TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my first “legal” street bike I have a 02 TL1000R it has 17k on her. The bike rides amazing only real issues are cosmetic and electrical wire harness is a mess but will be getting into that soon and I have new fairings on the way. So other then that I have rode street bikes before Honda cbr’s and a 750 gsxr and I actually liked the 750’but had it taken being as though it wasn’t registered so anyway I’ve taken the necessary steps to get my shit together and an now actually able to ride without the paranoia of cops.
so the tiller is a diffrent breed of bikes at first I was hesitant to actually test ride her just because of the size but once on her she’s not as heavy as she looks but the torque WOW and like I stAted I’ve ridden other bikes And just assumed they are all the same WRONG 😂 the throttle the low to mid range is completely a diffrent world I wasn’t to find of the dual exhaust/Harley sound but it grew on me and when I’m out with friends I don’t hear thier bikes at all🤣and I love it.
so my questions are 1 what mods does anyone prefer?2 should I get a power commander?.She curry has the rs-3 cans on her. Should I do full exhaust? And I want to do oil change and this is gonna be the icebreaker for this newbie what oil do you prefer ?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like you have a small project on your hands, which is good. I prefer mods that actually help the bike, and then I do cosmetic stuff. Since you said you have some wiring issues to take care of, I would steer you toward the headlight mod. If you go to Eastern Beaver, you can find the dual H4 relay harness. This takes a lot of the drain off the battery when starting the bike. Aside from that mod, I would encourage you to carefully check the starter relay, and the two large yellow and white connectors under the left ram air cover. Look for ANY signs of corrosion or burning in all three of these places. Repair or replace what you need to. If by chance you ever have to get a new starter relay, but an OEM one. There are many lesser quality units out there you can buy much cheaper, but in the end, you will be replacing it again. If you want a full exhaust, there aren't a lot of options these days. About the only one I know for sure is M4. Sean "Speedking" sells these and he has good prices. You will get lots of opinions on oil. I've always used Rotella oil, 15w-40.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Sounds like you have a small project on your hands, which is good. I prefer mods that actually help the bike, and then I do cosmetic stuff. Since you said you have some wiring issues to take care of, I would steer you toward the headlight mod. If you go to Eastern Beaver, you can find the dual H4 relay harness. This takes a lot of the drain off the battery when starting the bike. Aside from that mod, I would encourage you to carefully check the starter relay, and the two large yellow and white connectors under the left ram air cover. Look for ANY signs of corrosion or burning in all three of these places. Repair or replace what you need to. If by chance you ever have to get a new starter relay, but an OEM one. There are many lesser quality units out there you can buy much cheaper, but in the end, you will be replacing it again. If you want a full exhaust, there aren't a lot of options these days. About the only one I know for sure is M4. Sean "Speedking" sells these and he has good prices. You will get lots of opinions on oil. I've always used Rotella oil, 15w-40.
Yeah the ecu did act funny actually bike shut off at red light and I had to push the tank to a lot and when I would try to start it the fuel pump wouldn’t turn on so I pulled the seat and moved the ecu and then I heard the fuel pump kick on so that’s why I said something about wiring and my lowbeam only right headlight works unless high beam is on then I’m blinding ppl 🤣🤣not really a bike to ride in the night atleast not for me I’m from Philadelphia pa so I try to travel to the outskirts where it’s not a red light or stop sign every 40yrds but that’s what happen with electrical. And there is actually a wire from a battery tender hooked up to the battery all I do is plug it in after my ridding and it’s charged within 40 minutes the person I bought it from had that setup so I just plug it in. And what about a power commander? Does she need one? I mean it’s definitely a strong bike but not much top end but low and mid I’m giving cbr 1000rr a match but hiring top of 5th into 6th it’s like no difference and not that I race them but open roads and buddies who laugh at my tank. I just wanted to let them know and respect my tiller 🤣🤣

1 - 4 of 4 Posts