TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I’d share a few of my latest projects with Ya’ll…

A few months ago we spent an afternoon at Tye’s ranch shooting a brick of .22 ammo from his Ruger 10/22. I had so much fun shooting that cheap little gun that I decided I wanted on for myself. I’ve never owned a 10/22 before so once I started looking at them the bug bit HARD. I spent a several weeks researching what could be done to them and looking at all the cool “mods.”

Here is what I started out with.

That poor little rifle never fired a single round in stock configuration. Here is what I ended up with after all the modding was done.

Here is the Mod List
16.5 Volquartsen THM tension CF Barrel
Predator Mantis Stock
Power Custom Sear
Power Custom Hammer
Power Custom Springs and Shims
Volquartsen base
Leupold VXIII 2.5X8
Leupold PRW rings
Bolt Buffer
Bedded Pillar
Akra Glass Bedding
Free Floated Barrel

My buddy liked mine so much he asked me to build him one too.
I did some cutting and grinding on his stock to get it to fit him properly then went about doing all the same mods on his rifle.

His mod list is..
Reduced LOP
18" ER Shaw spiral flute barrel
PC sear, hammer, shims, springs
Predator Mantis
Pillar, receiver and 2" forward of BP bedding
Leupold VXII 3x9
Warne Maxima Rings

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Once the gun projects were done I got a weird bug and decided I wanted to make a knife. So.. once again I started doing the research, picked out my materials and jumped in with both feet.

Here are my first knives. They are a two knife skinning set that I gave to an outfitter buddy of mine. The knives are D2 tool steel, heat and cryogenically treated, zebrawood handles, hand turned zebrawood pins, mirror polish. I have 30+ hours in this set.

Template

Ground out

Heat and cryo treated

Finished

This knife is going to my Dad as a Christmas gift. It is D2 tool steel, heat and cryogenically treated, cocobolo handles, hand turned cocobolo pins, mirror polish. I have 20+ hours in this knife.
Knife 3

This knife is currently accompanying Tye on a one-in-a-lifetime hunt in Nevada. It is also D2 with cocobolo handles and pins. This one also has 20+ hours in it.

Knife 4

I'm having a lot of fun making the knives. There are several more in the works with different materials and such. I'll post pics as I finish them.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I love what you did with the 10/22:hail

A 10/22 was my first gun and still one of my favorites. Mine's still bone stock, perhaps I should send it to you for safe keeping:laugh

Other than looking super pretty, how does the modded gun compare to the stocker when shooting? I've never even fired a modded out 10/22:drool

·
Registered
623 Posts
Holly CRAP!

It seems so easy for you guys to buy guns and get them modded, in SA you have to get a Compentency certificate and then only can you apply for licence and then can take any thing from 6 - 9 months to get that approved.

Love the .22 though! Great work on the knives as well!

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Nice :thumbup The 10/22 was the first gun I ever shot, I think I was 6 year old in cub scouts. I looks absolutely beautiful. :hail

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
What exactly is left from the original rifle :laugh

Great work on the knifes aswell :hail

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
:hail

WoW, I would not have a clue

nice

Can you fix my dad's guns?

One is a 12guage rife. It does not need anything except maybe alignment and cleaning.

The other is a 22 riffle my dad received for Christmas on December 25, 1948 (dad got it when he was a young 15) That needs a trigger spring pin I think. Also may need alignment etc.

Want to get it fixed / restored in honor of dad.

I don't know the history of it other than that date on it.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
I have so many .22s around here, rifle and pistol, I've lost count. You just can't beat them for plain, good, old-fashioned fun. :devious

The knives look good. :thumbup I've often thought about giving knife making a try and it have been bugging me a good bit lately, I just may have to follow your lead on this one. Where are you getting your supplies?

WoW, I would not have a clue

nice

One is a 12guage rife. It does not need anything except maybe alignment and cleaning.

The other is a 22riffle very old (dad got it when he was a young boy) That needs a trigger mechanism and spring pin etc. Also may need alignment etc.
Alignment? :confused Shipping the guns would be too much of a headache, Del. Go to a few local gun shops and ask around for a reputable gunsmith in your area. Most tend to be pretty decent folk and can tell you what you have, what it's worth and get them working for you. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I know nothing about guns.

I knew a guy but he never got back with me so I gave up on him.

Well there are none that I can find in the state of Virginia according to a local Gun Smithing shop.

Dad's .22 is a Stevens Model 15 barrel and I think the trigger mechanism or firing pin is messed up.

All they do is custom stocks, guns

No repairs.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I bought a DR from a knife maker - he was super serious about it, did his own forgings etc. Seemed to involve hundreds of hours of labor per knife, lots of hammering etc. Sounded quite impressive, sorta like sword-makers of legend.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
damn you got some mad skills :hail

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
I know nothing about guns.

I knew a guy but he never got back with me so I gave up on him.

Well there are none that I can find in the state of Virginia according to a local Gun Smithing shop.

Dad's .22 is a Stevens Model 15 barrel and I think the trigger mechanism or firing pin is messed up.

All they do is custom stocks, guns

No repairs.
Use Google or the online Yellow Pages and, like I said, ask at local Gun Shops. If they sell them, they know where to get them fixed. Gunsmiths are not too hard to find.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts

If you can't find a gunsmith in a proper gun store, look in yellow pages under pawnshops. Find one that specializes in guns. They usually have a gunsmith in house or someone who works on a contract basis.

Also try looking up shooing clubs in your area, especially blackpowder clubs as those guys tend to make alot of items custom.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The .22 looks fantastic!

I always buy a knife per deployment. If you have an extra one laying around, I have another visit to Iraq coming up. Wouldn't mind purchasing one from ya! Of course, the deer jerky will still be free! lol.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Nice Knives :hail

Found a shop today. I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the compliments everyone! I’m sorry for the delayed response.

Other than looking super pretty, how does the modded gun compare to the stocker when shooting? I've never even fired a modded out 10/22:drool
Here is a 25 yard 5rnd group shooting cheap federal bulk. 50 yard groups were in the .5” range.

I've often thought about giving knife making a try and it have been bugging me a good bit lately, I just may have to follow your lead on this one. Where are you getting your supplies?
I would suggest a couple of “blanks” to start off with. They will already be ground, sharpened and ready to go. All you have to do is put the handles on and dress them up. That’s how I started. Now I’m doing VERY basic grinding. Maybe one day I’ll be forging my blades from scratch but that will be way down the road.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?TKS_BladesSS9.htm~smain
http://www.jantzsupply.com/index.html
http://www.galleryhardwoods.com/
http://www.knifenetwork.com

I always buy a knife per deployment. If you have an extra one laying around, I have another visit to Iraq coming up. Wouldn't mind purchasing one from ya!
Thanks for the offer Russ; it’s flattering but I couldn’t sell these. I simply have too much money in materials and it takes me too long to make any money at selling them. If I were better equipped to make them faster then maybe it would be worth it. Right now I just enjoy playing with them.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Del, before you let anyone touch your guns you need to make sure there isn't any collector value to them. A lot of times if you "restore" the finish of a gun it will destroy any or a lot of the collector value. Just cleaning up internal workings and such shouldn't hurt the value too much but with parts you can retain the origional pieces and put them back if the need ever arised. If you "restore" the metal or wood finish that is another story.

I know those guns have a lot of sentimental value and you would probably never part with them but it may be something to consider.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts