TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished my new 1080 engine and had it mapped today.

The 1040 Custom map was actually pretty close, just a bit weak in the midrange

I was hoping for 140bhp and 85ft/lb at the rear wheel, so I was quite pleased ;)

Average figure after mapping was 144-145 over the runs and 85ft/lb

If we pointed the high velocity cooling fans at the fairing intakes and we got over 150 but that was cheating and just for fun.

The 1080 gave about an extra 11bhp and 6ft/lb over my 1040 at 9.5K rpm, the mid range improved by 8bhp and 6ft/lb so a worthwhile improvement.

Old 1040 Curve and new 1080 Curve

Before and after mapping

One of the play runs with the extra airbox pressure

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to say I had a rather sticky rear slick on the back which will have robbed a bit on the roller LOL

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Is there anything extra in the 1080 motor over the 1040 motor as my gut would have suggested a 5 hp difference for the displacement increase not the 11hp you report?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I will fetch mine through for the 1040 motor fitted tomorrow Sam

Well done great results

·
Registered
49 Posts
Damn, that's nice Sam.
Want to swap for my TLs? It will hopefully have new swingarm bearings soon..
Seems like a good swap to me
:eek:

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Very nicely done! Would you mind reminding me what all went into building that motor? One of these days I'd really like to give mine a full workover :devious

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there anything extra in the 1080 motor over the 1040 motor as my gut would have suggested a 5 hp difference for the displacement increase not the 11hp you report?
I was running stock exhaust cams on the 1040, I'd removed the decompressors on the race cams and it was a bitch to start, so put in another set of stock cams but with the verniers fitted. Also the 1040 pistons were decked to get the compression down to 14:1 so lost some of the effeciency, the 1080 pistons are deep pocket so they can retain the profile.

Very nicely done! Would you mind reminding me what all went into building that motor? One of these days I'd really like to give mine a full workover :devious
SV1000 Rods on TLR Crank
Late D Port Heads with quite a bit of port work, roof raised, inlet guides wasted etc
Kent SUZ-21 Cams dialed in to 107/107.5 lobe centres
+4mm Pistons, 14.1:1 CR, 0.9mm Squish
+2mm Throttle Bodies
No scissor gears
Lightened flywheel/sprag assembly
M4
PCIII with Custom Map
Iridium Plugs

I'm sure theres more......

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Video!

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I stopped getting that excited over dyno runs years ago, except maybe the supercharger cos it sounded nice LOL

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I suppose it's probably not that different from a standard displacement engine as far as sound goes.

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose it's probably not that different from a standard displacement engine as far as sound goes.
It sounds a bit softer on the exhaust tone, not quite as harsh as the 1040, had a nice crackle on the overrun until Paul threw a bit of fuel in on the map :(

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
SV1000 Rods on TLR Crank
Late D Port Heads with quite a bit of port work, roof raised, inlet guides wasted etc
Kent SUZ-21 Cams dialed in to 107/107.5 lobe centres
+4mm Pistons, 14.1:1 CR, 0.9mm Squish
+2mm Throttle Bodies
No scissor gears
Lightened flywheel/sprag assembly
M4
PCIII with Custom Map
Iridium Plugs

I'm sure theres more......
Cool, that gives me a good idea of what to dream for/plan on :thumb

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
good one.

the increase in performance over the expected %age is likely due to the heads actually approaching or reaching optimum area for the engine size.

optimum area improves the ve and hence to power.

you may have the magic combo there sam.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Nice work Sam! Did you use the stock barrels or did you modify them with regards to the coolant comming very close to the piston??

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice work Sam! Did you use the stock barrels or did you modify them with regards to the coolant comming very close to the piston??
Stock barrels, the skirts are getting pretty thin, hence me wanting to run these myself for a while before offering any for sale :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sam said:
I was running stock exhaust cams on the 1040, I'd removed the decompressors on the race cams and it was a bitch to start, so put in another set of stock cams but with the verniers fitted. Also the 1040 pistons were decked to get the compression down to 14:1 so lost some of the effeciency, the 1080 pistons are deep pocket so they can retain the profile.

So the only difference between the engines is the exhaust cam, or..? I seem to remember that the difference on your 1040 engine was app. 2HP when switching from the Kent exhaust cam to a stock exhaust cam? Is it a bitch to start now that the Kent cam is back?

What we really don't know then, is if the +2mm throttle bodies contribute with something useful in this configuration.

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the only difference between the engines is the exhaust cam, or..? I seem to remember that the difference on your 1040 engine was app. 2HP when switching from the Kent exhaust cam to a stock exhaust cam? Is it a bitch to start now that the Kent cam is back?

What we really don't know then, is if the +2mm throttle bodies contribute with something useful in this configuration.
I had another set of cams ground so I have the decompressors back, starts easy now.

My 1040 is about 4 bhp down on Stu's new 1040 which is down to the exhaust cams and like I said my 1040 pistons are an old design and were decked to get the compression down to 14:1, plus it's done 3 seasons racing.

You can see the flat top here which doesn't help the efficiency as much.

This is the 1080 piston

I'm also now running ported D Port Heads instead of the Round Port Heads.

Lots of little changes, I don't think the throttle bodies make much difference to be honest.

I would say based on one of my new 1040's and this 1080 the difference is about 8-9 bhp and 4-5ft/lb

1 - 20 of 62 Posts