TLZone Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used chain from someone I met up with who claimed the chain was in good shape but he "just didn't like the 520 series chain set up." I looked at the aluminum rear sprocket that the chain alledgedly rode on & it looked very good. The chain was dirty but not filthy & I was assured it only had a few hundred miles on it. I ended up buying it as the seller was local & seemed trustworthy & sincere. The chain sat for a few months as I was really busy with my track day schedule & other committments then today I decided to do the swap. I bought a chain rivet tool, a new countershaft sprocket and a new master link to finish the job. The chain was so dirty on the inside of the plates it took me well over an hour to clean! Most of the filth was buried in the o-ring area so the side plates & rollers seemed pretty clean but that was just a show. It was obvious when I got into the cleaning process the person spent a lot of time cleaning of the outside of the side plates. During the last dip in fresh WD40 that didn't turn completely black I noticed lots of gold metal shavings in the oil! Yikes! I just kept going hoping this was just a weird coincidence then dried the chain & got it on the sprockets to press the new master link in place. Got it on there & flared the ends with no problem. So I went to adjust the chain & spun the rear wheel kind of fast & found a tighter spot. So I adjusted it to that section & tightened up everything. So far so good I thought.

So I decided to see just how tight that "tight" section of chain was. I slowly rotated the rear wheel this time & found the tight spot. The free play was about 1/2 inch at that spot. That was tighter than I thought. Then I rotated the wheel so 6 links passed the finger I used to check the chain tension. Free play jumped to about 1 inch. Rotated the wheel until another 6 links passed my finger & I checked the tension again. About 2 inches of free play in this section! OMFG! I just spent about 4 hours dorking around with this stuff & find the chain is TOAST. Absolutely worthless, stretched out POS! Wasted my day off cleaning up someone's piece of crap I paid $50 for. Plus I spent another $85 on a rivet tool & $50 for a new countershaft sprocket & master link. I was fuming pissed. It took me another half an hour to find the guy's phone number & gave him a call. He told me he didn't know what condition the chain was in when he sold it to me!

THAT IS A LIE.

I was told it had "only a few hundred miles on it & it is in good shape." After telling him how what he sold me was worthless I told him I was ready to load my TLS into my truck & drive over to his house so he could check it out for himself. The seller said he trusted me & would Paypal me the amount I gave him for his trash. I wanted the guy to see how clean everything was so he knew I wasn't lying to him, that I spent a great deal of time working on this stuff & wanted him to check out how bad his chain really was. No, no, don't do that, I trust you & don't want any trouble I was told. Gave him my Paypal address & hung up the phone. It's been about 10 hours & no Paypal. :^(

Learn from my mistake & even if you meet face to face with someone do not buy a used chain from someone you do not know personally. DON"T DO IT. Some people think selling you their garbage is OK & don't give a damn if you waste half a day away dealing with their crap...

Every person I have had problems with on this site resides in the good old US of A. Every single person who tried to cheat me, steal from me, get me fired from my job or who sold me plain crap lives in the US.

BUYER BEWARE.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Used chains are just not worth the risk to your bike and your life.

You did what most people wouldn't, ie checked for tight spots etc which prevented you hitting the open road with it on, well done mate.

It would certainly have snapped very shortly, either smashing your crankcases up or worse still jamming the rear wheel up and throwing you in front of an oncoming vehicle.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I am the dude who sold him the chain, I said it had a few thousand miles on it not a few hundred, you are the expert my friend, not me, you checked it out, I asked you if it was good, you said yes. I am not going to waste my time trying to screw you out of 50 bucks. I have never had the words cheat and steal associated with my name, you called me last night 4 months later and I said no sweat, you can have your money back for the chain, sproket and back pack I also gave you which you failed to mention. I will pay pal you in a few days when I cool off, If you come to my house, better bring friends.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used chain from anyone. :no
I feel it's too vital, and too hard to verify the health of a chain, to take the risk.

Thank your experience that you checked the chain as thoroughly as you did.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used chain from myself:lol

BTW TL Mike has awsome prices on the RK chains. I run a DID ZVM on the TL, but ordered a spiffy gold XW ring RK for the MX bike from Mike:banana

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think it is decent of Wacked to offer the money back most ebayer wouldnt....
Dont think you should of slammed him over $50........make up and move on....

Nothing here to see.........

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I slammed no one.

Where did I mention a name or call someone out?

:coocoo

I pointed out something people should be aware of. I assume I am a fairly competant mechanic & that's how I based my decision that what I was buying was good. But I relied on someone else as I couldn't measure the amount of stretching involved & obviously that is a critical evaluation technique when you purchase something like this.

I mentioned no names, therefore I slammed no one. I could have easily done that but that was not my point. That name was omitted purposely & I knew that thread was long gone so people trying to research who it was would hit a dead end. I was not going to mention names, why bother. No names would have been brought up unless the issue didn't get resolved. No, it was not near that point. I'm not a low life who chases down folks & threatens violence. I have better things to do with my life than contemplate committing a felony. Screwing up the rest of my life over a used chain deal is retarded. I just wasted more than half a day I could have spent reworking my track bike's forks & throwing new brakes on it or going riding on a day when the weather was awesome.

A little frustrated?

Ahhh, yeah.

Just pointed out to folks here not to do something that's all. And to be wary of dealing with the people in the country I live in. Yeah, that sucks & I am tripping out at people living in this country. Two members I have dealt with in the US regarding issues of property not being returned or items bought & not shipped in 5 months required police involvement in order to be resolved. Another US member here called my boss at 6AM to try to get me fired from my job due to a disagreement we had in a thread! What's up with that? All the international dealings I have had have been more than terrific.

Wacked seems to be a good guy.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
mr dobalina didnt slam anyone, that retard spoke up and called himself out. mr dobalina was venting his frustration, which is in his right to do. With his level of experience, i seriously doubt he would have bought a used chain if someone had said A FEW THOUSAND MILES> no one would. its cool that the dudes gonna refund him and all, but what the ****, acting like internet tough guy with his better bring friends bullshit. wtf? and dude if youre gonna paypal him, get off your ass and paypal him. what is that about? are you teaching him a lesson by making him wait? Glad i didnt deal with this turkey. :thumbdown

and once again YOU CALLED YOURSELF OUT :laugh we had no idea who he was talking about until your guilty conscience got the better of you. man priceless! :lol

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
It takes balls to man up. :yes

No since things seems to end up just fine, where's the

:locked:locked:locked

·
Registered
676 Posts
First off dread you are a asshole. Dobawhatever came to my house, I said the chain had a few thousand miles on it, which it did, the rear sprocket had a lot less, he got that also, and a back pack I also gave him being he had no way to carry them on his bike, he stayed for over a hour just bullshitting arround, I like the guy and he knows his shit, I did not know the chain was shot, being the expert he claims to be I figured if it was bad the dob would know. When he called me 4 months later I had no problem refunding his money. Was busy that night, checked the board in the morning before I was going to pay pal the dude and read a bunch of slams which were totally uncalled for and got pissed. Give me the chain, sprocket and back pack back and you can have your 50 bucks, I would send you the money first but at this point I don't trust you. One more thing Druge, Dread or dipshit, you are the biggest asshole of all.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Stop with the slamming, no call for it. I see it as he bitched about a chain and you were offended, dread saw it as bad, money refunded, advice given, let it go.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Pet Hates

My main one has been locked threads

Here is one.

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1025981#post1025981

When a chain wears due to the rollers/bushs etc it obviously gets longer.
The common method to detect that is to measure between the pins over
a set distance to determinine stretch up to a maximum of 3%.

Here is 520 chain for example

Locked threads which have not addressed the problem (Mechanical)are worthless
to those who might be reading and are wanting to avoid the same thing themselves,
be that simply wanting to measure the chain on their own bike to determine replacement.
Ie..It may be a person of limited mechanical skill's
but they would have no problem using a rule to measure.

Stretch measurements are readily available on the Net for various pitch drive chains.
As is what to look for on drive sprockets to determine wear.
It is not hard with an installed chain,bike on the rear stand,some pressure placed on the top run so some link measurements can be taken at various points on the lower run.

Admittedly there will be those more interested in Dayglo hand grips,blue chains and tire colouring pens,but there will still be some folk out there who want to learn. (I hope)

Over and Out. :laugh

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...TLDV8 that's good info, you have a diagram for a 530?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
wreckah - yup, even checked my old chain myself when the shop told me it was time to replace it. Like the 90° kink didn't give it away :laugh

Blue chains? Man, now I want a blue chain ... gold is for lame-o's :banghead

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I'll add the info to the thread :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.