TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking more and more about picking up a motard over here, will either be a DRZ-SM, a 98ish KTM LC4 (either 400 or 620 depending what comes up at the right price) or a 99-2000ish WR400. The DRZ being newer obvious is more expensive than the others, the older KTM's and WR's are less than half the price generally.

So to you guys who own them, what are the maintenance schedules for these things? How often do you have to change oil, filters, check valve clearances etc? If you can state for either DRZ, the older KTM LC4 or WR400. I want something that I can run into work on occasionally, do the odd track day on (maybe 1 a month tops) and not have to get the valves checked once a month or change oil every second weekend.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The DR-Z is the low maintenance schedule, basically like a TL. Check stuff at 600, then 15000 for valves, 3000 mile oil changes, DR-Z's generally don't break even if abused. My KTM however I have done lots of maintenance on and it is only 6 mos. old. Of course it is a full race machine and as such it is pretty sensitive to slight changes in stuff, so it takes some serious upkeep.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, those race model KTM's are awesome but I need something on the road with reasonably light maintenance, the DRZ sounds good from what you say. I have been told oil at 500km and valves at 1000km for the WR400 which seems pretty full on.

The older KTM LC4 engined bikes seem to have a good reputation for being reliable and lower maintenance a lot like the DRZ but I wanted to see if anyone owned them what there experiences were.

Still got a TLR in pieces in the shed back home at the moment but a motard would be heaps more suitable here in Singapore where the highest speed limit is 90km/h :) But I don't have my own garage here so doing heaps of maintenance doesn't really suit me at the moment.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
DR-Z would be perfect for what you require then. Maybe a new SM?:devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The LC4's are about like a DR-Z or SM610 (my fav street tard btw) in terms of maintance. They are totally different from the KTM RFS motors like in doug's bike - very big, heavy and un-stressed for the most part by comparison.

Oh, oil changes on the LC4's are a pita.

The WR400/426/450 will require more maintence than any of the above bikes as its designed to be a race bike. That said, its the lowest maintence of the jap four stroke race bikes, but still more than the two big thumpers probably more than the DR-Z. Of course its a lot more powerfull and lighter than a DRZ too.....

The husqvarna 450 and 510 are a sort of middle ground between the serious race motors and the big long distance motors - they make the power of the race motors but weigh a tad more and require a lot less maintence. They are still pretty new and I don't have a huge amount of information on the maintence, but Husqvarna AU is offering a two year warrenty on them (and they have been street legal from the start there).

have fun

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
:lol I'd love to see a KTM SM for half the price of a DRZSM

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The market half way around the world may be just a tad different than denver Mr. Tucker:)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeh the market here is a bit different but I am also comparing older KTMs (eg pre 200o) models to fairly new DRZ-SM so that accounts for some of the price difference as well. If buying both new the DRZ-SM and KTM's are similar priced here from what I have seen.

Husqvarna's are an option that I will steer clear of just due to the difficulty of finding one here and then trying to find parts for it if I ever need them. I don't have a garage here to do a lot of work myself so I need something fairly common and well supported which leaves me with a choice of basically a KTM or Suzuki as they are the most common brands here.

Might keep an eye out for a slightly older KTM LC4 engined beast then as I don't think I can stretch the budget to a new DRZ at the moment! You'll certainly see more posts here from me once I find something :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Good luck:thumbup

The XR650R is a great supermoto platform too. We don't get it in a street legal version in the US but I think most of the rest of the world does.

have fun

G

·
Maintenance on XR650R

First check at 150k
then
Oil and filter every 1000k
Valve etc check at 2000k - usualy you dont have to, about every 4000k you need to adjust them, or so.

It's basically a peice of a cake if you know how to. If you dont, don't worry, maintenance is easy and therefore cheap at the shop. :)

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
XR650s require maintenance? :laugh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts