TLZone Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hey ... been reading the forums here for a few months after I saw a TLR for the first time at my local bike shop :drool . I don't have a TL yet but I've been scrimping every scrimpable place I can to save up for one. As soon as I can sell my CBR I should have enough for a TLR.

I also wanted to ask a quick question... would it be bad to buy a salvage title bike if I'm not planning on selling it? All my buddies say it's a bad idea but I just don't see what is wrong with it. :confused

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Welcome! :bigfinger

We'll be waiting for some nice TLR pictures later on. :thumbup

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heres a pic of my current baby to hold you over for now :)

sorry for low quality, its a camera phone pic

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I'm no expert but I bought a wreck bike, my first TLS. Maybe I have bad luck but after doing everything to the bike except front fork suspension setup (which was planned). I wreck it three times in the three years I had it. It was wreck with a clear title when I bought it. Possible the frame was tweaked but to be honest I loved the bike and never had a problem riding the hell out of it. I assume I was just too careless on each accident. The last accident fracture my pelvis and it still hurts to this day. The accident was in September. I plan to stick to a lighter, slower bike for on/off road in the future. Right now I have no bike. Now to answer your question if you know the history than maybe or if it for track purposes definitely.

·
Registered
211 Posts
in alabama if you buy a salvage title bike and fix it, even to 100% original quality, you can never have a non-salvage title put on it. in other words you can never change it back. if you buy a salvage bike from out of state, you can't even register it in the state of alabama.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Welcome & :bigfinger.

Hope it works out for you with moving the CBR on for the right price:)

Better off getting a lovely slim TLS than a big lardy TLR though:devious :devious :devious

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to get $3k out of the F3. I have a guy at work who will buy it as soon as he gets his taxes back, but I would rather sell it before then so I have a few months to look for a TL while it's still cold and I'm not missing out on riding time. The CBR is in great condition and has a few little extras in it.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Welcome to the site! As for a salvage title, you should worry about 3 things I think, 1st is the bike in good mechanical/cosmetic condition? 2nd will you be able to registar, insure etc the bike in your state and anywhere else you might possibly want to move to? 3rd are you comfortable with a very low re-sale value? If all those check out ok, then you might be able to save some $$ by going with a salvage title, if not, then you had best get one with a clean title.

good luck and have fun

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
welcome and goodluck, you will find a wealth of knowledge and some sarcastic jackholes too, it took me a long two years to finally find "the bike" that i got just take your time, one thing not to forget is that there is always another bike out there just take your time and dont get too antsy

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
welcome :bigfinger...once you find a tl remember to hide your wallett....this place will suck it dry in a heart beat...

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
welcome aboard, the TL is a cult thing, glad to see there is another one of us. if you think it looks kewl... wait until you hear it.

I think most of this was said above, but I'll say it again.

1. Can you get a "salvage titled" bike registered for the street in your state? some states just take your money and send you the registration, some require an inspection for road safety and worthyness, some absolutly refuse to put it on the street.

2. the resale value will always be low with a salvage title. However if you are going to ride it until it's dead and then part it out, not a problem. Something to keep in mind if the "new bike" bug bites you on occation.

3. Do you know enough about bikes to know if the one you are looking at is just cosmetic (that is expensive enough to total the bike) or if it was banged around enough to bend something out of line?

one of the things you can do is buy your salvage bike, and get a clean title frame off Egay and build it back... Lots of work but very rewarding if you do it.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Welcome matey :bigfinger

I would be sure someone on here would be willing to have a look at any bike you are interested in buying. Just offer someone a beer and a bacon butty !! There's plenty of TL's around that wont break the bank and aint salvage.

But enjoy your stay and watch that credit card bill .....

:hail TLR's

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well thank God I don't have a credit card... but I have been seriously considering selling plasma to fund my TL Modding. I don't even have one yet, but from hearing and seeing all the mods you guys have done, I can't wait! :cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts