TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear cyl on 2001 TLR is filling with gas drowning plug.
How probable is it the injector is stuck open?
I took off the airbox and turned it over with the throttle blades open so I could see the injectors squirt and one injector on each cyl squirted one squirt for the initail firing. So it wasnt stuck open when I had it apart. Any ideas? Everytime I go to fire it up the rear plug is wet. Put in a dry plug and it starts but one cyl is intermittent. The front cyl seems to be firing fine. Please help!:banghead

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
dumb question here ,but what have youchecked already? Do you have a powercommander? maybe its goofy? have you put it into dealer mode to check for fault codes? Willl the bike Run after you put a fresh plug in the rear? Help us to help you. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked spark. OK
Facts are the rear cylinder is filling with gas. I think I read a posting or 10 about the crankcase filling with gas and mixing with the oil. I will try the search feature for that.
I can only guess that there is a prob with the rear injector sticking open. I turned it over with the throttle blades open and saw one injector in each intake squirt once for initial fire. So what I saw contradicts what I think is happening. Just lookin for some ideas. I will try the dealer mode for codes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The problem with gas in the crankcase is generally from bike running too cold and the fuel not atomizing properly and slowly working its way past the rings and into the oil.

Your problem could be due to a faulty injector or a weak spark. Its quite possible for the plug to spark out in the open, but not be able to spark under pressure. I would start by trying a new plug if you haven't already - TL's are picky about this. Then I would think about replacing the rear plug wire/boot. Mine went south and the result was a fouled rear plug and it only running on the front cylinder. Replaced the lead/cap/plug and was good to go.

good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it runnin, for now. We will see how she wants to act tomorrow when cold again. I might try the hotter plug idea. Are the irridiums worth it? Best place to order them?
For those of you with runnin issues make sure you have the plug wires pushed all the way
down on the plug, the whole time mine were only at the top of the plug not snapped down on it. I found this out by pushing a plug into the wire before I screwed it in, I was surprised how much pressure it took to fully seat it, the sound and feel is what to look for. I even have to put some lube on the top rubber seal to be able to push it down far enough. I believe this was my major prob, seems like it could use a remap. Really rich low in the rpm's. Poppin out the exhaust and sluggish of idle.

·
Registered
926 Posts
My tiller wouldn't run on iridiums.:O
I even tried the hotter burning ones and they would foul in 2 seconds, PC2 or not, plus mod or not.:O
Put in the stock plugs and it runs like a CHAMP!:hail

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
i have a set of T/B's if you need them PM me...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
my mates tlr had similar probs

crank it over and leave it ticking over and it only ran on the front cylinder and foulde the rear give it some gas it would fire up on both

it turned out to be the coil breaking down :dunno

replaced coil and its fine

try swapping your coils to see if it moves from back to the front

stu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts