TLZone Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be doing my 2nd track day this Friday. Unfortunately, the weather isn't looking too pretty. Mostly cloudy with chance of morning showers. Highs only in the mid 50's. With temps taking a dive like this I'm kinda apprehensive about riding aggressively. Should I take it extra easy with temps like this? Or am I not giving the Pilot Powers as much credit as I should?

P.S. I don't have tire warmers. How many laps does it take before the tires get up to a decent temp?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
TAKE IT EASY! I don't have warmers yet, but I usually wait at least a lap, two if it's cold before I start riding remotely aggressively. I did a trackday like this back in February with a brand new rear tire. I looked up my writeup, you can read it here as I put in info and talk about all the idiots who overrode the conditions and ended their day early.

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63574

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Pilot Powers usually warm up quite fast, even when the weather is cold.
One small but important hint: Tyre pressures are about the same as for hot weather. The powers won't work better with lower pressure on cold weather.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Just keep in mind that it's a track day. So many people go out at warp 9 in session 1 and promptly pound themselves into the ground. Often you need to wait a bit for the condensation on the track to burn off. I'd let a few other people go out and see what it's like and have them report back. Otherwise, just start really slow and work into it with time. Colder weather just means longer warmup and smoother riding are required. I often run my pressures a pound lighter on a cold day but that's just the way I like to do things. Your tires won't bail you out quite so well and sound, smooth technique will be the key. Unless you have money for rains, it might also be worth pulling the plug on the day. Tippie toeing around a track all day in the rain can be such a drag sometimes.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hoping it doesn't become an all day rain type thing. The damn weather forecasters change the forecast as often as I change my undies. I guess I'll have to wait until the day of the event. I'll still go out but I'll just take it easy. Even if I just hang out in the garage all day, it still beats being at work :devious

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
madkaw said:
The damn weather forecasters change the forecast as often as I change my undies.
Wow, good thing you don't live in Texas. They change the forcast here way more often than once a month! :rotfl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts