TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got home yesterday from work and noticed a spot of oil on top of the oil cooler. Couldnt see where it came from so I just hoped that it was from something in the road as I ride fairing-less.

This morning I checked it before I left for class and nothing was there. Got back from school a few minutes ago and to my dismay noticed the same spot had some oil on it. I gave a pretty extensive visual audit around the area and could not see other oil anywhere. :O

So this leads me to believe that it only leaks when the engine is on. What would do that?

I plan to look at it again when I ride it to work but any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated

By the way, sorry for the crappy camera phone pic. It was all I had on me :banghead

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
i have seen some similar threads and where the oil was coming from was exhaust...although there was much debate as to how??? my opinion was front cyl. Ex.valve guide seal...

someplace to start???...good luck...

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
What color is the oil? Pitch black or more like regular engine oil yellow-brown?

My guess would be head gasket or head cover gasket.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
It's not coming up from the cooler rather than down from the engine is it?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@CW - Thanks for the idea. I hope it isnt something internal as I have no desire to tear the cylinder down :(

@ Octo - the color is not pitch black, but I did do an oil change recently so all of the oil is still pretty fresh looking

@Steve - I was thinking that maybe it is coming up from the oil cooler, but I have yet to be able to visually see it happen.

This morning it did not leak anything so until it becomes a constant thing I may not be able to accurately detect it. I have been more vigilant in checking the oil level and it seems good (right below the Full Line). If its anything I hope its the oil cooler cuz that thing is nasty looking anyway.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Here is a crazy thought... Pair valve tube full o oil from air box? undo the two bolts and see if oil drains from either the tube or cylinder..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could the pair valve be full if perhaps there is a bit more than needed oil present?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your pic shows that you have a full race exhaust to me. (Springs hold the pipe to the exhaust flange). Is it possible that oil is seeping past the exhaust valves and then spraying out of a marginal leaking gasket because the flange is not tightened? Just trying to help with suggestions. You are from Goergia so I don't know what the weather has been down there but if it is cold enough to shrink an O-ring (exhaust seal) in the morning then maybe oil could get past that seal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please excuse my ignorance but is there supposed to be any oil that gets past the valves?

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
That was my thought.... if lots of oil made it into the air box... maybe some of the overflow was making it's way into the pair valve tubing... it's a reach i know... but an easy check.. 2 10mm bolts.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
my first thought is always drippage from the air box. If you're running your oil that full then when you get on the throttle (not even wheelying, just hard accel will do it) you're more than likely blowing oil into the airbox which is then finding the path of least resistance to drip down.

C

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good call CMonkee. I've read numerous threads about the TL not needing oil all the way up to the Full Line. I'll try draining a bit out and cleaning the airbox then see what happens.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
err uh.. yeah.. forgot to mention that the front of my airbox has a "drain". that lil thing will fill with oil and dribble down. It usually only happens after running at redline all day at the track. :) but something to check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts