TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000tls blue,One owner looks mint.5 k miles sat for 18 years in storage.I was able to clean the tank and replace pump and filter,new tires.Rebuilt the brake system and new braided hoses.Took it for a shake down ride yesterday,about 40 miles.All back roads,was about to pull on highway and open it up,decided to pull over and look it over first.Glad that i did,clutch cover was leaking oil like crazy,oil all over half the rear tire.Rode it back home gingerly without incident.The rear suspension is creaking bad,feels like the swingarm bearings are dry and rusty,creaks real bad.Swing arm is going to have to come off before any more rides.I will have to check the crankcase breather to see if insects corked it up with dirt,i did see a few places on left fairing where insects had filled the screw pockets over the turn signal mount with mud.Ran the bike up and down the street didnt leak a drop of oil prior to the longer ride.There is also evidence its been down on the left side,the big fairing screw mount on left side of radiator is pushed in and the radiator is bent down along the bottom edge on the left side.The threaded hole no longer aligns with the fairing hole,thats why there was no screw on that side.No other signs of road rash anywhere else on the bike,fairings and tank are gorgeous.No marks anywhere on the pegs.Previous original owner probably fixed them all after his crash,probably why he let the bike sit so long.I will keep the original suspension for now,atleast until im able to ride it a bit.The r1 shock conversion is cheap enough but the bitubo seems like a better set up,just too expensive right now. Its seems like a great bike,the engine is terrific,great power and sound thru the carbon yoshis.The steering certainly is twitchy for want of a better word.I was jiggling the front end a bit while riding and i can see how it could easily be a tank slapper for sure,for what ever reason.I have several other bikes and none of them have that feel in the front end.I have no intention of riding the bike hard,just an over 60 collector trying to enjoy a few of the bikes i could not while raising a family years ago when the bikes were new.Looks like i will need a new radiator if im going to ever mount the fairing properly.This bike is chewing into my wallet pretty hard.

Attachments

Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
Overall, it sounds like you have had good results with your TLS so far.

2000tls blue,.....,clutch cover was leaking oil like crazy,oil all over half the rear tire.......
A clutch cover leak was common on the '97 TLS, but the later years shouldn't have that problem. Still, would be prudent to check the flatness of the sealing surface of the cover. It is plastic, and may have been over tightened, or torqued improperly, causing a warp. Verify that each mounting hole has the metal collar and that the o-ring seal is in good shape.

The steering certainly is twitchy for want of a better word.I was jiggling the front end a bit while riding and i can see how it could easily be a tank slapper for sure,for what ever reason......
Does your TLS not have the OEM steering damper installed?
I run my '98 TLS without the damper, and I've only had it twitch on me once. My riding is very conservative, so it really hasn't been an issue, and it is so much more pleasant to deal with at slow speeds.
Be sure that your drive chain has plenty of slack, and replace the rotary damper ASAP (IMO). A tight chain and stiff damper action can both contribute to the twitchy steering.
Also, how are the forks set in the triple clamps?

This bike is chewing into my wallet pretty hard.
That's what TL's do. 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The steering damper is installed,the chain is slack.The forks are set stock height.I will remove the rotary damper and spring this weekend.Thanks

Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
Just FYI....
On the rear of my TLS, I have the Ohlins damper and an upgraded Hyper-Pro spring on the SOAS.

The front has 2004 GSXR 600 forks (with springs that are too soft 馃檮).

Still, while I'm due for new fork springs, overall the bike is well behaved. 馃憤

Registered
Hi there! welcome into the TLS family.
you got nice TLS!! congrats...and yeah they all eat $$, never had a motorcycle who doesnt cost me anything馃榿
anyway are you sure that she is 2000 year? im not 100% positive but only 2001 were blue.
also the sqeeking could be your SOAS, they like to make that sort of noise you described.
rear rotary is not something i would put my money on...you could do that R1 damper...proly the cheapest route...than also bitubo.
personally im not big fan any of those, i went with hyperco rear shock on one of my S and on the project bike i plan to use 1098 duck rear shock but that requires some more messing with it to make it work, so there are options and this is great spot to find all these informations.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The squeaking sound was coming from the two damper mounting bolts. I removed the left side compression side link and pried the lever through its full range of motion several times, very very stiff. I reset the adjustment screws to the recommended setting for soft. The bike sat for 18 years prior. The compression side lever got easier to move after working it back and forth several times. No squeaking sounds at all with the compression lever unbolted, swing arm and pogo nice and free, I will remove damper bolts one at a time and clean them up before retorque to spec. I think the manual calls for locktite and 36ft. Lbs.Very glad not having to remove swingarm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts