TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body here live near ballarat,got offered a beauripaires shop to manage there,what is it like there is it worth moving,is there any good riding placed there,whats the weather like can any body tell me.
thanks marty

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
been there a few times... good roads around the area but it can get bloody cold!

Awesome pubs though!

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Ballarat is a large city. (2nd largest regional city in the State, Geelong is the largest).

It can get real hot in Summer and real cold in Winter, but you could ride all year if you felt like it. There's not a lot of "great riding" roads in the area, but some nice ones.

I'm in Bacchus Marsh which is close to halfway between Melb & Ballarat.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
You can draw a nice equilateral triangle using Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat, but GCC moved to Queensland - that's a fair distance from Geelong :laugh

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Only ever passed thru for fuel and food from Adelaide to Melbourne 2 or 3 times a year, so I can't give a proper vote ... but I found the people friendly and helpful, even to a South Aussie! :laugh

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Keep stopping at Ballarat - don't detour into Bacchus Marsh. There's a reason this was one of the 1st towns bypassed back when by passing was popular.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Keep stopping at Ballarat - don't detour into Bacchus Marsh. There's a reason this was one of the 1st towns bypassed back when by passing was popular.
Is that why you live there Steve?:lol

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I used to live in Werribee. The 1st town bypassed :laugh

http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/rb/releases/2002/june/b54_2002.htm
VICTORIA'S FIRST FREEWAY BRINGS DRIVERS BACK TO THE FUTURE

Forty years after Victoria's first freeway opened to traffic a major length of the original Werribee Bypass has been redeveloped to provide a safer and easier route for travellers from Geelong.
There's a fair bit of history in Ballarat too.
http://www.ballarat.com/eurekastockade.htm
"We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties."

Beneath the starry flag of rebellion, that oath was taken by hundreds of gold diggers at Ballarat in 1854. The Eureka rebellion led by Peter Lalor was a short lived revolt against petty officialdom and although a military failure, led to political and personal benefits for many Australians.

The original Eureka flag, first raised on Bakery Hill and then flown over the Eureka Stockade and torn down by Trooper King during the bloody battle in the early morning of Sunday December 3rd, 1854, is now proudly displayed at the Ballarat Fine Art Gallery.

Australia's only rebellion is a highlight of history and inspiration for poets, novelists, journalists and filmmakers.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Bacchus Marsh, I remember going to that area from Geelong. A friend of a friend was staying in Bacchus Marsh :O. There's a long straight going into Bacchus Marsh you could max you bike out no side streets.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
The road from BM to Geelong is like a mini Nullarbor plain but you can't max anything out now. The cops have radars mounted on their roof and can just get you. They'll be driving toward you and have your speed before you can even recognise the car.

·
Registered
604 Posts
cold!!!!!!!!

oh and cold

oh and i dont like the cold

my sister lives there, and a few of my friends, and everytime i go there it is friggin cold and there isnt much to do, but there are some good riding roads but watch out for the roos....

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Stop going of a night or in winter. Tomorrow loks ok!

Ballarat
Tonight and Friday
Fine. A sunny day with light winds.
Min 6 Max 29
Precis: Fine.

Melbourne
Forecast for Friday
Fine. A sunny day with some smoke haze. Light wind and afternoon sea breezes.

Precis: Fine.
City: Min 11 Max 27

Adelaide (which we're getting Saturday :rant)
Forecast for Friday
Dry and sunny. Very hot with light to moderate northeast to northwest winds and
a light afternoon coastal sea breeze.

Precis Dry. Sunny.
City: Min 18 Max 38

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cold

thats why we want to go there,we are sick of the heat,we have 42 plus and have had no rain for 12 months,my padocks are dirt,dont mind the cold,and better horse shows in vic[mini horses]and closer to phillip island,and better money.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
... and higher rent and property values (than Adelaide) :laugh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts