TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
We'll see if Indy would be willing to get the facility up to FIM standards for runoff like they had to do with Laguna. If that happens, it will be great news to have a second event in the US.
Ken

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That's great news, but too bad there are much better tracks available in the US than Indy. I can think of 2 right away that literally blow that track away. Road America & Miller M/S Park would be much better choices IMHO.

:banghead

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Barber too, None of which meet FIM standards for MotoGP, but these may be less costly to convert in order to have the necessary runoff in the corners and end of straights.
Ken

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Exciting, but the guys at Indy have a great marketing team and a knack for letting details slip through the cracks....I'll be very surprised and eat my words if Indy can get up to FIM standards to make it happen.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Compared to the actual creation of the F1 circuit, this should be easy. IMS is very committed to being a world class facility adding another international racing series would be just another notch in it's belt. It's been great to see them branching out over the last 15 year or so. Before the Brickyard began, the track was only used in the month May for the 500. It was only 1 year after the first NASCAR test at the track to the first Brickyard 400 in 1993. Hopefully this can be arranged as well.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I posted this a few months back... round the time of Seca. Made the local news a few times over that the Indy boys were scouting MotoGP

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would have like to see Road America. Personally I wouldn't ride Indy unless they make the changes. 200 mph and concrete barriers usually end up with a bad situation.

(Of course, I'll watch it and all)

C

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
IMHO The US shouldn't have two events until they actually bother running the 250's and 125's. It's a crock of shit that the other GP classes miss out at Laguna, especially as they mention dropping China for poor performance, at least all 3 classes ran there.

And for the 3rd year in succession:

Provisional 2007 MotoGP calendar

March 17** Qatar Doha/Losail
March 25 Spain Jerez de la Frontera
April 22 China Shanghai
May 6 Turkey Istanbul
May 20 France Le Mans
June 3 Italy Mugello
June 10 Catalunya Catalunya
June 24 Great Britain Donington Park
June 30 ** Netherlands Assen
July 15 Germany Sachsenring
July 22 United States * Laguna Seca
August 19 Czech Republic Brno
September 2 San Marino & Riviera di Rimini Misano
September 23 Japan Motegi
October 7 Australia Phillip Island
October 14 Malaysia Sepang
October 28 Portugal Estoril
November 4 Valencia Ricardo Tormo – Valencia

* Only MotoGP class
** Saturday race

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Compared to the actual creation of the F1 circuit, this should be easy. IMS is very committed to being a world class facility adding another international racing series would be just another notch in it's belt. It's been great to see them branching out over the last 15 year or so. Before the Brickyard began, the track was only used in the month May for the 500. It was only 1 year after the first NASCAR test at the track to the first Brickyard 400 in 1993. Hopefully this can be arranged as well.
Homologating a track that is primarily a car track to FIM "car racing" standards is one thing. Getting it up to FIM specs for motorcycles is a much different situation. From my understanding no motorcycles run out there at all (no track days, club races, etc). Car guys don't understand the nuances involved with motorcycles & race tracks. Given all the different race tracks I go to every year for work when you meet car guys that run or manage facilities they just don't get it. We even ran into those issues dealing with mostly car guys running things at Miller M/S Park this past June. They were friendly & willing to listen but there was a disconnect when it came down to some very blatent safety issues when running motorcycles out there. We were just shaking our heads in disbelief but car racing people don't mind stuff that makes us motorcycle guys' hair stand on end. Given the people running the show at the Indy track's lack of familiarity with 2 wheeled motorsports I highly doubt they will pull it off.

What amazes me is they want the MotoGP guys there before they even try a shake down event with the AMA or WERA folks first! And that's precisely why I think they won't be able to pull it off. Looks like your typical, arrogent, big money car guys thinking they "know it all" & just want to reel in the biggest fish as they just got it all down. They are obviously full of themselves & will get some very rude surprises as doing motorcycle racing is extraordinarily different than doing car stuff & the MotoGP level of racing needs way more than these guys have knowledge to do. That's my opinion. Sorry, unless you run bikes out there for more than just one test / evaluation session the car guys will not know how to get that place set up properly even with tons of FIM input.

IMHO Barber M/S is a great track but is much too tight & slow for the MotoGP guys.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I agree there are WAY better tracks out there. I hadn't thought much about Laguna not running the 2t classes there.:coocoo That would be a great track for those smaller bikes. Maybe even some better racing than the big bikes with more opportunity for passing.:devious

Miller would get my vote for a second GP course, if they included all classes.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
That's great news, but too bad there are much better tracks available in the US than Indy. I can think of 2 right away that literally blow that track away. Road America & Miller M/S Park would be much better choices IMHO.

:banghead
road america would be awsome i have allways heard the rumors about how they could easily do it and from the looks of things last year they are makeing soem big changes up there too.....i heard some news also about how they are changing the bridge where you enter the padock area to a tunel too i know in the past they have had moisture problems there......

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
i have heard rumors that RA was in the process of starting to make the changes already, they added something like xx,xxx more parking spaces so who knows, wouldnt mind a MOTO GP race some 40 mins from my house :):):)

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
Miller Motorsports Park :hail

So why do you think they do not run the 2 support classes at Laguna Steve?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
ofcourse, I move away from Indiana..... now an excuse to go back and visit I suppose!!!!

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Would love to see GP somewhere closer to the Central or Eastern US, too damn far to go to LS to watch a race. They can keep the 125 and 250 crap race too, I dont even watch those on TV on a bad day much less a good day.That little whine they make puts my ass to sleep.

Will have to patten the 250gp sleep machine for men. Let the women have the stormy nights and waterfall crap.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
When they held the GP roadraces out at Laguna Seca in the early 90's they did have the 250cc's out there running. But in typical American fashion most spectators laughed at the 250's & walked away bored because they weren't the biggest & badest. Sad stuff. Beligerant, arrogent & extremely ignorant fans squashed that treat for the rest of us.

That's kind of how the AMA's 250cc GP class was treated by spectators attending AMA races before they dropped the class. I always loved watching them race but the people I hung out with would just pack up & leave to head back to the pits, the campsite or to hit the concession stands during the 250 races. They tried grabbing me to pull them along but I just sat my ass right down & told them to just go. There would be a few of us left watching them with about 90% of the spectators either leaving the track entirely or heading elsewhere. I am pretty sure this is a question of money involved to drag all that equipment out here which makes no sense if the vast majority of fans out here will thumb their noses at those bikes. The arrogent, "we know it all & we just want the biggest & badest" attitude of Americans has it's serious drawbacks at times. Sorry, I think it will take a major sponsor to step forward (why would they do that?) or a miracle to get the 250's back out here given the amount of disrespect they have been given in this country over the past 20 years.

Don't hold your breath, but by all means complain like all hell especially if you are planning to or already have bought tickets for the races...

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Miller Motorsports Park :hail

So why do you think they do not run the 2 support classes at Laguna Steve?
I can't ever remember reading an official reason why, but I imagine it's something along the lines of what streak said. Too many [Americans?] believe the classes are crap when the rest of the world that follows the world championship thinks it's some of the best racing that exists. :dunno

Would love to see GP somewhere closer to the Central or Eastern US, too damn far to go to LS to watch a race. They can keep the 125 and 250 crap race too, I dont even watch those on TV on a bad day much less a good day.That little whine they make puts my ass to sleep.

Will have to patten the 250gp sleep machine for men. Let the women have the stormy nights and waterfall crap.
Maybe it's because you've got no one to follow in the class? Maybe you've watched a couple of dud races? Calling it crap though :confused You can't be a bike racing fan :dunno

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The area leading up to & under the Billy Mitchell bridge was always a bit problematic for everyone in motorcycle roadracing at Road America. The biggest problem & the most expensive one to fix hasn't been addressed yet. That is the Canada Corner section. There is literally no runoff there & it is a section of track that is downhill, after a longish straight that is a tight right hander. The spectator area is terrific (except for the insects) but to get that place homologated to FIM specs those terraced grandstands will have to go. Bikes need runoff area especially when you are talking about a really tight right hander after a longer straight but to do so would mean a radical change to the spectator area of the track. Given the turn's natural amplitheater landscaping it will involve moving more than several hundred tons of dirt & possibly wiping out the spectator viewing altogether in that portion of the track.

Will the track owners have the where-with-all to realize that cars & bikes will be going ever faster in the future & that turn (along with one other) will have to be altered in order to have them run there safely? Hmmmm. How progressive are those guys? Most of the rest of the track is just begging for MotoGP bikes, but will they finally make the changes needed to really run safely out there? It's way easier to just cash checks from the customers that already run out there without investing in making expensive changes to make the place safer & up to world championship standards without being guaranteed you will get that investment back. Look at Loudon, NH & you will see it can go either way.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
I can't ever remember reading an official reason why, but I imagine it's something along the lines of what streak said. Too many [Americans?] believe the classes are crap when the rest of the world that follows the world championship thinks it's some of the best racing that exists. :dunno

Maybe it's because you've got no one to follow in the class? Maybe you've watched a couple of dud races? Calling it crap though :confused You can't be a bike racing fan :dunno
Sure I can, But the only 2 series I care to follow are WSB and GP. I dont even care for AMA all that much. There are other things id rather be doing (riding that day) than to sit and wait for the races to be televised. I DL the 2 I care to watch saturday night. The little bikes do put me to sleep though! Id just perfer to be riding than watching!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts