thrashing on it. have fun and be safe:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome :bigfinger

Good thing you saved some cash on the deal...'cause I am sure you will find more than enough ways to make up the difference in mods.

·
Registered
871 Posts
welcome biaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch!:) :bigfinger

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
howdy from the SoCal Hillbilly

Welcome to the wonderful world of the zone.

If you can use the web on your cell phone or blackberry (I do) bookmark this biatch now. It'll save you when you need it the most. I was stranded, or so I thought, and a quick hit to the site, my problem was solved with the search function and I was rolling without having to pay a dime so trustes you me, mark the zone.

Oh and ... :bigfinger

cmonkee

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi there Daniel, Glad you got yourself a bargin there, it will help ya on here towards the many mods that are around :).

As for this being your first bike, i would agree she is very powerful, so do take it very easy, there alot of power behind tl for a first time rider, so dont go opening her WOT until you know the bike well. Dont use WOT (Wide Open Throttle) in 1st and second gear until your ready for wheeleys and you ready to crap yaself :)

Take some time making sure you checked the bike over well, there are a few areas of the 97S that can show troubles, main ones are the frames, they can crack in two places.

Take a look at Steve one of the admin sites for pics of where to look for these cracks......
http://wotid.com/tls/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,50/

I hope you enjoy ya bike, like many of us have done here, it will last forever if looked after and serviced regular.

Mathew

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome buddy :bigfinger

What part of PA are you from?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome, glad to see another 97 TLS owner. Your going to love here, I sure do mine. :bigfinger

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Congrats:thumbup Sounds like an awsome deal:hail

The TLS isn't at all a good bike for a first time rider, imho. Its totally rideable, but it will be difficult to build up your skill on a bike like this. You'd learn much more quickly on a smaller, more mild bike (at least I do). Have you ridden dirt bikes or anything before? If not, even ripping around on a dirt bike for a good while can do wonders to build up your bike handing ability.

If nothing else, try taking the basic and advanced motorcycle safty foundation courses and perhaps a track day school before venturing onto public roads where you'll need to be able to dodge SUV's in a hurry.

have fun and stay safe:thumbup

Oh, also don't forget to get good gear, it does make a world of difference should you come off. Although no one intends to crash it does happen and its wise to be prepared. Leathers can be the difference between a long hospitle stay with lots of skin grafts and simply picking up the bike and riding home.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Take that thou you saved and throw in a bit more for some killer wheels for that TL!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Fear the power and you will be safe!

I must say I'm glad I've started on a 600 bandit.. if I hadn't done that I probably wouldn't have felt that my TLR handled like crap when I started riding it (about a week ago)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
welcome dude.:bigfinger

·
Registered
141 Posts
welcome:bigfinger . and where in pa are ya from? i am located close to harrisburg. and also a daniel. but dan for short. see ya on the boards

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Welcome

:bigfinger Welcome dear! Where the hell is a photo!!!
denee'

·
Registered
141 Posts
what it's been 2 days and no reply on your welcomes? to lurk is one thing but to start a thread and not be glued to it every waking minute is another:bounce

1 - 20 of 34 Posts