TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it might be time for a new car. When I say new, I mean used. What would you guys suggest for £5k? And for £7k?

I'm looking for something that can tow 2/3 bikes, possibly a diesel e.g. VW TDi, etc.

Oh, and I will have a high mileage (98k) 206 Roland Garros available soon :)

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
You'd have to give a bit more of a clue as to what you want from it really ..... we've got a Galaxy TDI that does 40+ to the gallon, carries 6 in comfort (all captians chairs) and tows quite happily. Fully loaded with 4 of us, bicycles, trailer with camping gear etc., and all the other cr*p a family needs for holidays it averaged 39mpg at 80mph on the autoroute back in August :hail Before that we had an Omega TDI Elite with the BMW straight 6 engine - mid to high 30's mpg, but that thing flew :dowhat they're a lot of car for little money and come with lots of toys :devious

Mondeo TDCI's are well worth a look to, along with the Passat's and one that really surprised me a while back was a Mazda 6 hire car - drove like a petrol car but did mid 40's to the gallon :)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
i like my Saab Aero...

2.0 ltr High output turbo petrol... economy is not its strong point i will admit :banghead.. but its fun :devious

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am quite impressed by the Passat on paper, so might take a test drive somewhere.

I'm in 2 minds about Mondeo's - they always make me think of sales reps. There is one that I like, but can't remember what model it was..? The sporty looking one.

Not really a fan of Mazdas - my family have had a few and they don't last.

Tiny - how much do those Saab's go for?

I'm also considering a Mitsi L200 double cab, but not sure about the running costs.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
picked mine up with 50K on the clock, full service history with leather and climate control, 17inch wheels and new mot for £6k :devious

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tinyUK said:
picked mine up with 50K on the clock, full service history with leather and climate control, 17inch wheels and new mot for £6k :devious
Private or trade? And is it front/rear wheel drive? Which model is it?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
private.. front wheel drive (expect to go through a few tyres :dowhat 205bhp front wheel drive.. the traction control works hard :devious) Saab 93 Aero HOT 2.0t

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
friday said:
I'm in 2 minds about Mondeo's - they always make me think of sales reps. There is one that I like, but can't remember what model it was..? The sporty looking one.
I run a Mondeo Estate 2.0 TDCi Estate in black c/w 6 speed box. Great car and good for the racing. I stick the tools and shit to one side or in the gazeebo and kip in the back on a single airbed with the seats down. I'm 5'11 and can just about stretch full out. And it has the roof bars for trips to B&Q to buy Skirting and coving etc :laugh

friday said:
Not really a fan of Mazdas - my family have had a few and they don't last.
While I had the Mondeo repaired (after a lunatic cyclist dented my roof skin with his head) I had a Mazda 6 Diesel Estate for 2 weeks, better than the Mondeo, more gadgets, better looking, better handling and faster, will be up for one of them next I think.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm starting to warm to the idea of a Saab... need to look into this a little more.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey boet - I can see you in a bakkie!!! I love my L200 - not brilliant on fuel - about 25mpg but it's a pretty versatile vehicle.

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Adria has a L200 for sale Et in your price bracket.Check out the fore sale section
The 2.0l Turbo Diesel lump in Vw's, Audi's and Seats are awesome

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
you will get a phone call tonight my friend:devious

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
If fuel consumption isn't too much of an issue (can't be if your looking at 4wd pick-ups:dowhat ), how about a real street sleeper :O the Mitsubishi Galant VR4 is basically an Evo with an estate body on top, but half the running costs :devious :laugh :laugh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts