TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife,her family and I are heading to yosemite again this year for a lil family outing. Last year when we went, there was a bear outside our tent (normal I know, but the bastid was 5ft away. Now, I know it's illegal to take your firearm into a national park, but where is your right to protect yourself and your family? I own quite a bit of firearms legally and I just have a serious problem with not being able to take my sidearm to protect in case of an attack. I know were in their (animals) backyard, but I still don't want to see my sister being attacked by a Mtn lion and not being able to do anything to help.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather live to see a day in court, than to die (or see someone else) die and not do a thing about it. Anyone else understand where I'm coming from? I love nature, always pick up after myself when camping I don't disturb the wildlife, but I want to be able to LIVE to enjoy it another day. Would you still carry to a national park like yosemite? Or would you rather shake branches and yell and hope??

·
Registered
646 Posts
You're good if you bring it "disassembled" and in a locked case. Better than nothing, I suppose.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i think to be useful it needs to be un-disassembled"
True, but then it is considered "operable" and illegal. Without knowing the type of firearm in question, I'm assuming the owner would have some way to partially disassemble the firearm in a manner that would facilitate quick re-assembly should the situation require so.

More interesting reading on the subject (very recent):
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/05/12/national/w153933D89.DTL&hw=firearms&sn=004&sc=592

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I always bring one just in case. A short barreled mossberg with a pistol grip is just the ticket. A big bore handgun might be a more practical option if space is limited. I'd go out and buy a Ruger Alaskan in .454, just in case. :devious

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i plan to take my Beretta 96 .40cal. i plan to carry it on my vest as i did my 92 standard issue. it obviously wouldn't be brandished and used unless ABSOLUTLY necessary. im more worried about mountain lions than the blackbears honsetly.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
what is it with you americans and guns.

take a safety horn , the type that runs on a can of air.

don't be fooled . pump a round in to an animal at close range and it just may kill you.

scare it with 145db of noise and you both live to see another day.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
If you have to shoot then make sure it's a kill! A wounded animal is far worse a prospect coming at you!

Yosemite.................... only been there once and it was still too early in the season, we only saw a single Coyote :banghead

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

don't be fooled . pump a round in to an animal at close range and it just may kill you.

Not a bad idea, but an air horn might just piss 'em off worse. Then its: "Where's an American with a gun when you need one!!!"

If it came down to it, I'd be much more comfortable with a gun than a trumpet.

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts

What is it with you Non-Americans talking to us actual Americans about our guns? :laugh

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
what is it about you guns talking to us about americans?:laugh

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A sidearm would be a last resort. I have and airhorn as well. And as far as the Americans with guns comment, I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I don't see anything in those articles about flamethrowers.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Hey I'm going to be a gun owner in a couple weeks. So.... "stay away from our guns ya liberal commie hippy, Ring In."

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Hey I'm going to be a gun owner in a couple weeks. So.... "stay away from our guns ya liberal commie hippy, Ring In."
come any closer and I'll blast you with my air horn!!!!!ya gun totin' redneck!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts