TLZone Forums banner

New pads, soaked in oil?

917 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  i8marcus 
#1 ·
So i put new EBC pads and used galfer rotors on the TL last summer. The stopping was great. Until the fork seal let go and soaked the whole damn setup. Im finally getting around to fixing the forks and dont know if the new pads are ruined due to the oil, or can they be sanded or something? And whats the proper method of tightening the forks and axle? I would think clamps first then axle then pinch bolts. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
soak the pads in methylated spirits or paint thinner or brakekleen.

tighten the bottom triple first . check the forks are straight to each other, if not just twist them true( they should be true but you know its just possible) then tighten top triple , check again ,tweak if necessary and final torque the bolts.
Tighten the axle, give the assembly a bit of a shake to settle it and tighten the pinch bolts.

#4 ·
Same as Ring-In, wash in brake cleaner or thinners then I used a blow torch to evenly heat them up to burn out any excess oil. Just don't go mad and cook them !!

#6 ·
Brake pads are cheap, personally I would buy new ones. Especially if they already have almost a year of use anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.