TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think my bike is producing enough power. I can't get the front to come up in any gear except 1st and thats barely. (I am also shifting my weight to the back).

My bike backfires alot and shoots small flames, is this reducing my power? or simply something I can leave if I don't mind the backfire (I don't :devious) Iv'e heard stuff about the pair valve, and exhaust gasket being loose. I don't know which one is the main cause.

I want to install a TRE mod, is this something I can do by myself fairly easily? I feel mechanically retarded when it comes to taking stuff apart, but common sense stuff is no problem. If not I'll have to take it to a dealer.

I bought the bike used so I don't know if the power commander is mapped correctly. How do I go about remapping it and increasing the power?

Sorry for the long post, but your advice is very much appreciated. :hail

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
When was it last serviced ?

ie, new plugs, valve clearances, filters etc

Start there, then try removing the Power Commander and see if it makes a difference.

What gearing are you running, 17/38 is about stock

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stats

I just got an oil change and filter with a new rear tire last week. Other than that I haven't done anything else to it. I bought it used in great condition with 5,000 miles, it has a full yosh system so I don't understand why I would disconnect the power commander?

·
15,415 Posts
First thing is to change the plugs, TL's need them replacing every year at least, they eat them.

A Power Commander is to correct the fueling when an engine is modified. They come with base maps on a CD to get you started. You then need to get a custom map programmed in at your local Dyno to make use of it for your particular modifications/Bolt-ons/ECU Version/Milage and whether the Factory Assembler was having a bad day.

A "One for All" base map will probably make your bike run worse, disconnect it and see if it improves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
power

Thanks! I'll have the plugs replaced soon, hopefully that will help. Any thoughts on the backfire/shooting flames during hard de-acceleration problem? If I'm not losing any power, I'll just keep it that way, kinda badass at night :devious

·
Registered
531 Posts
TL's have an emissions system (called PAIR) which injects air into the exhaust system under certain conditions. The additional oxygen can cause small amounts of backfire on stock bikes. On top of this, your aftermarket exh system will cause motor to run lean (especially if PCIII is not properly tuned and/or functioning)...lean = hot = combustion in the exhaust (backfiring).

Some minor popping on decel is nothing to worry about. And even what you're describing doesn't sound like its a significant contributor to the overall "low on power"

Whats your riding experience? The TL1000R is no match for newer liter bikes, or even I4 liter bikes of the same vintage. The TLR is about the same acceleration-wise as a 750cc ZX7R / GSXR750 of the same year (and yes, i KNOW that's oversimplifying it...).

Lots and lots of posts about power, PCIII, PAIR system, etc... Take a few hours and read thru...you'll find a LOT. You may also want to seriously ask yourself why you have the bike. If you're looking for the best handling, R1 killing, all-day stand-up wheelie bike...sorry...you bought the wrong bike. If you think you can mod it to get there...another 'sorry' in store for you. Nothing personal and don't take my comment to sound mean, just saying it like it is. But you're definitely in the right place if you need to know ANYTHING about the TLR. :thumbup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bike stats

This is my 2nd riding season on my TL1000R. I first learned on a 03 CBR600R and then rode a 08' GSX-R 1000 for a couple weeks (nice best friend :laugh), then bought my own bike last year. I wanted a blue and white with white rims bike, but wanted more power because I am an acceleration junkie, so went with the 1000 thinking I was getting that. (money was an issue also)

I am slightly disappointed when I compare acceleration to my best friends bikes, gsxr 1000, r1, r6, even the r6 has some jump. I appreciate your honesty and think I'll stick to 1/5 rifleman, tre mod, and maybe pair valve and then just stick with it, untill I have enough money for a new gsxr 1000. Badass bike tho, everyone I know is scared of my TLR =) :devious Nothing like being the ONLY person with a TLR when I go out, and getting the WTF is that look from people on the road.

Cheers and ride safe!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
As Sam said, service the bike and get it set up on a dyno. A TL will never be as quick as a GSXR1000 (well maybe Sam's S) but with a full system and a good set up it should have more than enough power to keep you happy and should certainly have the edge on any of the 600s my TLS certainly has no problems eating them up, they only have a chance at the top, where the TLS is not so aerodynamic but a TLR should be quick up to too with that big pointy fairing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am slightly disappointed when I compare acceleration to my best friends bikes, gsxr 1000, r1, r6, even the r6 has some jump.

Cheers and ride safe!
Yup, what you're seeing is about par for the course. I often ride w/ my friend who has an 05 R6. I can definitely pull away from him a lil bit, but not as big a gap as you'd expect if thinking 600cc vs. 1000cc. When i first got the bike i shared some of your reaction when my friend's older ZX7R had no problem pacing thru 70-130mph range in straight-line.

However, the torque and sound of the motor is something you'll hopefully grow to love. I'm personally past the spec-sheet racing, don't need the latest/greatest/fastest. TL is a unique bike, fun w/ some suspension mods and way more than anyone reasonably needs on the street (but everybody is different...).

Enjoy the bike, hopefully you will get addicted! Glad my comments were taken constructively. Its just not the bike to try to dump money into unless you love it and realistic about its potential.

·
15,415 Posts
I'm personally past the spec-sheet racing, don't need the latest/greatest/fastest. TL is a unique bike, fun w/ some suspension mods and way more than anyone reasonably needs on the street (but everybody is different...).
:stupid

I had to buy and try a GSXR1000K7 on the track to get that out of my system, did 3No 20min sessions and sold it again. Long Live my TL :laugh

·
Registered
992 Posts
Good thread to all contributers. Well written and very to the point. I have often been asked why of the old girl. Its not spec sheet racing that drives me anymore. Simply the ride ,sound and the torque of our beloved TL's. Nicely put Keena, Sam and even the cat that suggested letting us have first dibs when he sells. LMAO I loved that one. Learn to ride the bike, it makes up for horspower or quickness of the machines involved. Fastest guy dont always have the fastest bike. Remember Scott Russell at Daytona? Eh, maybe not your probably too young. Damn whippersnappers....................hahaha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts