TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but because it was so gradual, I didn't notice till it got real bad; hard starting, backfiring through the TB's, and not sounding 'right':O by then I had just completed the charging and plus mods, so of course blamed them. I put everything back to stock, and it seemed to get a bit better. I rewired them, and it was the same - not 100%:confused Tonight I couldn't start the bitch - It'd crank-catch-die about 6 times, then just crank. I tried some "start ya bastard" in the TB's (it's ether in a spraycan), still no joy. Now the other day I thought i should get some spark-plugs, cos the ones in the bike were over a year - 15 000k's old. Go iridiums:). I picked them (new sparkies) up tonight, but thought it was too much of a coincidence that the day I get them, the old ones die - but I had no other options, so in they went. It started first crank - sounds SWEEEET, and is stronger than it has been for a while. So my charging nd plus mods were perfect:banana.

It just goes to show, you can't ignore those sparkies, and iridiums are an excellant investment:thumbup

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Ahh the joy of good sparkers! Recently I've changed mine as well, had been running the tank empty :banghead Didn't feel as strong anymore in low/mid rev range. Changed them, took her for a spin and :roost :banana

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Change them every year, TL's eat plugs.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Now I'm going to argue that Sam................. haven't changed mine for 2 years :O Never any starting or running problems, fires up straight away even after long periods of neglect!

Standard plugs as per the Bible :)

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
:fishing :nana

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Change them every year, TL's eat plugs.
I know that; I tell other people that; but it still managed to get put to the back of my mind:coocoo and the fact that I'd just done a coupla electrical mods shifted focus for a few hours:). I shall add sparkies and todays date to my list - I have a folder with date and k's for tires, fluids, airfilter and chain/sprockets; and now sparkplugs;)

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Generally it's because they are so hard to get at, most people have a pair sat on the shelf because it's "one of those jobs" to do which in reality doesn't get done until the bike won't start :laugh

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
With the radiator bolts removed and the tank up I could change them fairly quick?

Those that came out had a very light color on the insulator tho. Anyone else payed attention to that?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Generally it's because they are so hard to get at, most people have a pair sat on the shelf because it's "one of those jobs" to do which in reality doesn't get done until the bike won't start

Which is exactly what happened - except mine were on the shelf for all of 30 minutes:lol good timing eh:devious

It took me all of 15 minutes to do, not a hard job, I just didn't think of it as urgent, or even necessary; I just bought them because I thought I mayaswell do it while I check the TB sync.:O

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Seems to me you need a new K&N James.................. :devious

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the radiator bolts removed and the tank up I could change them fairly quick?

Those that came out had a very light color on the insulator tho. Anyone else payed attention to that?
I just undid bottom rad bolt and bottom fairing bolts, loosened top rad bolt and pushed rad forward - tight but do-able.

The plugs I took out looked the same as the new ones - except the bottom 5th was BLACK:laugh

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad that got ya going. I had to pull the iridums out of my bike. It ran like shit till I put the regulars back in it. Maybe I had a bad new plug... who knows. But for now I don't trust the iridiums.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I've got 3 or 4 sets of new plugs in my toolbox but no TL to put them in :dowhat :laugh

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts