TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I took the radiator out, and went had the holes soldered. I lost the radiator cap some where along the way, but I used the one off of my TLR. It's not leaking anymore at the radiator, I took the bike for about a 10mile ride. I parked it and it's gurgling out the overflow tank and onto the floor. The engine never overheated, stayed about 185-190 unless I was sitting longer at a light. The fan does kick on about 220ish. Did I not purge the system well enough? I've put a full day in, and need a little advice. Never heard from the guy about the radiator, but this one seems to be working ok.
I dont know how to purge the air out of the system, does that sound like what's wrong now?
Apprciatively,
denee'

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do not see why anyone would want a bike larger than a 600 cc in the GSXR's.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
denee.
i usualy jusy squeeze the hoses to help the bubbles come out.

*CAUTION HOT WATER*
another thing you can do is run/idle the bike on the stand with the cap off untill the bubbles purge out & just top up when needed.

no water in oil ?
why i ask is bubbles constantly in thr rad is a sighn that the head gasket has gone south & OR head warped as well - time to replace gasket & drop oil & filter/flush out.

hope its not the later for you :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done this all before~ there's no water in the oil, and no bubbles coming back up the radiator neck/inlet when it's running. I can't help but think the radiator cap is not the right one for this bike, (darn, I had to lose that cap!), I'm using the cap from my TLR1000. I jsut assumed it would work. I called Suzuki and asked his opinion about the cap, but he wasn't sure. He didn't have a cap in stock anyway.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
which bike is this on? The TLR has a bleeder valve screw that you have to back off to bleed the air out during filling. Most all bikes/cars have a bleeder screw located somewhere. The new GSX-R's in below the Throttle bodies, lift tank, blah blah blah.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dragonbro, you're the first one that said anything about the bleeder, don't leave me now! This is my '06 GSXR600. So I need to take the tank off? And bleeding the air will not make the coolant come back through to the overflow tank you think?
dene
The bike

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this will have to continue to tomorrow. I can't keep my eyes open, going to bed now my friends! I want to hear more about this air valve dragobro please!!:hail

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Denee, let it sit overnight, check the level in the radiator in the morning. Make sure the reservoir is full and you will be fine.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Cap pressures

If you have warmed it up in the driveway with the cap off and squeezed as many hose as you can and the level stays up to the neck, that is not your problem, don't bother digging for the bleed screw, you don't need it.

The cap could be, since the dealer" didn't know", I guess that means you need to tell him how to find out. He needs to pull out both manuals and look for the "cap testing specs" that will tell you what numbers each cap is designed to operate at. Maybe you should go there in person, he will have a hard time saying no.

Good luck, nice bike.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
good point about the cap pressures van :idea I have no idea if the cap pressures for the TL and the GSX'R are the same.......The dealer should have one, or look up the part numbers on www.ronayers.com to see if they are the same for the TL and GSX-R. I know the bleeder on the 05 GSX-R 1k is where I said in above post......I would think it would be the same on the 600. Again, ask the dealer or pick up a service manual.

It might settle down over night like doug said :O it sounds like you have air trapped in the engine block behind the thermostat. the t-stat isn't opening properly and allowing the water to circulate, instead you have a pocket of steam pushing the water back out the radiator over flow/cap. It only takes a little bit of air to cause the problem. It could also be the rad cap pressure dilema......get the proper cap and pick up a service manual or ask a qualified suzuki tech where the bleeder is :) good luck.........I hope you've rested well before reading this and you have a better day :thumbup

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I looked it up for the 04 gixxer...doesn't mean it's gonna be the same for the 06, but just for arguments sake.

Gotta love when things are standard.
04 GSXR600 cap should open at 13.2 - 17.5 psi
The TLR cap should open at 15.6 +- 2.1 psi, or let me do the math...13.5 - 17.7 psi

That's pretty darn close I'd say.

·
14,150 Posts
Again from the 04 600 manual.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gixxerjasen said:
I looked it up for the 04 gixxer...doesn't mean it's gonna be the same for the 06, but just for arguments sake.

Gotta love when things are standard.
04 GSXR600 cap should open at 13.2 - 17.5 psi
The TLR cap should open at 15.6 +- 2.1 psi, or let me do the math...13.5 - 17.7 psi

That's pretty darn close I'd say.
Jasen, are you saying they're not very close in relationship and otherwise quite different? Just threw me off when you said " That's pretty darn close"

I do know a shop that is open tomorrow that carries a good supply of stuff, maybe he'll have the cap. I'm going to go ahead and lift the tank off and check the air bleed too. When I have it running one day, I do plan this bike to become yellow, but not until I've seen it run the way it should.

I sure appreciate all of your help everyone, I know this bikes going to be ok, it's just being honry right now! lol I'll get cleaned up and go pulll the tank to sneak a peak at the bleed valve.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know it!! Yellow rocks!

OK, I"ll bleed this system and start all over again, getting pretty good at taking this crap all apart. I had that radiator out in 20minutes the other day when I had it repaired! If a thermostat screws up, it's either open or shut right? If it was stuck it would overheat greatly? right? So its' shouldnt be a thermostat prob.
again thanks,
love you guys!
dne

·
14,150 Posts
I'd not paint that bike. As much as I like yellow too, it's damn purty just the way it is and still goes well with your gear.

Yea, I meant that the .2 psi shouldn't make much of a difference.

Good luck! :thumbup

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I couldn't get the air box off to get to the air bleed. I tried, but the carbs or whatever have allen screws holding them on, and I don't have that small of an allen, and I have to take the injector plugs off too. They're really difficult to get to.

I have the bike pretty much apart as far as seeing into the radiator and such. I started the bike, sloshed it from left to right, started it, got up to 190ish and it warmed up ok, but then when Kill it, coolant gushes out the fill and then it's empty again and the whole process starts all over again! It never overheats, just belches the coolant out! I"m discombobulated and don't know what to do! There were tiny bubbles, but I kind of expect that, but that went away.
Take it to the shop? I just hate that this is wooping my butt! I'm not that bad of a mechanic!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AT least some yellow graphics here and there? At least they can be removed.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you tell me how to get these clamps lose to take the air cleaner box off? or is there another way?
The other photo is of the radiaotor, you can see where the fan ate the radiator.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts