TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Just got my new shock in from Lindemann,:cheers he's making those Suspension Links again so we're not all stuck at the one option of replacing the rotary damper with the ohlins anymore.
Just to let everybody know, i thought this is interesting enough to share with
everybody here.:bwtiller
http://www.le-suspension.com/
I used to have an ohlins on my '98 TLR and was happy with it but for my new TLR I was looking at either the Ohlins or something else with more possibilities and adjustabilities and came to Penske with the LE link. They outperformed the ohlins by far so that made me go with this option.

Chris.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
how much are they this go round?

good news for the penske guys :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
paid $1195 for a 3-way shock (Penske 8987) with link, also had the option for a 2-way shock (Penske 8983) for $855 with link. For details on the shocks click here:
http://www.penskeshocks.com/penskeracing/motorcycle.html
I think there are other brand shocks that will fit, that have the same lenght/specifications etc. ,but the penske is proven to work great so why invent the wheel twice...

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Where exactly does the Penske mount on the TLR?

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically the Penske shock mounts where the old one was, except the linkage is a little different. Obviously the rotary damper is not gonna be there anymore. The shock comes with a remote reservoir that is mounted on the subfame, kinda where the rotary damper used to be.
This linkage is an awesome piece, black anodised, the shock seems especially made for the TLR since Penske specs shows TL1000R-LE. All and all it's gonna look great. you're gonna have to google up some pics like I did, you'll find em.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
good to hear the prices havent gone up. :)

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
I think that it is funny that they previously (2 years ago) wanted nothing to do with making anymore links.....but now that the economy has taken a dump they will make anything.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a spacer on the stock spring that Lindemann recommends to remove. If you leave it in, it increases the ridehieght with 11mm. Removing the spacer brings the shock to stockheight.
Here's a picture of my shock:

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that it is funny that they previously (2 years ago) wanted nothing to do with making anymore links.....but now that the economy has taken a dump they will make anything.
I'm very happy with this possibility to get an awesome solution for my suspension problem.
Maybe you should get one before the economy starts to get better.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already have one.
SnailsPace, do you have it with a Penske or with the WP shock and how do you like your shock?

·
Moderator,
8,250 Posts
I've had Penske 3 way for several years now. I reckon they are well worth the money if you can afford them.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
SnailsPace, do you have it with a Penske or with the WP shock and how do you like your shock?
I have the Penske. It looks good. I have not installed it yet. I am still trying to decide if I will install the Penske or the Ohlins (I have both). At this stage with what I have read I am going to go with the Penske.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Does the Penske set-up replace the SOAS and allow for ride-height adjustment?
Penske replaces the SOAS and rotary damper on the TLR. And yes, it does allow for RH adjustment via sims on the factory clevis. However, theres a limited amount of adjustment on the stock clevis. Could have a new part machined if you wanted more height.

There is a spacer on the stock spring that Lindemann recommends to remove. If you leave it in, it increases the ridehieght with 11mm. Removing the spacer brings the shock to stockheight.
I had mine setup by Traxxion and they didn't mention anything about removing the factory spacer.

IIRC, someone (BP?) had best results w/ shim in. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Definitely a great shock setup for the TL though. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The LE Link is a bit longer so will force the swingarm to go down a bit and also the shockmount end is a little longer then stock so the angle of the shock is different to stock.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
The shortest shock that Penske can build out of stock parts is 10" and that is what the link is designed to allow and it is also a little more straight rate.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys, Front is revalved and resprung, Shock MOUNTED! You wouldn't believe the difference! MAJOR IMPROVEMENT! It's well worth the 2 thousand bucks I spent on it. Finally a ridable bike. It doesn't go wide in turns anymore, much MUCH more feedback from the rear end. When I dive in to a turn it goes exactly where I want it to go, it's almost like riding a GSX-R600. Super easy flipping from side to side.
I must say I have better feedback than I had from the Ohlins shock, I can feel the rear tire gripping the roadsurface. This setup gives so much more confidence then anything I have riden. i can recommend this to anyone! Had all work done at Re-Active Suspension, this guy really knows about suspension and does a great job! http://reactive-suspension.com/_wsn/page10.html he also does engine work.
Well worth the money!

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ran into a problem, the shock was rubbing against my stock undertail so I removed it. Also cut my hotbodies undertail, now everything fits in right, I only have to close it off underneath the seat.

Everything works supergreat!:) Feels like a comletely different motorcycle, much more controlable, more feedback, easily flipable, feels so much lighter!
I'm very happy with my new setup, good suspension setup makes life so much more intesesting, no more "fighting" the bike.

However I have to go back to Al at Re-Active suspension because the Racetech recommended front springs 0,95kg/mm for my weight (180 lbs) bottomed out under braking. He's gonna replace them with 1kg/mm springs No problem! He told me before that when this should happen this was al included in his service that I allready paid for and also for setup adjustments. His pre-adjustments were damn good so I we'll see how it works out with the new springs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts