TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my ZR550 under the knife last weekend. It's getting a repaint, fork rebuild with progressive springs, spec valves, ZRX shocks, new chain, Kerker pipe from a GPZ, SS brake lines, new pads, Pods, handle bars, and so on. It's been fun so far.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's a good looking bike:thumbup

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Oh I miss my 550 Zephyr, I had the first year, it was blue, loved it. Money got tight and I sold it to eat. I need to hunt one down.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I've got one just like that too :hail Mines not quite as complete as that though :blush took it apart a couple of years ago and haven't quite got around to putting it back together yet :banghead

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Cool bikes once you get past the lame name. :laugh

I had a GPZ 750 then a Ninja750R way back when.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Gotta have a Kerker logo on it to be "right". Come on the hugger doesn't work on that bike. No shock to protect, the stock fender works fine.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
:stupid ditch the hugger :yes

Personally, for me, the can needs to be higher - just under the ally bar to the rear footpegs - it looks like you could get it closer if you were to bend/roll the hanger bracket around the can a bit :confused

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm bidding on a Kerker badge on Ebay, otherwise I don't know where to find them. Not even on the kerker site. I may or may not on the hugger. The rear fender is going to be cut off that's why I'm trying the hugger. It will be much shorter over the wheel and painted black when and if we finish it.

And I am going to be raising the exhaust. Looks like it could go up at least an inch.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the KR1 wheels yesterday and the Kerker badge. Wheels will be blasted and painted white. Still deciding on tires.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I nearly won a 99 ZR750 at a bike rally 3 months back.

I was 1 of 5 lucky draw winners to get a key...mine did not fit-sucks!!!!!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Kerker Badge! :hail

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More work completed yesterday. Here's a shot of a manual cam chain tensioner installed. A member on the Zephyr zone forums makes them (Mark - klx678). I must say it's a great piece so far. We fired the bike up after following the instructions and not a single cam chain "clunk" was heard from the engine. Worth every penny IMO. I'll post a sound clip once I get the exhaust back on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changed out the spark plug boots with some new NGK units and a set of new copper plugs for carb tuning. The carbs were WAY off on this thing, we're surprised it even ran, not surprised that it died so much when it was cold lol! They're now back at their factory settings with .112 jets installed across the board.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are the ZRX rear shocks I got for a great price from a member at the ZRXOA forums. They really raised up the back end. Has a much sportier look. Not to mentions it's pretty firm back there now.

And here is a shot of the front wheel, brakes, and fender. Painted the calipers black and have SS lines. Will be replacing the rotors with a gold units from a Ninja 600 to match the rear shocks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Best for last, LOOK AT THIS TANK! I couldn't be happier with the turnout. Since I couldn't get the original Zephyr decals I hunted around for something cool. These are supposed to be flanking the front side fairings of a 2009 Concours 14. They have a great retro yet modern look.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
That tank sure does look purdy :thumbup

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looking good! :drool

1 - 20 of 35 Posts