TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A BIG HELLO! This is my first post as a new member and I have recently bought a black D&K imported TLS from Ebay in a crazy impulsive moment.

Its has an issue that i need some help from you guys that have had the bikes with the standard clutch springs fitted.

The clutch pull is very heavy and I can see from the service history it has EBC CSK 71 uprated springs.

I adjusted the cable pull as per your forum.

I have stripped the clutch and noticed straight away the outer plate has been fitted with the tabs in the wrong slot. Correcting this has not helped the heavy action.(Its the five spring early clutch.)
The cable is obviously stretched so today I bought a new genuine cable and decided to pick up a set of Barnett springs.
My question is ...for general riding would I have be better fitting original stock springs and gaining a lighter clutch action?
EBC quote 10% stiffer and Barnett quote 25 % stiffer. OR Should i stick with the EBC springs, since my complaint is heavy action and not slippage?
Perhaps I should just fit the new cable and Barnett springs and try it. But if the pull is still heavy is that something youve got to live with??:confused
Please focus my mind for me and sorry if the info is already in the forums.

·
Moderator,
8,251 Posts
Welcome to the Zone.:)

The aftermarket springs will give a bit heavier pul, but that may not be your problem. I'd stick with the EBC springs if you're not having any slipping problems. The heavy pull is usually traced to an old, worn cable and/or the actuator located near the front sprocket. You've got a new cable so that will be covered when it's installed. While you're at work remove and inspect the actuator. Clean it, lube it and reinstall it. If it looks worn, loose or if you just don't want to bother with it, get a new one. They aren't very expensive. Adjust everything per the manual. It's important that you do it exactly like the manual says or you will have problems. Once that's all done I reckon your heavy pull will be gone and you can go enjoy the new bike - not as much as if it was a TLR mind you :slaptls, but enjoyment none the less.:laugh

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Welcome :bigfinger

I had barnett springs in my old TLS and it was fine.

Make sure the worm drive is good. If not £25 will get a new one and the difference is amazing. :thumbup

I'm sure we have another Zoner in Tamworth too. :yes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 1crock / Davec that makes complete sense. The worm drive actuator does have a lot of play. I'll whack the barnetts on Ebay and buy a new actuator (if my engineering buddy cant shim it) I've not stripped it yet to check the state of play but it slops about loads.(I'll obviously have to get a ride on an R version asap 1crock how much would the plane tcket be to Ohio? LOL) I do love my new bike though...paid 1600 quid on the buy it now jobbie! Theres not much wrong and plenty right with it.:hail

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
You'll love it mate. I owned one for a couple of years. Sold it and had more bike in between that I care to remember between that and my latest TLS. Milles, Z1000, GSXR100, R1's.

Nothing seems to compare. :no

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Modded clutch pull HEAVY! 97TLS

:) Yes M8 its love-I come off the night shift-plug the lights in to the workshop and erm just stare at the engineering and fat back tyre:clap:clap:rotfl

·
Moderator,
8,251 Posts
After reading your posts itsbod, it's pretty clear that now that you've found the zone you are about tot be very broke. :lol

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, I'd keep the EBC springs and put on the new cable and worm drive. The cable will probably make the biggest difference. I eventually got tired of replacing the cable and worm drive all the time and fitted a hydro system from a TLR to my TLS and the clutch pull got lighter still and stayed that way. Note I was riding lots of miles in lots of bad weather. the cable setup isn't so bad if you don't often ride in bad weather and/or don't put on lots of miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Modded clutch pull HEAVY! 97TLS

:) Hi all, just a quick update as I'm off to work in 5. Stripped the actuator and its got some indexing like a worn headrace! Cleaned it and played refit the bearings!! Heavy grease and new cable on. Fitted the Barnetss as the free hight of the EBC varied visuallly when stood on ends. Seams much better but gonna take the car now so will verdict the service tommorrow. Like the sound of the Hydro clutch mod....cha ching ching!!:)

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Welcome! :bigfinger

Even a new worm drive has a lot of play, but when worn it gets even worse. :laugh
Change the worm drive and the cableand you should be ok. I run barnetts and it works well.

Unless you've got weak wrists? :thatsgay
j/k ;)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
Welcome :bigfinger

When you said the last plate in was in the wrong slot, the last plate in goes in the other / shallow slots :thumbup (Just double checking)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Modded clutch pull heavy! 97TLS

:yes So many lovely people here!!
Thankyou all for your kind help and welcomes to the zone. Thanks to Steve for the clutch pictures which confirm I am a mechanical marvel!:devious

The outer plate was rotated into the next slots round to the other plates in the stack. When I corrected this, the play on the actuator needed resetting by adjusting the cable base, then then at the worm plunger thingy and last of all at the lever.
I had seen the diagram someone had posted out of the manual in an earlier site visit to get the adjustment procedure.
I cant believe someone had fitted the plates wrong and ......the clutch worked!:confused
Now....just need to work out why the rear shock rate is so tough, why the air ducts arnt connected to the airbox, why it stalls at junctions and what is that switch on the side panel with Hi-Lo on it for hhhmmm.:O octofinger...I have to help sort 125,000 parcels a night...my wrists are definately a bit :crazy:yes

·
Moderator,
8,251 Posts
Set the TPS and synchronize the throttle bodies and your stalling problem will probably go away. There's a video in the File Vault (link at top of page) that will tell you how to do it.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The switch might be for heated grips, they usually have a high-low option:)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
:stupid

Or it might be for a TRE.

Or a manual fan switch.

Or something else since removed from the bike.

Follow those wires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Modded clutch pull heavy! 97TLS

Thanks for the advice on my remaining issues. I hope to get a chance to look at the TLS this weekend and update the thread. If not it could be a while before I can post as my rigid HGV truck course will keep me busy next week then gotta sort out my tax forms before they fine me!! Meantime, take care all:ninja6

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Modded clutch heavy pull!

:cheers Thanks Guys and girls-My clutch is well and truly sorted:banana:clap:banana
The problem was someone had fitted the outer plate in the wrong slots.
I fitted new Barnett springs, new genuine cable, stripped cleaned and re-greased the actuator. Works perfectly and the pull is reasonable.:)

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Glad to hear you sorted it out! :cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts