TLZone Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new tank to put on my bike. I've pulled the fuel pump out of the old tank and i'm ready to put it in the new one. What do you guys recommend sealing it with? Is there a gasket from Suzuki that I should use? It leaked on the old tank, so I want to make sure it doesn't on the new one.

Also, are there any tricks or mods to do before I put it back on?:O

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
You MUST get a neal seal/gasket from suzuki :)
Make sure you tighten the bolts in the correct order (as per the manual)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You MUST get a neal seal/gasket from suzuki :)
Make sure you tighten the bolts in the correct order (as per the manual)
Its headed to the shop in the morning, I just thought I could hopefully save them some time by putting it in myself. I guess i'll let them do it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Do it yourself. It is easy. Just get the new gasket and follow the order for bolting the pump back in. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from here for free.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do it yourself. It is easy. Just get the new gasket and follow the order for bolting the pump back in. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from here for free.
I would but its headed to the shop anyway cause it wont idle :( and it needs the TB's sync'd. I've adjusted the TPS sensor but the dang thing still doesn't want to idle. If you rev it up to 4k it spikes up to 52-5300rpm also. I thought it only did that when there was NOT a load on it. I was wrong, it does it when you ride it too. I'm going to let someone who actually knows about motorcycles deal with it. I'm tired of messing with it and only having a nice statue in the garage instead of something i can use. I've had it for a month and only been able to put about 10 miles around the neighborhood on it. I give up.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You may have a bad spark plug cap. It could have a small crack. My bike was doing some weird stuff like that. New cap and she was good to go.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Just for reference...

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
And for the TLS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys,

I've ordered a new gasket for my 99 TL1000S. The old one is leaking. I'm assuming there would be some sort of paste/selant that would need to go on the gasket prior to bolting on the screws, so as to make sure the gasket seals properly. Could anyone recommend what I should use? Really appreciate the help.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I don't remember using anything other than the new gasket when I did mine a couple of years ago. The new gasket should come with new bolts that already have blue thread lock on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Swademaster,

Thanks for the quick response. Reading on some of the other threads, some people recommend using the Permatex Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing (item# 85409). Then again, if you haven't had any problems with just using the gasket without any sealant, then I might just do that as well.

I live in Minnesota....didn't have any problems with the gasket till it got a little warmer and I took my bike out for a ride, a few days later it got cold again, and that's when I noticed gas underneath the bike....dripping from under the left side of the gas tank. I'm blaming the extreme weather for this issue......in fact it's snowing out right now! What do you do!

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
I don't think the manual lists using any sealant on the gasket either. But some fuel resistant sealer might be cheap insurance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Steve! I did end up buying some of the Permatex gasket sealant, and will use that to assure that the gasket seals properly. Hope all gose well, as replacing the fuel pump gasket seems to be somewhat a nightmare from what I have read on the threads. Should have ordered a couple of gaskets....just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts