TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

Got the website address off OSS so thought I'd give you a shout

Ok, lets get the honest bit out of the way first - I don't own a TL - YET!

I've wanted one since they came out but never had the cash - had to buy old dogs & fix em up - but I've now got a bit of spare wonga and fancy a TL1S.

So, Wot I'm really after is some advice.

Can anyone spare the time to tell me if there are any common problems or faults that I should be on the lookout for? Particularly interested in any engine probs that arise on a regular basis. Obviously I'm lookin for as low a mileage bike as possible but am on a fairly limited budget and less miles means more money!

Any tips gratefully received and if I do manage to land 1 please be prepared for a barrage of stoopid questions!!!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
do a search here on frame cracks. That's the biggest one I can say to look out for on the TLS.
Wonga? Where are you located? :O

Oh yea, welcome. :bigfinger.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Really aren't any major common engine problems I'm aware of. Oil leaks are somewhat common (clutch push rod seal and countershaft seal on the TLR's). In general, as long as you keep oil in them they last a long time. I'd look for the least molested specimen you can find and have fun:thumbup

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
But look for frame cracks. If it already has an aftermarket rear shock....jump on it! :thumbup

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
The biggest issue is that they aren't Rs. :slaptls :lol While the '97 is the claimed "moster motor king" there were some upgrades to the latter years. off the top of my head some of these are better crank oiling, larger output shaft bearing, a new location for the thermostat and a 6 spring clutch with more plates as opposed to the original 5 spring. None of that would keep me from buying a nice '97 mind you, but it's good to know what you're getting.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The '97 had a lot of issues, still can be a great bike but a lot of stuff to fix:
- tank recall for puel pump plate seal
- leak-prone clutch cover w/ smaller seal and bolt-hole inserts that pop out
- breather reed valve system that doesn't work
- small trans output bearing at sprocket
- inferior crank oiling
- overly-restrictive front fork valving
- too-soft springs front & rear

The '98 had a lot less problems and they just got better from there IMHO. If I were you, I'd look for a late-model one that came stock with the 6-spring clutch. Then pick up a cheap set of 6-piston calipers and 5/8 master on eBay and you've got the nicest affordable bike around IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts