TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Need some advice - Am looking at in the first quarter of next year going over to LA (11 hr flight from where I am) to acquire a TLR - Mainly because it is a hell of a lot cheaper than going to Australia or NZ to get them. Am intending to do some serious mods to the bike before shipping it out to the South Pacific :dowhat - Appreciate if you could recommend a bike shop in LA preferably near LAX Airport that would be able to accomodate doing all these mods for me? and a performance parts shop where I could source performance parts and add ons from. www.indysuperbikes.com has a lot of TLR stuff that I would get but it appears to be half way across the US. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If I am not doing anything like wrenching on a team at that point or going out of town with track day or WERA West committments (& if I have time) I may be interested. I live in the L.A. basin & I am familiar with most high performance shops in the area & most have very little experience with TL's.

However there is one member here that owns a high performance shop & has built a custom TL. He runs an AMA race team & as a factory supported "B" team running Suzuki GSXR's they have done pretty well against the factory guys. His member name here is MPTRacing & his shop is located in the eastern part of the Los Angeles basin, in Montclair. That's Matsushima Performance Tuning & the link to their website is http://www.mptracing.com & ask for Grant.

:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Mr Dobalina !!! :) and offer :D

Definitely be looking into what you've posted if not end of this year by early next year.

I've sorta got a list of all the mods and performance enhancements that I would like done (and hopefully still ensure it's street legal) - the first part though will be acquiring a pretty decent bike when I'm there.

Looking at being in LA for 3 weeks - Would that be enough time for the more common mods as well as the not so common like the big bore kit?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Do you guys ride on the right or left side of the road there? If it's the left side don't forget about sourcing some headlights made for that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I guess it depends on whether you are concerned about blinding oncoming cars/trucks with your headlight aimed right in their eyes :O U.S. lights tend to point down and right.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Thanks for the info Mr Dobalina !!! :) and offer :D
Looking at being in LA for 3 weeks - Would that be enough time for the more common mods as well as the not so common like the big bore kit?
Depends on your timing. I know that the time period just prior to the Daytona AMA races is crazy hectic for teams competing in that series. Some get the stock bikes from the factory about a week before they need to be loaded up into the trailer for the trip across the country! Then they need to source needed parts from aftermarket sources who recently got those bikes as well! That on top of going through new engines and setting up suspensions. Then finding out how to make last year's race bodywork fit on this year's bike because the aftermarket fairing manufacturers will probably not have this year's bodywork past the mold making stage yet despite assurances they will deliver it in time. Yeah, stress city. Try making it out here after Daytona as there is a nice break in the AMA schedule after that round if you plan on using the services of a race shop that runs in that series. Contact Grant at his shop & I'm sure he'll elaborate on that further.

I haven't got my schedule for next year yet so I don't know how busy I will be around that point. But I do know race shops that run race teams running in that series will be very stressed that 2 week period before that first race.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mr Dobalina,

I should know in the next couple of weeks where I am with this project. Have sent you a pm.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts