TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've just taken on a 99 TLR that has been stored and off the road for a few years, it's all there but hasn't been stored well so quite a lot of corrosion and all consumables are worn out. Nothing very serious it has been stored inside but with a small amount of fuel left in it so the tank has rusted inside. Whilst I think it's treatable and not terminal I have questions about the fuel pump.

I've removed it and the rubber boot was split and all the pump hardware inside it is quite rusty. New OEM pumps are a fortune so I suppose I need to refurb what I have & do the fuel filter mod but my question is do I need the rubber cover or can the pump function submerged in fuel. Given there is a rubber cover then I presume the pump & filter assembly need to be kept dry is that right?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,304 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Northernbloke!

...... Given there is a rubber cover then I presume the pump & filter assembly need to be kept dry is that right?
No. The fuel pump is always submerged whether the rubber cover is there or not. As near as I can tell, the rubber cover was intended for 'slosh' control. If someone has a better explanation, feel free to chime in.

At any rate, the pump works fine with or without the rubber cover.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've just taken on a 99 TLR that has been stored and off the road for a few years, it's all there but hasn't been stored well so quite a lot of corrosion and all consumables are worn out. Nothing very serious it has been stored inside but with a small amount of fuel left in it so the tank has rusted inside. Whilst I think it's treatable and not terminal I have questions about the fuel pump.

I've removed it and the rubber boot was split and all the pump hardware inside it is quite rusty. New OEM pumps are a fortune so I suppose I need to refurb what I have & do the fuel filter mod but my question is do I need the rubber cover or can the pump function submerged in fuel. Given there is a rubber cover then I presume the pump & filter assembly need to be kept dry is that right?

Thanks in advance
Had exactly same issues and identical bike and year. Purchased off an older bloke and hadnt ridden it for 15 months. Fuel tank gummy/resin and surface rust, solution took tank off and treated,gently shook and swirled ball bearings in some clean fuel, several times and poked clean wire in to loosen any flaky rust, got a bit but not too bad, then used scourer pad on wire and reached in as much as possible to get surface rust, then treated tank with a rust rinse solution. I then kept a few litres of clean fuel in tank and swirled around every second day whilst I proceeded with next chore. With tank upside down took of fuel pump, buggered, ordered new , online, had to cut a small unneccessary piece off to modify as it would not fit right. But heaps cheaper and worth the wait. Next chore, remove the injectors and set up a spray can of carby cleaner to intake and wire to a 12 volt battery ,several times then spray the opposite side of injectors then I did the intake side a second time and re-fitted the injectors and manifold/bracket etc, then Re-fitted the whole tank and lines etc. I then made the mistake of using the existing battery but my advice here is not to muck around with a questionable battery, bite the bullet and get a brand new battery and while your there set up a trickle charger for it, these big Vtwins need amps. Bingo my bike purring like a pussycat. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had exactly same issues and identical bike and year. Purchased off an older bloke and hadnt ridden it for 15 months. Fuel tank gummy/resin and surface rust, solution took tank off and treated,gently shook and swirled ball bearings in some clean fuel, several times and poked clean wire in to loosen any flaky rust, got a bit but not too bad, then used scourer pad on wire and reached in as much as possible to get surface rust, then treated tank with a rust rinse solution. I then kept a few litres of clean fuel in tank and swirled around every second day whilst I proceeded with next chore. With tank upside down took of fuel pump, buggered, ordered new , online, had to cut a small unneccessary piece off to modify as it would not fit right. But heaps cheaper and worth the wait. Next chore, remove the injectors and set up a spray can of carby cleaner to intake and wire to a 12 volt battery ,several times then spray the opposite side of injectors then I did the intake side a second time and re-fitted the injectors and manifold/bracket etc, then Re-fitted the whole tank and lines etc. I then made the mistake of using the existing battery but my advice here is not to muck around with a questionable battery, bite the bullet and get a brand new battery and while your there set up a trickle charger for it, these big Vtwins need amps. Bingo my bike purring like a pussycat. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info Pete, I have some DEOX C that you mix with water to make a rust removal solution, I've made 5 litres of that and put it in the tank and left it for 1 day before moving the tank to a different position, a different position each day and its coming up clean, I've put the pump assembly back in without the rubber boot to de rust that as well. I'll take it out and get rid of the fuel filter & do the external filter mod, I'd not thought about cleaning the injectors so I may well do that while its in bits. I have the battery on a trickle charger, but if there are any signs that its not 100% it will be replaced.

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,304 Posts
.... all the pump hardware inside it is quite rusty. New OEM pumps are a fortune so I suppose I need to refurb what I have ......
..... I've put the pump assembly back in without the rubber boot to de rust that as well. I'll take it out and get rid of the fuel filter & do the external filter mod, ......
If the original fuel pump is rusted, you will be time and money ahead to replace it now. There are plenty of affordable, quality aftermarket pumps available for the TL system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info Pete, I have some DEOX C that you mix with water to make a rust removal solution, I've made 5 litres of that and put it in the tank and left it for 1 day before moving the tank to a different position, a different position each day and its coming up clean, I've put the pump assembly back in without the rubber boot to de rust that as well. I'll take it out and get rid of the fuel filter & do the external filter mod, I'd not thought about cleaning the injectors so I may well do that while its in bits. I have the battery on a trickle charger, but if there are any signs that its not 100% it will be replaced.
No drama mate, I received a lot of help from the guys on here, so glad to pass it on. I google/you tube searched cleaning injectors and made a piece of hard plastic straw inserted into another slightly larger etc and heatshrunk them on to the thin straw provided with the pressure pack can of carby cleaner and yeh worked a treat. Just squirt the moment you give the injector 12 volts and repeat a few times, chances are if your fuel tank gummy, the injectors will be too. You can also test that fuel pump by giving it a quick test to 12volts, it should make a noise, mine didnt. cheers from west oz mate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts