TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need 4 10mm high tensile bolts 1mm pitch (fine) * 70mm long, where do you think I could get some and know that the are man enough to hold on my new radial calipers :devious

I found this place
http://www.namrick.co.uk/browse.asp?PCID=9
It says tensile on the tin but I don't want to risk it.
I can't get a standard replacement as I am using 10mm spacers so the bolt needs to be longer.

Also do you use any threadlock when putting in caliper fastners?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Wow :rolleyes

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
look in yer yellow pages under "industrial fasteners" they are basically bolt stockists, you should be able to go along to their trade counter to get what you want, we've got about 4 of em in bedford so i'm sure you'll find one near to you

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:spit

Seriously, I don't think the stock bolts are anything special. I personally would be comfortable with the longer ones you found. Some folks use locktight, others use antiseize - there was a big debate over it a couple weeks ago. Pretty evenly split or so it seemed.

have fun

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
you can get stainless bolts here.

although not HT, they only use 70-80 grade not cheaper 60 grade.
also if you think about it, they are being threaded into soft cast aluminium. which do you think is going to fail first:O

pity they don't do the nice scooped head bolts longer than 50mm

another thing, are you sure you want M10 with a 1mm pitch? M10 fine is 1.25mm pitch

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Johnny,
I wouldn't go with those bolts, the number on the head gives it away. 8.8 is slightly better than fudge, but not as good as toffee! On the race cars I build at work, we use 8.8 bolts for stuff that is designed to fail in an accident, for something like brakes I would want a 10.9 as a minimum. I'll check at work tomorrow, I think there may be some 10.9 caphead 10X70, though I can't remember if they are 1mm or 1.25mm pitch off the top of my head.
Dan

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
As far as the threadlock issue goes, if the bolt has any plain-shank at all then I put anti-seize on that then Loctite on the threads. don't forget you can get dif' "types" e.g viscosity for certain applications and even thread pitch.

not trying to teach peeps to suck eggs :no

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Right J/B whats up!:O over 12 hrs since the first post and no pics.....slacker! It wont happen on my shift...:)

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shoozpup

I will take you up on your offer if you can find some mate :thumbup
Phil you are a genius I have measured and found them to be a 1.25 pitch, the dummy in Crewe engineering told me 1mm :rant

Andy Pics will be posted when I get her all up together :nana (at least I have started mine)

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
waiting on those pics with detail instructions, sources, etc. I can fellow your lead.

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brittls said:
dont spoil the ship for a hapeth of tar johnny :laugh

http://www.tastynuts.com/site/frames/frameset_shoponline.htm

:bling :bling

Don't do them in my size, at the moment I'm stuck with high tensile hex bolts :sad
I can always get some fango ones once I'm back on the road.
I am slightly concerned that Ti would not be strong enough, although billed as strong as steel, not quite to high tensile strength.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
tornado said:
also if you think about it, they are being threaded into soft cast aluminium. which do you think is going to fail first:O
:stupid

a normal non radial bolt works in shear and i would agree with you that you have a need for high strength although you would be amazed how much shear a bolt will take..... but radial brakes put the bolts under tension.. the cast aluminium will give WAY before the bolt will high tensile or not....

up to you though...

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I've got some long bolts for some odd reason...I could have a look when I get home if you ain't sorted it already. Have no f'ing idea if they're HT, but they definitely have a thread, are long and have a funny shape at one end which might be for some sort of hand tool:bounce

Also Posh, while I'm passing by your thread, I posted the cheque for the pipes:thumbup

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thnks folks Im glad I opted for high tensile. it is a phobia of mine calipers letting go at high speed. pics hopefully from tomorrow. internet connection pending

·
Registered
111 Posts
i have got 4 caliper bolts from gsxr1000k3 forks.give me a shout if you want them.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:confused Johnny did you run out of High Tensile Zip Ties :O as they seemed to work well on your exhaust hangers :laugh :laugh :)

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Micky said:
:confused Johnny did you run out of High Tensile Zip Ties :O as they seemed to work well on your exhaust hangers :laugh :laugh :)
:lol :lol :lol posh bodge:thumbup

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:) Ah yes Biker Chris , have you managed to drag your self away from your Feline friend long enough to make a few post's on the Zone :O :laugh :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts