TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
i recommend going second hand for that price, you'll get a lot more for your money. egay is a good hunting ground but you've got to know what you're looking for. find singletrackworld.com and have a browse through the adverts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
sorry about the singletrack lead, i've just had a look and there's feck all suitable bikes on there just now.
i'd offer you my hardtail but i've got a feeling it's a tad small for you john

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Check out www.mtbr.com as there's a forum but there's also a HUGE review section where folks review everything from bikes to shorts to pedals to anythign mountain bike related.

I myself just got into mountain biking. I got a second hand Specialized Stumpjumper for $450 US off ebay.

*requisite whoring*

Your best bet is to start reading up on components so that when your looking at a bike you know where it falls in the spectrum of things. Look at frame and components separately. You can get a great frame with crappy components and it'll be a crap bike and expensive to replace the components and vice versa.

Good hunting and have fun!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
If you want to get fit just buy a TLR posh....punting the great lump down some tight roads will do wonders......:dowhat

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I bought a Cannondale a few years ago when I was still living in London. Took it out twice and decided that motorbikes were far safer.

Maybe I should get it out again and do some trail riding.

Tornado - what sort of gear will I need to keep warm, but not drip in sweat once I get going? All I have is the bike and a helmet(s).

·
Registered
310 Posts
I want a bike to do some trails and get fit, budget of about £300 what do you recommend
Check out Ridgeback bikes. They're not doing much in terms of high end MTBs now (top model is £300 I think), thought they do high end dual-trackers. Still good quality and value (their road and hybrids are superb).

Theres some top hardware installed on these bikes and if you tried to work out the same spec in component form you wouldnt be able to build a bike for the same price.

Tim

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Tornado - what sort of gear will I need to keep warm, but not drip in sweat once I get going? All I have is the bike and a helmet(s).
good base layers are the key. i wear clima-fit style tee shirts y'know, the ones with the tiny holes in them. if it's dry and not too cold i'll just wear a normal tee shirt over the top.
a good light weight waterproof shell jacket that can breath is a bonus too. check out the berghaus range at chainreactioncyles.com, i've got the base £60 jacket but it's damn good:yes
i've just bought some 3/4 length endura lycra bib tights for winter....they feel a bit gimpish but worn under long baggy shorts they're not noticeable and are warm as ****! they've got a micro fleece liner so all the sweat just wicks away

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Iron Horse, Specialized and Kona are good brands to check out for excelent performance/dollar (or pound I expect) ratio. From the little bit I dabbled with bikes in the UK I found that prices in the US were wayyyy lower, especially on new stuff. Don't know if that's true all over the UK or of Oxford is just way overpriced compared to the states for MTB's.

If its your first MTB I'd recomend starting with a hardtail (no rear suspensio as they are more simple both to ride and maintain. At a novice pace you won't be going fast enough to really need a lot of suspension and riding a hardtail tends to help you develop initially as a smooth rider, pick good lines etc. Also they are easier to peddle:)

Once you start going through big rock gardens at speed, jumping off ledges etc a full suspension bike might be in order.

Its amazing how much MTB's have come down in price in general. I was really involved in MTB's in the late 90's and then $1k would hardly get anything worth riding hard. Nowdays you can get a better bike for half that. My dad last year bought a disc brake equiped Iron Horse hardtail for well under $500 to keep on hand as a loaner bike. I went riding on it last time I visited my parents and was very impressed with the bike, I'd be happy to do most any XC ride on it:thumbup

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
good base layers are the key. i wear clima-fit style tee shirts y'know, the ones with the tiny holes in them. if it's dry and not too cold i'll just wear a normal tee shirt over the top.
a good light weight waterproof shell jacket that can breath is a bonus too. check out the berghaus range at chainreactioncyles.com, i've got the base £60 jacket but it's damn good:yes
i've just bought some 3/4 length endura lycra bib tights for winter....they feel a bit gimpish but worn under long baggy shorts they're not noticeable and are warm as ****! they've got a micro fleece liner so all the sweat just wicks away
Cheers, I'll have a look at these.

·
14,150 Posts
Specialized Hard Rock. Can't see which Hard Rock it is but being that I'm riding the big S myself I can say that they are pretty good bikes. I see it doesn't have the disk brakes....not necessary really. Well, unless you live and ride somewhere that has crappy weather and is wet all the time. :rotfl

Just kidding, that should be a good bike to start off with.

·
14,150 Posts
Meoooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww
Ahh, pussy's and fair weather riders won't need the disk brakes then! :lol

I'm one myself...don't like cleaning up the bicycle, but I'll ride the dirt bike in the rain as I have to clean it regardless.

btw, got a year and model info?

·
14,150 Posts
Crap, didn't see the clicky.

Have you checked to see that you fit a 21 inch frame? You really need to have a bike that fits you right. Might be too late now. That's the Hardrock Comp, pretty good bike. It's got the Judy fork which is adequate for noobs like us but more advanced riders will trash talk it.

Good luck.

·
14,150 Posts
Buy gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts