TLZone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to do the aibox mod this winter, but i think i have an airleak on the hose running to the valve in airbox. If i remove all the hoses thats pointed out in the airbox mod, and removes the flapper in airbox.

First question:
Can i then drive the bike, without problems until i get time to remove it proberly. It's a TL 1000 S - 99 model.????

Second one:
I't seems to me that the flapper in the airbox is open when bike is off. Is it how it should be??, and when the engine runs, it uses vaccum to close until 4000 rpms.???

Thx. from Denmark.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
Velkommen :thumbup

You can remove the hose at the port on the throttle body.
:thumbup The flapper closes via engine vacuum which is cut off around 4000 rpm,the spring then opens it.
You can remove the plug off the solenoid on the left rear of the air box no problem also.
The bike may run a little leaner after you have done the actual cutting mod but should be fine for now. (A yosh box +5 at low range if a little lean surge off idle)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About the flapper.... You said that it closes by vaccum, but on Steves TL1000S pages, i read this:
The Air Valve aids with throttle response by not allowing too much air to enter the throttle bodies at low engine speeds.
With the engine not running, the Air Valve will be in the closed position.
The Air Valve will open at 4000 RPM.
Start engine and allow it to idle.
Look in the left air inlet duct on the bottom of the air cleaner.
Verify the Air Valve is closed by the Actuator Rod being in the down position.
Rev the engine to 4500 RPM.
At 4000 RPM the rod should move upward, opening the Air Valve.
Allow the engine to idle, the valve should close again.
If the valve does not work properly, check vacuum hose routing and connections.
Follow the troubleshooting procedures in the Service Manual, section 4, if needed.
Turn off engine.

Mine is open all the time??? When i look inside the airbox, and engine not running my flapper is open. How can that be??

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
a vaccumhose unhooked or something have been removed or broken :dunno

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
About the flapper.... You said that it closes by vaccum.

Mine is open all the time??? When i look inside the airbox, and engine not running my flapper is open. How can that be??
I could have worded it better. :O

The spring opens it as it should be with the engine not running,no restriction.
The vacuum closes it making a restriction.
It depends what open and close is regarded as :O:confused

That way should the system fail the tract will be clear because the flapper will be in the open position.
I am fairly sure your set up is correct but it is over 18 months since i rode or worked on a TLS in my defence.:laugh

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my english is not perfect, but i try. ;-)

And regarding the damn flapper, ill remove it totally so how it work, doesnt matter. thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding AIRBOX mod.

Need to know something, and i hope you would try to help me.
I have removed all in this pic.

The valve (flapper) is still in the airbox, but open.
I have blocked the vaccumhose from the throttlebody.

Can this make my bike run leaner???
I think i lost some "grunt / oompf" when acc.
Should i get it remapped??

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
This whole stuff is safe to remove, the important thing is that you blocked the vacuum connection on the throttle body.
The flapper has no influence on injection (but higher airflow with the airbox mod has).

Greetings
Rufer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.