TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a lot and in the last 5 years had tallied over 300,000 miles between two vehicles. Both were worn out and it was time for a change so I traded them both for a vehicle that will do it all, an 06, 2500, Cummins Diesel, Mega Cab 4X4.

My primary commuter was an extended cab 1/2 ton Chevy that performed great but was lacking in the room dept. Once I stuffed all my tools and luggage in the cab it was full and often I had company so we ended up putting half our personal belonging in the back of the truck. More than once I have showed up at a hotel room in some far away destination with a wet suitcase. (I actually had to carry trash bags in my truck for such occasions.) Hence the Mega Cab, it looks like it will be a God send with the versatility of the folding seats and gobs of storage space.

I primarily travel for work having made several back and fourth runs to Chicago(19hrs), St.Louis(14hrs), Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and ALL over Texas. The diesel appeared to be the way to go due to all I've heard about longevity and durability of the engines –vs- gas engines. Plus, again, the extra room will be nice.

I tow an over wide 18' heavy duty flat bed trailer for work along with job boxes, tools and materials. I know an 18' trailer isn't much for the Cummins but once it is loaded with steel, it was killing my 1/2 ton truck. I also tow a 23' travel trailer on occasion and a 20’ Mastercraft so the 3/4 ton will be a nice touch.

The 4x4 part was simply lust. I couldn't see spending the kind of money that these trucks cost without throwing in a bit more and getting the 4wd. If I can get @ 20mpg in this truck I will be ecstatic. I was only getting 19 in my V8 2wd 1/2 ton, so if I can get the same mileage with twice the truck I'll be a happy camper. Besides, the 4x4 is a nice feature to have when backing the boat down a steep ramp on a low lake.

At the moment I don't plan on doing anything to the truck as far as mods go except put some nerf bars on it so that my wife can get in and out without hurting herself….I only have a couple hundred miles on her so far and the truck drives really well going down the highway. So far so good. I’m averaging 16mpg and the diesel is supposed to get better mileage once the motor breaks in. I’ve read reports of up to 22mpg on others that have the same truck. That’s not to bad considering what it is….

I got a screaming deal on this truck and couldn't say no.

Now it's time to whore some pics....:devious

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Now that's what I call a "truck". Very nice.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I love it:hail You can't beat the diesel for a truck powerplant either:thumbup

Whenver I have to get a new truck, that's on the short list. Right now I've an older F-250 turbo diesel.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Poor truck. It has no idea the hellish torture it's going to endure. The incredibly heavy load it'll be asked to haul, the strain on the motor and suspension...all for your personal pleasure. One day, soon, you'll ask it to haul...a Tiller!

:)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Jeez! I lookit all that rear seat legroom! :thumbup

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
i have a 4 door truck also and i love it!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
You need a special license for that? :dowhat

What an enormous thing is that man.. sure enough space inside!

Over here they'd think your crazy driving a diesel which only does 20mpg! :)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
more like 30mpg on the highway.

just curious, if you drive so much, why not get a smaller 40 mpg car? you'll save hundreds just on gas

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
cool truck :thumbup I drove one of thoose this summer and damn they are huge it belongs the the owner of the company that my misses work for and it have the big hemi engine and it realy moves :hail

·
14,150 Posts
03duc buster said:
because it might be hard to tow an 18' trailer loaded down with steel with a 40mpg car

just a guess though
:stupid

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I didn't know what he did for a living, that's why i asked. good reason :thumbup

·
14,150 Posts
I still don't know what he does for a living, but he did mention the trailer in the post. :)

What exactly do you do for a living, ownerofdougsoldbike?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Misfire said:
I tow an over wide 18' heavy duty flat bed trailer for work along with job boxes, tools and materials. I know an 18' trailer isn't much for the Cummins but once it is loaded with steel, it was killing my 1/2 ton truck. I also tow a 23' travel trailer on occasion and a 20’ Mastercraft so the 3/4 ton will be a nice touch.
:doh:banghead

I'm an idiot

The end

·
14,150 Posts
I was wondering how you missed that! :lol

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Loki-TLR said:
You need a special license for that? :dowhat

What an enormous thing is that man.. sure enough space inside!

Over here they'd think your crazy driving a diesel which only does 20mpg! :)
No special license and 20mpg is really good for something that's ~7k lbs and can tow ~15k lbs I think (note, its US mpg which uses smaller gallons than ya'll do), but it will still be expensive to keep it full of fuel. Its usually $75-80 to fill my F-250:banghead

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
a friend of a friend of a friend of mine has a Duramax and he averages about 30mpg on the highway, and his is modded pretty good, so not bad :thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
he lies imho

1 - 20 of 37 Posts