TLZone Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Had a bad experience at a Donington track day: clutch slipped and I didn't catch the revs quickly enough, went well into the red and I wrecked an engine. Only sounded like an exhaust leak at the time but when I rode it in to the shop I was told 25% compression lost on back cylinder. 6 weeks later and £1050 spent .........:banghead :banghead :banghead and I had a '99 engine installed into my '98 TL1000R.

Now comes the interesting bit. I expect the engine to behave differently but my old engine would warm up in a matter of minutes and I could turn the choke off 100metres from leaving home. The new engine idles erratically, spluttering heavily unless on full choke and I need to ride for 15 mins at least until the engine is upto 75 degrees before I can switch the choke off. Riding that long on full choke is no fun and if I reduce the choke too early I end up kangerooing down the road due to the spluttering. Once warm though at about 80 degrees it runs absolutely fine. I took it back to the shop for some advice and they say its fine..........

I have taken the race cans off and put the standard ones back on and that has made no difference and I have disconnected the PCII and that has made no difference either. I have a TRE, race air filter and modified airbox but don't think swapping them out would make much difference....would it?? The only other thing I was considering was how old the plugs were on the new engine....thoughts?

Any help would be much appreciated:confused :confused :confused

Andy

·
Registered
573 Posts
i have always been told to keep the fast idle on until it hits 80c :confused stops the sump filling up with petrol or summat, mine never has so i assume i'm doing right :O

i had really bad running probs earlier on in the year, i mean REALLY bad. resetting and remapping the ecu did the trick. motoservices in cheadle did mine as he has a yoshibox.

might be your answer matey, it certainly worked for me!

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Did the shop balance the Throttle Bodies and Check the Throttle Position Sensor ?

Could be something simple like the airbox temp sensor not plugged in, try putting it in dealer mode and checking for codes etc.

Don't suppose you want to sell the blown engine ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ta Guys,

I put it in dealer mode and no fault codes came up. I don't think the shop touched the TPS or did any balancing. By the looks of it they swapped the engines and added new oil and that was about it. Something else I have noticed when cold is that engine has slight tapping noise as well...........don't know if I am starting to get paranoid though....

I am going to book it back in and get the TPS checked and get it on the Dyno whilst I am at it.....I'm hacked off cos I have lost half thr summer this year to problems

Hi Fiche man, Yes the old engine is up for sale, it was running when I took it to the shop and found out about teh loss of compression. If you are interested in buying it PM me with an offer, it will save me putting it on ebay.

Ta Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts