TLZone Forums banner

New brake pads rubbing

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Bikebikerboy 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just replaced my front brake pads with EBC HH pads and they are rubbing against my disk slightly so that when I push my bike along I can hear a slight whirring noise.

I was wandering if anyone has had these problems before with the EBC HH brake pads or any other brake pads in generally?

I am thinking that they may be stiff or clogged up with gunk and so will pull the pistons out tomorrow night to give them a good clean and lube. Hopefully this will allow them to retract and should solve the problem. Any other ideas on how to fix the problem?

Thanks.

#2 ·
for the most part.. that is normall. Now.. if the drag is enough to stop the wheel if it's off the ground (front stand), it's dragging too much and your calipers and or master may need work/cleaning. My brakes drag slightly... really slightly... and there supposed to. But the wheel should spin pretty free when you give the wheel a spin by hand. Hope that helped.

#3 ·
I replaced my stock pads and rotors with EBC stuff, and yes, there was a bit of contact between the new (I assume) thicker rotors and pads.

I did stuff ass-backwards and replaced the seals and pistons in the caliper at the beginning of last riding season.

No harm, no foul on either account, except for the rubbing noise.

#4 ·
The rubbing noise is really annoying and kinda disturbing at the same time. I havn't taken the wheel off the ground to try and free spin it but I noticed that there is more resistance when I push the bike then in the past with the new pads.

I will give it a good clean and report back to how I go. If that doesn't work I may sand it down a few millimetres to give it a bit more clearance.

#5 ·
don't sand brake pads, fix the problem...rebuild the calipers, at the very least, push the pistons out slightly and clean them.

#7 ·
:stupid sanding will work until the first time you hit the brakes...then the pistons will slide out to take up the extra space and you'll be back in the same spot...now with several thousand miles less braking :yes

just clean the pistons/seals and flush the fluid. mine always rubbed a tad, from day 1 with 0 miles to the last day with 33,000 miles, brembo m/c, ss lines and tokico 4-pot radials :thumbup

#6 ·
if the pistons are clean your problem could also be the fluid level. if you ever "topped off" your brake fluid when yopu had worn pads installed, then there wont be enough room in the reservoir for the extra fluid when you install new pads. this will cause the pads to stay too far out since the caliper pistons will not be able to move back into the caliper

i.e. take some brake fluid out (again, if everything else is clean and working properly)

#8 ·
:stupid Check this first. Just look at the reservoir and see if it's over the full mark. If it is, bleed off fluid until its at the proper level.

#9 ·
I gave the calipers and pistins a good clean yesterday. About 5 millimetres or so of the piston end was crusted in black stuff and I think this was what was causing it from retracting fully.

I thought that I would be able to remove the pistons fully and give them a good clean but when I did the first one, all the fluid came out! I just ended up pushing them out half way and cleaning the ends. The rest of the piston looked pretty good anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.