TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everybody else would do.

I shipped some parts to a member on the 11th via USPS Parcel Post. Me being a dumbass, I didn't get a tracking #. He says the parts still haven't showed up and I have no reason not to believe him. I can't have a tracer put on the package to try to find out where it is until 30 days after shipping.

We have agreed that if the parts don't show up by tomorrow, the 27th, that we will work something out.

He has already said that if the parts don't show up, he wants a full refund. If the parts show up before he finds something else, he would repay me. If he did find something else first, he would send the parts back to me if they show up.

My question is, should I give a full refund and is it right for him to request a full refund?

I realize it's not his fault that the USPS lost the package, but it's not mine either. I just want to do the right thing. All of you advice and opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
IMO it's in the hands of the USPS and you (both) just gotta bite the bullet and wait 30 days or whatever till you can trace it :O I think worrying about refunds etc is a bit premature ...

·
Moderator,
8,227 Posts
It's the responsibility of the seller to get the goods to the buyer. This is one reason insuring stuff is a good idea. It's also the reason I will usually use UPS for more expensive items since their packages can be tracked from shipping to delivery. I think the arrangement you've worked out is a good one, go with it.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
I've said this before.

it is the responsibiltiy of the buyer to insure the goods. once the goods are paid for they become the responsibility of the new owner. In fact they become the responsibility of the buyer upon agreeing to purchase them. If the buyer had requested tracked mail or insurance then you would need to have complied but if no such contract was entered into then the problem lies with the buyer.

you sold the goods , packed them and posted them by a method agreed upon by the buyer, you have fulfilled your contract.

I have just bought goods from you and had they gone astray I would have not expected you to compensate me in any way.

In contract law you have completed your end of the agreement.

It is not your integrity as a seller that is in question here , just the reluctance of the buyer to take responsibility for his own end of the contract. you have no requirement to compensate him for lost goods, that is an issue to take up with the postal service, they have entered into an agreement with him thru you to deliver the goods.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys.

I offered a price for both Priority and Parcel Post. The buyer chose Parcel Post, but did not ask for delivery conformation or insurance. I should've got it anyway, but didn't think about it until it was to late.

·
Super Moderator,
2,653 Posts
My local PO says that Parcel Post takes "up to 30 days"
I have had packages take 5-6 weeks before.
I use priority now for 99% of packages that go through the PO.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anybody know if a large package would take longer?

The box was about 28" x 19" x 14"

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'll throw my .02. My wife and I run an Ebay store and deal with this alot. We always offer the option for the buyer to purchase insurance. If they don't buy it and it doesn't get to them, that's on them. We keep all of our receipts so that if the buyer tries to file a complaint we're covered. If you put it in the mail, you fulfilled your end of the bargain. It's not your fault that they were too cheap to pay $1.60 for insurance. Small price to pay.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I do have the receipt. I already scanned and showed it to the buyer.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
and yes big items take longer. especially O/S .

postal services usually fill containers for shipping. they have periods of holding while they build sufficient volume , then they ship the items.

you've done your bit, its up to the buyer to sit it out till the item arrives.

I just sent a swinger to the UK from oz , best case scenario is 8 weeks. buyer knows I sent it by paddle steamer so we are both on the same page when it comes to communication. trouble is the postal services seem to have become the new age scalpers when it comes to overcharging.

·
Registered
651 Posts
IMHO as a buyer if insurance is offered to me I always take it exception being someone like speedking or van etc.. who has exceptional service and volumes of feedback. When I deal with ebay and insurance is offered I take it no question so that my end is covered in a'just in case' situation.

Like already stated in contract law you have held up your end of the agreement and no insurance was taken or requested by the buyers end so... It could be the postal service they are sooo slow... I mean of course help the guy anyway you can but do not feel you need to give him a refund if it was not stated.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again, guys. It is all sorted now. The buyer went to the post office to check if the package was there and it was. He said the postman never left a notice and it had been there at the post office for a over a week.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Well that's a good outcome:thumbup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts