TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

Hi from southern Ontario.

Took me a while, but I finally got my hands on a '99 TLR here in Canada. I used to own one back in the UK about 13 years ago ( see the pic ) and loved it - especially when it was leaving my mates Ducati 916 in the dust. This new bike needs a good going through, lack of maintenance has been an issue I would say, but it runs good, idles fine etc. Although, I am amazed that it ran when I picked up - check out the 'Chipmunk Air filter' pic lol. I have a few mechanical and bodywork issues to sort, but it runs fine. It has had the air box flapper delete mod. It has Yoshi SP-3's on it ( They are going to be replaced with carbon versions - as they are a bit beat up - its been down the road on its side once, or maybe twice lol ) and the Yoshi fuel control module. Other than that it's stock. It's undergoing a bit of a restoration as we speak, wife wasn't too happy that I spent most of Christmas in the garage, but hey what you gonna do lol. I will post some more pics of the resto as and when.

I have a question though. What do the markings on the module mean?

Happy New Year !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have a question though. What do the markings on the module mean?
That means the ECU has been flashed with a Yosh Box. +5% fuel added across the board, but no idle duration adjustment...

Nice bike.. lose the chipmunk filter though... :lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok thanks rxf610. So +5% fuel added equates to more grins per mile? Yeah my old UK bike was very clean, still working on the new one.... some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I recently yoshed a TLR that had been test run on the dyno and the AF ratio recorded

it was too rich on std settings!

I took 5% out of all the ranges and added 4% to the idle to correct the transition.

the bike ran smoother , came off idle better and decelerated cleaner.

it was returned to the dyno and the AF ratio was improved and it picked up 4hp

Do NOT be fooled into believing adding fuel is an improvement!

often unruly behaviour is interpreted as more power.

its usually NOT!

the smoothest most agreeable ride is most often the most powerful .

without access to a dyno or a nice piece of road and an AF meter its hard to know.

but read this for an insight

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/performance-enhancement/132907-how-use-yosh-box-101-a.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight. Once I get it out on the twistees and see how it really performs, I will begin the process of dialing it in. TPS, throttle body balance and TRE. As I have no datum to start from, I wont really know if the fuel setup it has now, is an improvement over stock or not. Hey, it's all good.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Bravo! Welcome back. I returned 4 days ago myself. The wife didn't see me for New Years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks egebhardt. I wasted 12 years without a TLR!!! In fairness I had to sell as I was moving country. Glad I have another one of these iconic bikes. That engine, that sound, that performance eh!!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
it was too rich on std settings!

I took 5% out of all the ranges and added 4% to the idle to correct the transition.

the bike ran smoother , came off idle better and decelerated cleaner.

it was returned to the dyno and the AF ratio was improved and it picked up 4hp

Do NOT be fooled into believing adding fuel is an improvement!

often unruly behaviour is interpreted as more power.

its usually NOT!
:stupid BUT... be very aware of just going leaner without having an AF-meter, or a VERY good feeling of your bike. Too rich will be a nothing but a poor ride, but too lean will fry your spark plugs, or burn hole in your pistons or or or....

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
but too lean will fry your spark plugs, or burn hole in your pistons or or or....
not on a four stroke road bike.........

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks egebhardt. I wasted 12 years without a TLR!!! In fairness I had to sell as I was moving country. Glad I have another one of these iconic bikes. That engine, that sound, that performance eh!!!!
Not to mention all that weight. Have you considered a Shorai battery?
Also, I just bought a Yosh Box to zero mine out. Then re-apply a tune. I have no baseline either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I hear yuh. There is lighter and faster out there. But, that's just it, the TL's have a something other bikes lack. TL's have a presence about them. I don't know maybe I'm talking shite, but there's something special about them for sure. My buddies 916 rode waaaaay better when we used to switch over bikes on a ride, it felt like it was 'on rails' compared to my TLR. But, not that I would say no to a Ducati, it's just I got more of a grin factor from the TLR. Maybe it just boils down to value. Bang for your buck as they say.

I would buy one of those batteries buy I just spent my lifes savings on these!!!!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts