TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone my name is Alex, and I am addicted to TL1000Rs!!! I've had several bikes; 03 R6, 04 Duc Monster, 90 Duc Paso 906, 78 Honda Cx500 cafe racer, 73 Yam XS chopper, 1937 BSA M20 500cc flathead single British military bike. Just to name a few of the more recent ones, But the TLR is always my favorite ride. There's just no substitute...

Fueling the addiction. I've got two TLRs one is a 01 the other a 98. The o1 was a theft recovery (plastics), which I bought at a local salvage auction, and have since rebuilt, somewhat. It's my daily ride, least when there's no snow on the roadways! The other bike is a 98, it's a burn victim that needs some help. But, for the low asking price of $300 I couldn't pass it up. The gauge (at least what was left of one!) shows 4763 miles, the engine turns over and I hope to have it back on the road in short order. AS you can tell I'm a rebuilder and take great pride in taking cast off/damaged parts and bikes rebuilding them and putting them back on the road in as good or better than they were!

Anyway, the 98 TLR has an Ohlins rear shock and a swing arm that I've never seen on a TLR (on the net or around town!). It's black and is top braced and boxed in. All the welds are excellent; the swing arm is not extended. I can't tell whether it was a something that Ohlins had sold with the shock or one of the coveted Factory Suzuki competition parts. I looked through the copy of the factory race manual that's up on jiffypark.com and it didn't have any pics of a race rear swing arm. Does anyone recognize this swing arm, any guess on value!?

:O :confused

Attachments

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Can't see shit

How about a better picture with some light? I know my monitor sucks, but I would like to see it. Maybe a sponden or JMC?
Better pics please

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry those pics are all I've got at the moment, bad lighting it was at the end of the day.

I was thinking that too, but spondons are typically tubular in style. It could be a JMC generally they are pretty good about putting their name on anything.everything they make. I can't find a mark on this piece.

Here's the same pics brightened up a bit!

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
300 bucks and it has an ohlins...You made out like a mother fo. Just send it my way for 300 and youll never have to worry about that mystery swingarm:devious JK, It does look like a tlr swingarm that has had aluminum plate welded into it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See, I thought all TLRs had bottom braced swing arms. Am I wrong? I've seen alot of TLRs and never a swing arm like this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not a normal TLR swing arm, that's for sure. Was it made by Suzuki, not sure. But, I do know that they offered competition parts for racing.

Does anyone know if a competition swing arm was even offered from Suzuki for the TLRs?

This is no backyard "get er done" type shade tree mechanic part. I've looked it over several times. The welds are beautiful. And believe me, I restore european sportscars for a living. Mainly sheetmetal work/welding.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not a factory modified unit. THe factroy did brace it on the bottom, and lookat the adjuster ends, they are surrounded. Anyone have an arcey?...could that be it? Ive never seen an aftermarket that looked so much like a factory style unit. My bet is a factory unti from another bike modded to fit.

sjd73ss said 300 right?...Okay Ill give you $301.00!! LOL

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah like I said, it was a nooooo brainer. And then I saw the ohlins sticking it pretty gold canister out behind the bike and it was done. I picked it up an hour later!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I saw yellertwins bike. But, it's still bottom braced. Boxing a stock bottom braced swing arm would take alittle work but, fabbing up a new swing arm? That takes some doing....

I've looked around on Ebay to see if maybe it was a modified unit from another bike that has been fitted onto this bike but, there aren't any that look like this one. 04+ 1k gixxers look similar but not really.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It appears to be very similar to a GSXR Swingarm. Possibly a SRAD but maybe more along the lines of a 2000 750. A fe racers tried the mod, just not sure if it was ever worthwhile because you had to heavily mod the donor swingarm for clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
:O All I can say is it's definitely not a factory part, and the first thing I thought was if it is a TLR swinger then it's upside down:laugh All TLR swingers that I've seen are bottom braced.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
The chain adjuster blocks look like JMC or Metmachex to me :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts