TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so its time to change the tires on my baby.. after 7100 miles on the 208s and still plenty of thread left, i figured i should start looking for a good tire.. front and rear. im looking at the pilot powers, metzlers M3 and the qualifiers and Diablo corsa.. i will post prices later but the fronts range from 95 to 110 and the rear range from 150 to 170
sizes are 120/60/17 and 190/50/17.. they will see 30% track 70% street.. so any input on what is good is much apreciated.. thanks.. if u wanna know exact prices just ask and ill post:)

Ash

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Your going to get a lot of opinions here but I'd go with what you can find a good deal on. All are great tires. I've personally had luck with the Bridgestones for the percentage of track/street you are doing.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I find that I love Dunlop UK Racing Slicks............:coocoo

And BT014's

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I'm on the fence between the pilot powers and the M-3's...go with what you can get the best deal on...they're both great tires...

·
Registered
608 Posts
conti attack are good and cheap. my cost 263.00 shipped to hawaii, from tireexpress.com, i like them and grab real well , but its just depends on the person

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
chraika1 said:
....... after 7100 miles on the 208s.....
Holy smoke! that is over 10000km :confused I wish my tires will last that long!! Anywho.. bx-459 maybe you can tell if the slight pointyness of the mpp is helping to make it feel nimbler?

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Loki-TLR said:
Holy smoke! that is over 10000km :confused I wish my tires will last that long!! Anywho.. bx-459 maybe you can tell if the slight pointyness of the mpp is helping to make it feel nimbler?
I haven't used them myself but dogsoup (another member) needed a set to pass inspection so I sent him the MPP 180 rear/stock front combo I already had in the garage and he says he loves them...not exactly what you asked for but the best info I had to offer...

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
just put on a set of pilot powers.. have always used 014's up till now or a set of Metz racetecs for really sticky fun :devious but i can honestly say that the pilot powers are awesome! was out and to the edge of the tyre within 20 miles of having em fitted with no hint of a problem and the turn in is soooo nice...

120/60/17 though :confused any reason why you are going for the shallower profile :O

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
tinyUK said:
120/60/17 though :confused any reason why you are going for the shallower profile :O

I was thinking the same thing. That would drastically effect turn in. I think it would be very difficult to flick. If it is because you want the front lower put a 5mm spacer on the rear shock and reset your suspension settings (sag).

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was looking for new tyres to go on mine aswell and was speaking to a guy at the weekend who track prepares TL's and hey said if you drop to a 180 on the rear instead of the standard 190 it holds the road much better and reduces your front end chatter.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whats the stock front tire size i thought it was 120/60/17? or is it 120/70/17? i heard about the 180 rear and my friend had 180 on his tiller.. 2 things i can say.. first they look gay for a fat ass and skinny tires 2nd i felt more comfortable riding my bike compaired with his bike.i donno it could be a pscychological thing.. i think im gonna keep the size stock..thanks all

Anyone tried the diablo corsa?

Ash

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
The corsa have a deal right now buy one and get one. I believe you get the front. I have the Diablo Strata's from them and they have been decent, the rear pilot only last me for around 1500 miles. I may have pushed it a bit more but it did not last long.

You will likely be fine on the tire you choose. Style of riding affects the longevity of tire wear.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Fragle said:
I was looking for new tyres to go on mine aswell and was speaking to a guy at the weekend who track prepares TL's and hey said if you drop to a 180 on the rear instead of the standard 190 it holds the road much better and reduces your front end chatter.
Been that way since 97, they like a more triangulated rear profile and a bit more rideheight.

currently using qualifiers, nothing feels like dunlops unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
120/70 and 190/50 is the stock sizeing. The front is as good as your going to get, either a 180/55 or 190/55 (and correct ride height adjustment) will be an improvement over the 190/50 in terms of handling. You can't really buy 190/55 tires in street compounds, but you can in track compounds.

I'm very happy with a 180/55 personally (I have mine on a 5.5" rim too).

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I would consider a 120/190 set in a pair of Michelin Pilot Power radials or a set of Bridgestone 014's. Both are terrific.
Ken

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've heard good things about Avon tires from a few different people. Heard they stick to the road like glue!:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts