TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my + mod soldered up and ready to fit into the bike. The lengths I've given are with the relay attached to the airbox tower with velcro. It might pay to double check wire length depending where you decide to mount the relay.

Next stage will be mounting it into bike; stay tuned:) (to read text, click thumbnail, then click on larger pic, then maximise new window)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't remember the make - just a standard 4 - pin relay that came with a built in 30 amp fuse, which I swapped for a 10amp fuse, since the wire I am using is 10amp. All the fittings are crimped, then soldered with a small gas torch, and then shrink sealed. The wires are joined to the relay with ordinary female crimp spade connections. I always strip the plastic off the crimp fittings, then solder and shrink seal them, cos I don't trust crimping alone:O.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Very nice. I like the all in one relay thing too. That would have cleaned things up nicely on my Tiller when I had it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That looks awesome:devious, I may have to "borrow" your design as I am looking to do the +mod to my TLR shortly. It is the only mod I have left besides the airbox mod and I'm not sure if I want to do that one, still researching. :pirate5

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
That looks awesome:devious, I may have to "borrow" your design as I am looking to do the +mod to my TLR shortly. It is the only mod I have left besides the airbox mod and I'm not sure if I want to do that one, still researching. :pirate5
Do it. It's easy!

G

·
Nice layout, good idea to use relay with ready fuse, makes it simpler and cleaner setup.

it just came to me, that this mod must be 6 to 7 years old. and it's still a great mod, cheap, simple and it works.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Very slick. This is still on my list of to do's (whenever I can manage to stop riding long enough to actually do it :)), and your measurements will be helpful.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. It's not my design, I just copied it from here (Cheers JarkkoT). I just thought I'd post the photo's because I find it easier to follow pics. than diagrams; and thought others here might be the same. Just double check the measurements, especially with relation to the TLR.

Some people have mounted the relay on the outside of the frame, behind the fairing, close to the left coil. I put mine on the back of the airbox to keep the fuse mounted relay right out of the weather - I ride in the rain a lot:). I can't foresee any issues with this locstion - but individuals will have to make up their own minds. I will post more photo's this weekend, of it in-situ. I am away for the next few days with work, which is why it won't be sooner. Cheers, J.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I put mine on the back of the airbox to keep the fuse mounted relay right out of the weather - I ride in the rain a lot:).
Everyone rides all weather Jimmy unless they are bunnies. :lol

I used that frame location because the air tube and fairing protected it and the fuse was easy to replace. ( if need be).

Thanks again to Jarkko for a great mod. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol - I usually ride mine rubbersibe down in the mud and rain:O - did it make a good mudslide toboggan?

I have a real aversion to removing and replacing my fairings - last year I rode for six weeks with my track fairings, with no indicater or mirrors:dowhat. Also I decided on that location before you corrected Kevin:)

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Well I'm a bunny then ... and I keep getting corrected so I must be a dumb bunny :laugh I could always throw my toys out of the pram and stomp off into the sunset like Ivan, I guess :lol

Tidy looking kit there, Jimbo - you could knock up a few and flog 'em off ... I think doing my mods, the most time was spent deciding how long to make things - I'd have paid not to have to do that :laugh

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from the shed, after installing my plus mod relay. It is pretty straight forward - just a PITA having to whip off the left side fairing and remove the airbox; and you need pretty bloody skinny hands to get into those coils. My meat slabs couldn't get close, so it was two pair of long nosed pliers:laugh. My wire lengths were pretty spot on:banana, and the job took about an hour.

I haven't ridden it yet, but **** me, starting seemed even better:O; I thought it was perfect already:laugh. The bike has been sitting for 6 days without being started, and it's farken cold. She started on the FIRST crank, and ran happily without having to rev it, or use the fast idle:dowhat. Must be that extra strong spark.... I r happeee....

I didn't take photo's as the cook went back to work, after cooking tea;), and took the camera with her.

Lifting the airbox showed me there are a few things I need to get onto - it hasn't been opened since I did the airbox mod a year ago - the filter was pretty chocka, and had SAND all around where it seals to the airbox, and creeping underneath the seal:dowhat. I can only put it down to following trucks in the pissing down rain; so I've cleaned it all out, and will order TWO tomorrow. I also noticed that the foam seal on the link pipe had dropped, wasn't sealing, and was partially blocking the intake hole:banghead. There has to be a better way of doing this:O.

So, next job is to take airbox out again, when I do the fuel filter mod, and have more time. I'll try and set up the bridge pipe better, change the filter, and tidy up a bit of wiring. I also need to remove and lube suspension links and bearings, and do a full clean and lube, cos I've been putting it off for ages....

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just built mine with an inline 10 amp fuse attached to pin 30 instead of having it with a built in fuse as they want $15 for that type of relay and I can get the non fused type for around $6-7. I will get specific lengths this weekend and post up later. I will try to post some pics tonight. I wanted to thank you in advance for the pics and spec info! time for teardown and install!

·
Registered
326 Posts
This Mod is the SHIT! my TLR starts so smooth now! Thank you so much:pirate5

I can make these really easy if someone is interested. $25.00 shipped in the US. let me know if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Looks good Jimmy !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts