TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been boning up on the '06 Yamaha FZ-1. My local dealers are selling them for $7,999. Knock off the setup charges and I am gonna buy one. Here is one with the Yamaha accessory lower fairing and a Scorpion can :drool

The FZ-1 is a bit TL like as they come imperfect from the factory, but they respond very well to mods. Like a TL, one just has to spend money. It seems Yamaha neutered the midrange power somewhat via electronics and such, but hogging out the stock airbox, adding a properly mapped PCIII, a Dynojet ignition advancer module and a slip on yields 147 hp and a fat midrange curve. I call 100 hp at 7,000 rpm TL like midrange and then of course that is followed by 147 hp party on top. All this in a comfy good looking nice handling and comparatively inexpensive bike. It baffles me why these are not selling like free beer.

First up, the airbox mod. Looks easy enough :)

Choked up stocker:

Opened up heavy breather:

Check the comparative power curves, stock vs. modified on an FZ board member's bike. Lowest curve is stock, the middle is with a PCIII, air box hogged out and a slip on, finally the highest curve is all the above with an ignition module. Word is the ignition module really livens the part throttle response.

Check out what a modded FZ-1 does to a stock '04 R1 at real world engine speeds. :cheers

Better tuning through electronics on these here modern motorsickles. Preliminary research completed, acquisition plan engaged. This is going to be fun :hail

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looks cool:thumbup I'd consider one cool bikes for sure. I'm still all pissed off that they shrunk the fuel tank though (pint sized fuel tanks are a major pet peeve of mine commuting a hundred miles a day....).

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have read, they will do 150 miles pretty comfortably, depending on wrist angle. One guy on the FZ board wasn't too good at math and thought he had gone fewer miles than he had. He went precisely 175 miles and it coughed and died with an empty tank. I appreciate his doing the research (and the pushing) on that matter. Range would seem to be at least the same and probably better than my TLS, which goes about 130 miles before I get nervous about the no longer blinking, and now on full time low fuel light.

The mods described cost about $1,200. A bit steep, but then I rationalize it by the fact that a lot more than that got spent on my TLS getting it right.

I like the looks of the bike and in modified form, it has a nice street power curve. What I really like is how it fits me. When I sit on it, with it's comfy bar and peg locations for my 6' tall body, I can easily envision 350 mile days in the Colorado mountains.

It will be poignant seeing the TLS go though, it is my favorite bike I have ever owned and nothing will ever throb and snort like it does when it hits 7,000 rpm. Much as I love my bike, the time to move on has come. I will of course keep haunting this place :)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Duken4evr said:
It will be poignant seeing the TLS go though, it is my favorite bike I have ever owned and nothing will ever throb and snort like it does when it hits 7,000 rpm. Much as I love my bike, the time to move on has come. I will of course keep haunting this place :)
I have no idea what you're on about :laugh

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
One of my coworkers at traxxion just traded his old fz1 for the new one. We've already got the setup for the weird comp on one fork, rebound on the other fork design. The cool thing is you only need half as much of the valving parts so its pretty cheap.

They look really sweet in person.

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might be sending you some fork legs :)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Wow! didnt know the fz had a lower fairing for it. Looks incredible :hail

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Looks great without that crazy stock can.
I'm sure it will be a fun bike

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Duken4evr said:
From what I have read, they will do 150 miles pretty comfortably, depending on wrist angle. One guy on the FZ board wasn't too good at math and thought he had gone fewer miles than he had. He went precisely 175 miles and it coughed and died with an empty tank.
I usually fill up my TLS between 165 and 175 miles (yeah, its pretty darn close to empty by then) and I complain about that. One of the few requirements for my next street bike is much better fuel range - I'd like in the 300+ relm, but there's not many bikes that will do that (ST, connie, Weestrom perhaps...).

I rode a V-strom yesterday. It was unbeliveably comfortable, didn't do much at all after 6k rpm (lacked that hit the TLS has around 7k) and was geared to the moom (3500rpm at 65mph). Handling was ok, but a little weird although I didn't set sag or anything on it so I can't say much in that regard. Overall I liked it, but would have to fit TL heads and get the handling to be a bit less ponderous. I'm sure the FZ1 is quicker and better handling though.

have fun

BTW I think once I fit the 4.2 gal tank to my little DR I'll have a 300 mile range on it:lol

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, I amazed you went 175 miles on your TLS. I would definitely be pushing mine by then. My bike pretty much gets 35-40 mpg. The worst I ever got was 22 mpg, duing a track day. Running 6-9K rpm all the time under heavy throttle will do that I guess :)

I am curious about FZ fuel mileage. It would not surprise me if it did not do a bit better after the timing and fueling are corrected for more power. A friend of mine had an R1 and he always got about 45 mpg. Who knows.

I rode a Strom too awhile back. The stock gearing on my TLS felt short after that. It was ridiculous. 1st was good for wheelies though. Pretty much right bewteen 1st and 2nd on the TLS, and with the Stom's squishy rear end, it reared back and did nice ones. Easy set down too with those squishy forks. Squishy power, seat, suspension, brakes (compared to my braided line equipped TL). Yep, a stock Strom is "squishy" :laugh With the right mods and tuning, it could be very nice though. They are super comfy :hail

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
TLS 100-120 miles but it could use some fine tuning I'm sure.

The FZ1 looks nice Duke. Since you have done all the research I might follow your lead.

I can't imagine being bike less for long.

G

·
yep, FZ-1's are nice looking bikes, I generally like the naked version, but of course that half faired version is more usable in everyday usage.

looking at that picture the first thing that came to my mind was:"that bike could use tail raise mod!" tank is so pointy, that it begs the tail to be higher.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I rode a friends 06 for the first time last weekend. It's heavier than my bike, but it sure doesn't feel like it, mass centralization is great. Not a huge fan of the upright, wide bars, and it will lock up the front wheel and slide before standing on it's head (which I think is a bad thing in a bike) but man is it a sweet bike otherwise.

been so long since I've been on an I-4 I'm just not used to revving up that high. Only went for a few miles, never got out of second gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts