TLZone Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well my tyres are just about shagged:dowhat three quatres rubbed out and bubbled at the edges, but hey I did get 5K out of them. So now I'm after a new set.

I'm looking for the best price in Sydney for some Michelin Pilots (race) soft, 190/50 back and 120/70 front.

Mind you if enyone knows of a better tyre drop me a line.:dowhat

As I said before, I'm based in Sydney and I need them before next Sunday.

Can anyone help?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Can't help you with an alternative.

I use Super Corsa's and not in a rush to change to something else, but having never run a set of Pilots (of any type) I can't say which is the better tyre.

(Diablo Strada's would probably be fone for me, but it's all in the head, give me sticky).

·
Registered
929 Posts
What about a set of Metzeler M1's for $350 new? I fond them to have a nice sticky compond.:devious

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Can't help you with an alternative.

I use Super Corsa's and not in a rush to change to something else, but having never run a set of Pilots (of any type) I can't say which is the better tyre.

(Diablo Strada's would probably be fone for me, but it's all in the head, give me sticky).
Muppet, are you looking at Pilots for the street and/or track?

I use Super Corsas on my TLR and Pilot Powers on my GSXR track bike ... wish I had them the other way around.

Whilst the Pilots are an excellent tyre for street, they are not good for the track. Likewise, I find the Super Corsas lack a bit of feel in turns and don't turn in as well as the Pilots for street use. Hence, my reason to put the Super Corsas on the track bike and Pilots for the street bike.

The Pilots offer exceptional grip on the street and, as far as I'm concerned, a normal street rider would never use the full potential of the Pilots. On the track however we found the Pilots took a little longer to warm up than the Super Corsas, and the edges of the tyres were harder to keep warm. I can't remember the figures, but we measured Left, Middle and Right side of tyre after a session, and the Pilots had a bigger gap in temps than the Super Corsas. This we believe is what led me to lowside at the last track day. Everyone I spoke to said if I'm running in the low 1.20s I should ditch the Pilots and run with Super Corsas or slicks.

On the street however, I'd prefer the Pilots any day. An excellent all round performance tyre. Push it too hard however and you may be better off with the Super Corsas.

Thats my opinion however. Others may have a different liking :O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
What about a set of Metzeler M1's for $350 new? I fond them to have a nice sticky compond.:devious
I only ran the one set of Sportec M1's. I liked the tyres but I was able to get them to slide - not scary but very uncomfotable, I'm not at a level where I want to slide around.

The M1 rear didn't last long I had to take it off at 2800km, I got less out of a MEZ3's but liked them better.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I had the Super corsa's, Great tyre ridiculously grippy but for genral street riding i dont think they lasted very well.
Just got Pilot powers to replace them and i cant say a bad word about them.
But.. like the boys above said depends what your riding on

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hey Mods there should be a Sticky thread where people post up the tyres they've used with Klm's/Miles theyve got out of them, type of riding used for etc etc
so people can go straight to that and make their decsions.
Just seems to be heaps of tyre threads ( i know im guilty of one):O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
It keeps the board active :)

There seems to be regional issues too. Us Aussies ride really hard, or have really abrasive roads or other markets ride like pansies because mileage seems to vary from country to country even on the same tyres. Road temperatures might have a lot to do with it too.

I could get no where near the mileage quoted by some, even out of the the same tyres. :dunno

Anyway, what oil is best for my bike?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
:thumbup Yeah fair call Steve
was just an idea but your pretty spot on.Different country temps and what not and the fact that yeah Aussies ride harder:lol

By the way try Olive Oil for your Gixxer. Ive heard its healthy:laugh

·
Registered
929 Posts
You don't need new oil for your Gixxer.Usually a new modle comes out before you are due for an oil change.Just trade it in !:laugh

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tyres are a big deal.:dowhat to those who no nothing

A link is a very :hail good idea

I use the TL on the track and the road. Finding a good balance is not easy.:confused

I'm getting the TL set up tomorrow - that's front and back end as well as the tyres. James at Circuit Breakers in Sydney has put me onto a company in St Peters. I'll ask around some more and see what I can find out.:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
It keeps the board active :)

There seems to be regional issues too. Us Aussies ride really hard, or have really abrasive roads or other markets ride like pansies because mileage seems to vary from country to country even on the same tyres. Road temperatures might have a lot to do with it too.

I could get no where near the mileage quoted by some, even out of the the same tyres. :dunno

Anyway, what oil is best for my bike?
Very true, plus temps and rider weight make a huge difference. I suppose if we had a spreadsheet with tire type, life, stickiness (1-10 or something) weight, average riding season temp, location etc I could run a regression and see how much of the variance is explained:) If most of it is explained useres could in-put their specific data and the model would predict the mileage they'd get out of a set of tires.... compiling the data would be a pita though, unless there's some way folks can enter their data right into something exportable to excel:O

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I use the TL on the track and the road. Finding a good balance is not easy.:confused
Then I'd say that the Pilot Powers are a good all round tyre for your use (I assume a majority of it is street).

As above, most street riders will never reach the limits of the Pilots on the street. I've found their limits on the track, but I'm an aggressive bastard into turns and now learning to be aggressive out of turns (hence, my lowside on exit last track day) :laugh Turn in is excellent; feedback and stability in turns (including bumpy turns - dependant upon suspension set up) is excellent; and overall grip once warm is excellent. Its the consistency of the grip at the track I had a problem with ... but then again, that may just be my aggressive riding style at the track.

:thumbup

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought some Pilot Powers for the TL and got the front and back end sorted too:).

Graham who fitted the tyres said that when racing its best to do a couple of laps to warm them up or put tyre warmers on them before racing.

The Powers take 10km to warm up roughly.

I would usualy run at 30psi but with the Powers it's recommended 33psi and on the road 36psi for front and back.

As to cost I paid $500 for tyres and set up. Not sure if this is a good or bad price:dowhat

My original question was also where could I buy them cheaply?
We are all on a budget "apart from Steve and Ruby":laugh

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
price seems good - i paid $520 for mine just 1 month ago

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you have a dedicated track bike - put slicks on it. If you like super corsas (and i do) put pirrelli slicks on. They are the same compound without the tread. I found these great on my TLR, wouldn't use anything else (well maybe a bridgestone slick as i use them on the race bikes and love em but i never tried them on the TL).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts