TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not mine..... but a buddy of mine who lives in Indy called me today..... all jacked up on pain killers..... the other day he got new Michelin P. Powers on his CBR1000 RR..... thought he'd take the bike out for a spin and scrub the new tire surface shine off.... pulls out of his drive, heading down the street in his heighborhood, only going about 15-20 mph, said he was weaving the bike a bit left and right to scrub the sides of the tires a bit when the back end slides out, catches all of the sudden and high sides him off..... 360 degree head over heels, lands on his feet before landing on his ass...... bike slides to a stop next to him on the side of the road..... after he sorta regroups himself.... and realizes he's unharmed (full leathers and all the gear...) he tries to stand up and feels horrible pain shoot up his leg....... long story short, he broke his heel in three places.... Doctor says it may be 4 months before he will walk on it..... said the road was clear of any sand or salt, and the ambient temp was about 50 degrees F...... so maybe a combination of new tires, colder surface temp and dumb luck..... bike was just rashed on the fairings and cases, nothing real major.....

moral: your never exempt from going down... be careful out there........:coocoo

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh New tires can be slick - I always scuff them in by hand because I'm a wimp like that:D

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Scuffed mine in on the track and thought I had em good and done. Decided to try keeping up with Doug and went into a highside that sent me straight up thankfully because I came back down on the bike and it was a save. That was on my 600. Can't imagine trying to scrub in tires on a 1K in the colder weather.

Too bad about the foot. At least it should get better in time for the weather to get nice again.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
When it's warm outside, just head to the nearest roundabout and drive around it going gradually faster. You should be able to scrub them in in a few rounds (on side at least). On my straight-sit-up bandit I could have scrubbed them in in 1 min if I had asphalt in front of my house :O Last time I had to ride 1,5 mile to do a couple of rounds and good to go! :hail

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Damn :( I did exact same thing when I got my PP 2CT's ... glad it didn't happen to me :)

Hope he feels better soon :yes

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
I just mounted my PP's and went out riding. Didn't scrub them or anything and didn't experience any slipping at all. :O
Maybe I'm just riding to slow? :devious :laugh

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
maybe it was his weaving back and forth. Doesnt do a whole lot for tires, doesnt warm them up any. I mount my tires here at the house and just take off and ride like your obeying the speed limit for about the first 100 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
:stupid you get a few heat cycles through 'em and you're sorted :yes

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
I just mounted my PP's and went out riding. Didn't scrub them or anything and didn't experience any slipping at all. :O
Maybe I'm just riding to slow? :devious :laugh
yes U are :laugh

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
As I think of it.. weaving compresses suspension.. thus loads the tires extra. That might have just been enough to get the slide going? :O

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Moral of the story: weaving is BS. You won't scrub in your tyres like that.
The only thing that scrubs in your tyres is driving corners.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
As I think of it.. weaving compresses suspension.. thus loads the tires extra. That might have just been enough to get the slide going? :O
Exactly. So on cold tires, on a cold day you do mini back & forth turns that are a little jerky by nature & break the tires loose & down you go. If it was done on a "regular" turn chances are the rider would have been able to save that slide. But going back & forth like that you have it in your mind you are just going to flick the bike back the other direction but as you start reacting in that manner the rear of the bike is sliding out the other direction. A recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
bummer :(

i only go straight so thats not a problem :laugh

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
So who uses the quick stop method? Several quick stop and go's in a short period of time. I hear that warms the tires pretty qiuck. I never tried it, but from what I hear it's supposed to be pretty effective :dunno.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddy. I've bruised my heal pretty bad before and that hurt like hell and took a couple months to feel better. I cant imagine breaking it. :bawling

I've had 2 sets of fresh rubber mounted at the track (One set P.P. and the other were Qualifiers) and everybody I spoke to at the track (tire rep, other riders and track employees) all said just go ride. Take it easy like your warming up a set of cold ones. 1st lap easy, 2nd lap moderate and 3rd's fair game. I know he was on the street but just a few blocks of normal riding should be enough.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
not the first story I've heard about someone pushing new Power's too hard when new. They are slick as shit when new and very sticky when properly scrubbed in.

A friend of mine dumped his RC the day after getting a set of Power's put on.

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
ah yes, the old "I was on new tires which caused me to crash" story.....

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
:laugh that might be the slowest highside I've ever seen :lol

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
So who uses the quick stop method? Several quick stop and go's in a short period of time. I hear that warms the tires pretty qiuck. I never tried it, but from what I hear it's supposed to be pretty effective :dunno.
I heared the same thing!

Usefull on the track I think?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts