TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa managed to fit this in the sack. He also remembered the gear. :)

The weekend was so nice here but of course Xmas and the day after (when he got the bike) were crap so we couldn't do that much riding. He's still a bit short in the leg so I rode on the back with him but gave him control of the throttle and brake so he could get use to them. I have ordered the training wheels so he can ride it until I can come up with a solution to lower it a bit or he gets a little bigger.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
:hail Good going Santa

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sweet:thumbup :banana Now dad will need something to ride off road with him:devious

BTW I think MFI usually stocks the training wheels, the owner is a huge proponent of kids/familes riding:thumbup

I bet you could gain an inch or so of height reduction by shaving the seat foam down a bit. You might be able to lower the suspension a little without too much trouble as well. Also, in general your not supposed to be able to flat-foot a dirt bike.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet:thumbup :banana Now dad will need something to ride off road with him:devious

BTW I think MFI usually stocks the training wheels, the owner is a huge proponent of kids/familes riding:thumbup

I bet you could gain an inch or so of height reduction by shaving the seat foam down a bit. You might be able to lower the suspension a little without too much trouble as well. Also, in general your not supposed to be able to flat-foot a dirt bike.
He's actually the perfect size. He can get a foot down and keep the bike up but for starting out and getting the coordination right he needs a bit of help. The wheels will be a short time fix as he hates things that do not let him do what he wants.

Dad has thought about a little something... :devious

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Awesome!!

I am eagerly looking forward to that day. Santa dropped off an electric, training wheel equipped, Indian Chief at my house this year. My guy is about to turn 2YO on Jan 1, so it makes sence. Baby steps, ya know!

·
Registered
122 Posts
My son is 3yrs old and I can't wait to buy him a dirtbike. Hopefully he'll be riding his bicycle good enough to take the training wheels off this spring. That's how I gage if he's ready for a dirtbike. On a side note: he does have a modified pwerwheel that's running about 12mph.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
thats awesome. :hail you must be a proud father for sure.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
He's actually the perfect size. He can get a foot down and keep the bike up but for starting out and getting the coordination right he needs a bit of help. The wheels will be a short time fix as he hates things that do not let him do what he wants.

Dad has thought about a little something... :devious

Cool, sounds like fun:thumbup

A CRF250X would match quite well:devious

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Burn:

How old is your son?

Mine is 14 months and it's all I can do to wait until he can ride a 50.

For now, he's riding his new electric quad (too bad it's a Yamahaha);

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's almost 5 now. :)

He's been trying to stunt on my TL's for years... :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
5yo is an awsome age:thumbup If it were me I'd try without the training wheels at that age. The MX kids usually start racing (no training wheels of course) around 4yo - of course kids progres at different rates etc, but I think most are able to handle a 2-wheeler by 4-5yo without trouble:thumbup Helps if he's riding a bicycle already too:)

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wheels will help him learn the controls. Once he's got the hang of them I can see the wheels coming off a short time later. I want him to be able to enjoy it from the start and not get frustrated with something trivial.

He's been off training wheels for a while now. :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Cool stuff:thumbup Do whatever works for him:yes

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I was looking for one for Alex (6) but decided I'd wait a bit longer. He still has some difficulty riding a bicycle in our neck of the woods. On pave surfaces he's fine but out in the country he still needs more practice.

A cr50 would probably work well for Alex. I could not buy a new one and I was not able to find any used one's in a decent size range, so I decided I'd wait a bit longer. I did not want too powerful for him.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Hey burn, if your not worried about matching colors exactly, check out the husqvarna bikes for your self as well. They have the best all around off road performance thumpers going imho. If you are thinking about racing MX stick with a jap MX thumper though. You could even get something like a TE450 along with a pair of 17" wheels.......:devious

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I bought my son an electric cbr 600rr replica when he was 7 or 8. The first time he got on it he crashed!!! He got back up, got back on it and hasn't crashed since! He tries to stunt the thing too :lol. The rear is all broken up from trying to do 12 O'clock wheelies!! He's 10 now and is looking for something bigger. I guess I'll have to break down and spend the money soon.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I can't wait until I can get my son a dirtbike. Hopefully by this summer he will be ready and I can afford one for him and one for myself. This is what he is riding now. He got the quad and gear (excpet for the helmet and gloves) for Christmas. Junkyard, how did you mod the powerwheel?

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bet that thing is fun in the snow. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can't wait until I can get my son a dirtbike. Hopefully by this summer he will be ready and I can afford one for him and one for myself. This is what he is riding now. He got the quad and gear (excpet for the helmet and gloves) for Christmas. Junkyard, how did you mod the powerwheel?

Those are great photos! Eveything you need to know about making your power wheels fast can be found at http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/. My son has the previous year model and he beats that 4 wheeler to death. Here's a picture of him and his cousin christmas 05.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts