TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve's experimental breather system "SEBS" :laugh

My airbox has always had oil spewed into it. I've had my own ideas about a breather system for a while and today I finally did something about it. It's not so much as more breathing capacity, but better separation of oil from the cases (I hope).

Here's my thinking.

The TL engine has a one way reed in the valley that is supposed to suck air and oil from the oem separator through it when the cases have negative pressure (pistons rising) but what happens is the air takes the path of least resistance and goes back in the rear rocker cover vent and not much enters via the reed.

So I wanted to force all air entering the case to have to enter via the reed in the valley. To do this meant fitting a one way valve to the rocker cover line so it forced one way travel - all air exiting left via the valve cover - all air entering enters via the reed (and hopefully causes it to suck oil out of the oem separator too). Ideally the system would have 1 litre of capacity, but I couldn't get that the way I had planned.

The most readily available one way valve I could get hold of is a PCV valve from a car. But it has it's disadvantages that I had to work around.

*It will only work when mounted vertical

*Pressure must be applied to the bottom / vacuum to the top.

*It has to be the highest point in the system because any oil sitting on top of it can't flow back. (The line would eventually fill with oil and then add more resistance / pressure in the crank case.

So I mounted it on the top of a little separator. For any oil to leave the separator meant the bottom of it had to be higher than the valve cover outlet. I didn't have the room, so I put a fitting on the bottom and oil can flow back via the clutch cover.

Click for big-uns.

The components

PCV mounted in its grommit on the top cap

Inside the separator. I ran the line down to the bottom so the vapor would have to change direction and flick some of the heavier oil droplets out. Also, when it leaves the tube and hits the larger volume, its velocity will drop, hopefully dropping more oil. (Although the clutch cover vent might negate some of this :dunno)

Just incase some oil is spat out of the clutch cover.

Assembled

Temporary fitting and line from the clutch cover. (I used what I had available - read "free" if the set-up work's I'll lash for a fancier fitting and line). There's plenty of room between the V to run it.

No VCSV on my modded box, so I had some room to fit it here. I'll make a bracket that bolts up to the VCSV mount and use the hose clamp to fix it in position.

Tank's down, no clearance problems, can hardly see it :)

If this doesn't work I have MKII & MKIII on the drawing board. I wont use the valve cover vent at all for MKII. MKIII I'll fit the PCV directly to the valve cover and ditch the clutch cover line. I also have to find a pre-formed rubber elbow to fit to the larger PCV valve as I temporarily had to fit a smaller one with a right angle on top so the OEM line to the heart didn't kink.

It's 100% reversible as I haven't had to cut any exiting lines etc.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I made an air oil seperator for my TLS which is almost exactly like Doug's design except that I only vent the rear valve cover and not both. The seperator goes in the tail of the bike and so far it seems to work perfectly.

Good work Doug!:thumbup

Just an idea if these designs do not work for you. Your ideas look cool though. Let us know how they work out.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Steve, have you dynoed the damn thing yet? See if you gained anything from better flow?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TLRDoug said:
Steve, have you dynoed the damn thing yet? See if you gained anything from better flow?
I haven't. (It was late and dark when I finished it) I don't expect any change, as I really haven't increased the flow, just tried for better separation before it hits the airbox.

MKII will increase flow if this doesn't work :)

J

·
0 Posts
nice, finaly Steve does something for the breather. I was always thinking why the silence when it comes to breathers....:devious

Design looks good, but only some testing will show how it works.It may push some stuff up from the clutch cover line. too bad that line is not see throught...

JarkkoT.

Did I mentioned that Honda needs no breather mod.:devious

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JarkkoT said:
nice, finaly Steve does something for the breather. I was always thinking why the silence when it comes to breathers....:devious

Design looks good, but only some testing will show how it works.It may push some stuff up from the clutch cover line. too bad that line is not see throught...

JarkkoT.

Did I mentioned that Honda needs no breather mod.:devious
With the cap off the clutch cover there is some fling. So I'm getting another cover and I'll fit a right angled fitting to the centre of it and hope there is a lot less fling there :devious.

Doug hooked me up with one :hail

If the weather is OK this weekend it will get a good workout. If it doesn't work too well, I can go back to stock on the side of the road.

All in and mounted. (Old VCSV mount came in handy :))

J

·
0 Posts
by adding so wings to the clutch basket top, the center of the cover should generate vacuum:devious

go for it:hail

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a little bit of Doung on my bike now :laugh He hooked me up with a spare clutch cover that I promptly drilled a 20mm hole into :)

MK1A - Fitting moved to the centre for (hopefully) less oil fling off the clutch basket. I gave it a 40km shake down to check for leaks etc and so far so good. (This weekend I'm going for a decent ride and will have a better idea of how who well it separates or not)

(Still using temporary lines and fittings until I'm satisfied :))

·
Registered
244 Posts
Digging up an old post reference TLS breather pipe. I've seen a few other old posts about this but quite a few of the pics are now unavailable.

On my '99 TLS, still with standard airbox I have access to this oem breather separate. Is it worth me routing a new pipe to this from the rear head cover and to the external filter? I don't have too much problem with oil in the airbox as keep level down, but the last few rides the oil temperature has been in the late 80s°C/ creeping to early 90s°C

I don't want to carry out the airbox mod just yet as have done quite a few other bits recently so just want to get out and ride it, but while while I have the airbox off I could tinker with the breather pipe.

Any new updated photos/info regarding this?

Phil

·
Registered
181 Posts
Digging up an old post reference TLS breather pipe. I've seen a few other old posts about this but quite a few of the pics are now unavailable.

On my '99 TLS, still with standard airbox I have access to this oem breather separate. Is it worth me routing a new pipe to this from the rear head cover and to the external filter? I don't have too much problem with oil in the airbox as keep level down, but the last few rides the oil temperature has been in the late 80s°C/ creeping to early 90s°C

I don't want to carry out the airbox mod just yet as have done quite a few other bits recently so just want to get out and ride it, but while while I have the airbox off I could tinker with the breather pipe.

Any new updated photos/info regarding this?

Phil
i originally built my breather off of this thread and a few others. i'm going to be tearing it appart since that was a LONG time ago. I also have an aftermarket breather i'm going to be installing. I'll try and take some pics as i do it.

Which air box mod are you looking at? i've done the flapper delete mod and it seems to pull harder, but i don't ahve any numbers to back it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts