TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Shindengen reg & Lithium battery but volts still drop to 11v @5000rpm & dies

Hi guys I've really been battling with a problem.

I have put in a Shindengen FH020AA regulator and a Motobatt MPLX16U-HP lithium battery, both brand new.

After the bike passing every voltage/diode/amp test I could throw at it, it had still left me stranded a few times with a weak battery so was hoping the new kit would fix my issues. I have also run new wires direct to the battery from the regulator and crimped and soldered them with a inline fues.

Currently

13.4v Off

12.8v -13.0v On

10.5v during crank (starts like a dream now even when ice cold)

13.5v idle climbs to 14.2v to 14.5v after a minute or two.

Rev to 5000 bike starts sputtering. As if the whole bike dies for a split second then comes back then repeats.

Volts drop to 11.5 and the instrument panel dims the comes back synchronized with the missing.

I get C35 on the gage (Faulty wiring or wiring connector/ damaged fuel injector)

But only while holding it at 5000rpm. it goes back to C00 when she comes back to idle and voltage goes back to 14.5. After a few seconds at 5000rpm one of the skips will be too long and it will cut out. Hit the starter and she fires right back up at sits fine at idle @14.5v

With the regulator disconnected from the battery I'm getting 15.5 volts even at 5000rpm it doesn't move. (Recently found out that’s a bad move and can damage the regulator but only did this after the problem and for a few seconds, hopefully havn't damaged the new reg/rec)

I’ve put a 10amp fuse on the starter and the regulator to see if it would blow the fuse. I.e a dead short somewhere. It didn’t.

I have checked the starter relay and the every connector plug I can find with the faring/tank and air box removed. I’ve used 3cans of switch cleaner aswell making sure all connections are clean and shiny.

Any advise on where to look next would be a life saver.

Dying here :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably about 6 months ago. I also pulled out the fuel pump and ran a test in a bucket of fuel connected to a 12 volt battery to see if it was pumping well. It was pumping 2 liters a minute. My Haynes manual says Tl1000R min spec is 1 liter a minute (don't know how to check pressure). Both spark plugs done about a month ago as well.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Probably about 6 months ago. I also pulled out the fuel pump and ran a test in a bucket of fuel connected to a 12 volt battery to see if it was pumping well. It was pumping 2 liters a minute. My Haynes manual says Tl1000R min spec is 1 liter a minute (don't know how to check pressure). Both spark plugs done about a month ago as well.
That's not it.

Where did you get the R/R?

Something is heating up and failing...

Did you get a real Shindengen?

Post a picture of the end where the numbers are stamped and the bottom...

If you bought a Chinese one, you may have a dud fake R/R.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMG_7215.JPG IMG_7216.JPG IMG_7217.JPG . Hi, it has the problem cold or hot, so not a heat issue.
I got the reg from eBay jasonmotoelectrix. Seems pretty legit, he's got 700 sold and a few hundred positive reviews. It is sold as "GENUINE SHINDENGEN".

The Motobatt lithium has a built in protection circuit that cuts off the battery when over or under voltage. So my only theory at this point is something is drastically dragging the voltage down when reving or over voltage when reving. Battery cuts for a second, lights and bike die then comes back alive.

Only problem then is, if its a huge draw, it should blow my 10amp fuse which it's not. I put a amp meter on the bike and it drew 5amps didn't matter how I reved it. Tested with a 5 amp light bulb on the battery while out the bike and the battery drops to 13.1 not 11v. So nothing is really making sense.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
replace the stator

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i bit the bullet and brought another lead acid battery. Everything looks like it's working now aaahhh. The fully charge lithium motobatt is causing the problems. Weird as it starts the bike fine but sputters when reved. Will do some more testing but as it stands beware of lithium. brand new battery and probably has something worng with its internal protection circuit or something. Or shidegen motobatt combo is a no go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So i bit the bullet and brought another lead acid battery. Everything looks like it's working now aaahhh. The fully charge lithium motobatt is causing the problems. Weird as it starts the bike fine but sputters when reved. Will do some more testing but as it stands beware of lithium. brand new battery and probably has something worng with its internal protection circuit or something. Or shidegen motobatt combo is a no go.
Lithium batteries have a built in battery management system If the battery management system sees over current draw, low voltage or over charge it will cut off the current to the load. You will most probably find that the regulator is not compatible with a lithium battery.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Lithium batteries have a built in battery management system If the battery management system sees over current draw, low voltage or over charge it will cut off the current to the load. You will most probably find that the regulator is not compatible with a lithium battery.
Maybe that specific lithium, but I doubt it. I've been running lithium and a shindengen on my S for years...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've sent the lithium battery back to Motobatt and they are going to test it for me. I will post again once they've tested.
Side note: with the Lead acid battery in now, volts stay between 14.2 and 14.4 throughout the rev range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts