TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...wish they were using the SV650 power plant that they were originally promoting they'd be using...

...those Hyosung bikes look very cheap and how would you get them serviced or parts as I'm sure there isn't much of a dealer infrastructure in the USA (or else where)...

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
yeah korean motor.... I don't know about that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
last report i read on the hyosung stuff (2 years ago) was they blew two engines at the track day where they invited the press to debut thier first bike. unless they've changed alot, i'm not so sure i'd trust it....

·
Registered
603 Posts
That was in one of my motorcycle mags a few months ago. Looked decent and made decent power...but korean motor...:runs:

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
It was originally supposed to have a Rotax motor in it. I wonder if he ever talked to Suzuki?

8 grand for a bike with a Korean 650cc engine in it and you have to sign a waiver on emissions and DOT legality to buy it? Sorry, but I find that laughable. :coocoo

P

·
0 Posts
Give Korea time. In the 50's Japanese engines wasnt worth a lot here in Europe.

And today things are developing a lot faster than it did in the 50-60's.

The naked Hyosung has gotten nice words here. Though, its a naked and don't need an über tuned engine.
Oh, and it's quite cheap here. Not the one in the link though...

Another example is Hyundai. 5 years ago they where shunned, today their SUV is one of the most usual...

I for once thinks its a good thing there are more bike builders. Might meke them cheaper, or at least there will be more styles to chose from. :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Chassis looks really nice, probably handles like a dream. I'm all for high-spec smaller bikes. I'd love it if suzuki made bike up to the spec level (components etc) of a GSXR1000 but with an SV650 motor. I'm not sure about the motor either, but I think SV parts are supposed to fit it. I suppose you could swap in an entire SV motor if you wanted to. I doubt suzuki would sell him SV motors though as they usually don't supply motors to companies that would be making bikes that would compete with theirs (example, they stoped supplying cagiva with the TL based twins for the Navigator when they came out with the DL....).

I wonder what ever happned to the highland motor it was going to use a while ago?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
For $8000.00 you also get the Hyosung suspension. You can upgrade everything on the bike, but then you have an $11000.00 nice handling bike with a Korean motor :banghead

·
Registered
603 Posts
8 grand for a bike with a Korean 650cc engine in it and you have to sign a waiver on emissions and DOT legality to buy it? Sorry, but I find that laughable. :coocoo
if you're worried about that then stop taking your bike to the bike shop to get it inspected. :D

DOT doesnt actually do any tests. They just set specs so people can put "DOT" on their products.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The point is that an "American" motorcycle that cannot meet American Emissions standards has to make you pause and wonder if there are other, "below standard" components on the bike. $8000.00 for a 650 is a lot of cash, for $700.00 you could get an Aprilia 550 SXV and wipe the Hyosung's ass I would think. They are at a price point where we expect big things and you have to pay even more to get Japanese 600 standard performance, and you are still left with an engine that is not up to our expectations.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The emissions thing may very well just be due to bureaucratic holdups and certification may be forthcoming, but I still think it sucks you have to sign a waiver, which potentially has you unable to license your new Fischer at the local DMV. Chances are this won't happen, but it is lame to put the risk on the buyer.

As for 8 grand for a new street bike, I just bought an '06 FZ-1 for that. To me the choice is pretty obvious.

Of course, I just got done blowing 2 grand on mods for the FZ so I guess it is a $10,000 bike now :laugh Photos and riding impressions forthcoming, but for now, "jet airplane" comes to mind as a good decription of the riding experience. :devious

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
wtf? for 8K you can get the hyosung suspension? his price is out of line. i have a hyosung dealer a few blocks from the house and you can get one of the gt650r's for 5K out the door. same motor with a little plainer bodywork. but you get the fancy hyosung suspension.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
For $8000.00 you also get the Hyosung suspension. You can upgrade everything on the bike, but then you have an $11000.00 nice handling bike with a Korean motor :banghead
Actually for $8000 grand you get a nice chasis with a questionable motor, forks with crap internals that can be upgraded and ohlins on the rear and if I remember the real article release in motorcyclist (last month, still on the shelf with a yellow bike on cover) they are getting released with Micron exhaust already on them.

Oh and initial test ride said they were of great comfort but the kickstand drags in a second, and they were resolving it.

P

·
0 Posts
I wonder what ever happned to the highland motor it was going to use a while ago?

I know I know I know.... :devious :banana

At tour local store shortly.
Oh, wait, you don't get Highland in the states... :laugh :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts