TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am going riding Sat. with Tillerfizzer and haven't ridden in awhile. Put the bike on the battery tender overnight, next morning, starts right up. Go on our ride for breakfast, hang out for a bit and come home. Real quick, installed a GPI/TRE awhile ago and bike has been a little funny since then, takes forever to start when hot, one time not at all. On our way home, I notice that the speedo and tach needles are at zero, but mileage, temp and LED's for GPI are working. Pull in clutch and bike wants to die. Get to red light and have to rev engine entire time stopped. Take off, now everything is dead. A minute later, everything is back on, displays, needles, GPI lights, whatever. Now have a fault code of c41, fuel pump relay. Get home shut it off, put it on the stand, try to start, and all it does is crank. Kills the battery. Turn key off and it is still cranking until the battery is totally drained. Put multimeter on battery and it reads .300 mV. DEAD!. Go get a new battery, try to install this evening and as soon as I touch positive, it starts to crank. Key is out and kill switched is engaged. WTF! I have no idea what is wrong except that the GPI/TRE is the culprit. I will be removing it when I have time and will be putting it up for sale. Any suggestions as to what is wrong would be greatly appreciated. Also, before it died completely, when I would turn the key on, you could hear the fuel pump prime. Please help, anybody.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
The only way the bike can turn over with the ignition off is stuck or energised relay contacts.There would appear to be some wiring/terminal issues.
With the battery disconnected there should be no reading on the Ohm setting at the relay terminals for the starter cable and earth. (or something like that)

The GPI/TRE should only be related to the wiring from the GPS.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Also, before it died completely, when I would turn the key on, you could hear the fuel pump prime.
That would be normal if the kill switch was on run also.The kill switch powers the fuelpump relay.

Strange about the cranking with no key.
Earlier in the year i stopped for a young dude on an early GSXR750 which was doing the same thing after his bike had fallen over.He was freaked about it.
I simply removed the solenoid,taped the wires,a bump start and he was away.The contacts had jammed somehow with the fall.

·
Registered
186 Posts
yeah it kinda sounds to me like your starter relay is stuck closed. and your other symptoms sound like a floating ground going on somewhere in the harness. take a screwdriver and tap on the relay authoratively witht the handle end a few times while there is no power to it and see if this doesnt possibly unstick the contacts. but i think u might just be SOL buddy cause if you let it crank like that till the battery died there is a strong chance the contacts welded them selves together i would think. also while u are there take a look around for any loose connections or frayed/abraided/pinched wires as these could be contributing the other problems. wish ya luck

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I think I might go look at some of this stuff right now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DING DING DING! We have a couple of winners! TLDV8 and Clamrammer were both right. Apperantly the starter solenoid was just stuck. Took it out, smacked with a heavy pair of pliers a few times and voila, I was able to put both wires on the battery with it turning over. Turned the key on, hit the start button, and it cranked. Turned it off and it went off like it is supposed to. That is why this place is great, I don't post much, but when I have a problem, there are people that are more than willing to lend their knowledge. Keep up the good work guys.

·
Registered
186 Posts
just make sure you keep looking around to see if you can find any loose connections and or broken/frayed etc wires as i really think that is what your other problem might be. with it being sporadic like you were saying it just sounds too much something loosing connection or making a connection where it shouldn't be

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Excellent skills on fixing it yourself :thumbup :thumbup ......but can you trust that part now :dowhat
It seems a lot of stuff nowadays is built to a budget.
The relays seem fine if the bike starts close to first pop but if you have to crank it for any length of time it can generate enough heat to start melting things perhaps.
I had been looking for a compact quality automotive stand alone solenoid so the TL starter circuit was not connected to the power feed to the main loom but never found anything that wasn't more suited to a dump truck...Still looking.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I've got a spare relay if you want to come and get it. I live in Long Beach and work in Orange, which is closer to you.

BTW this is a common problem on my BMW. When batt is low starter stalls and takes a LOT of current, basically all that's left in the battery, and welds the contacts together. On the BMW the battery is so big it starts a fire at the ground cable. BMW's solution was a new-type relay that won't crank if the voltage dips, the relay drops out before the motor stalls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts