TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I do a search for +mod and all I get is every post where someone has +mod in their sig. I found a wiring diagram for it but someone tell me what it will do for me?

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
provides a significantly hotter spark at the plug by upping the voltage and current available to the coils.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So where are you getting this relay and then were do most people mount it at? After installation I assume you just turn it on at start-up? And what if you forget to turn it off will it damage your coils or just drain the bat?

·
Registered
6,760 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys, it is kind of surprising how many little things the engineers missed. I have a t-stat housing and water pump cover on the way and I need to get the the water pump seals and that would be a good time to do the + & - mods.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Octofinger, I see in your sig you have a 97 TLS and you list the TRE mod, I was under the impression that the 97 didn't have the TR, I'm guessing that I'm wrong?

G

·
Octofinger, I see in your sig you have a 97 TLS and you list the TRE mod, I was under the impression that the 97 didn't have the TR, I'm guessing that I'm wrong?
This a good question ! I have heard the same thing, Also anyone know why the + mod uncork's 2.7bhp in the TLR and 1.4bhp in the TLS ?

:eatcorn

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
All 97's were fitted with a gear postion sensor and the signal was fed to the ECU. I doubt Suzuki went to the trouble of fitting a GPS and wiring and then did nothing with the signal? :confused

If you have a '97 with a later ECU in it, the the TRE is going to do the same as everyone elses does. (or not, YMMV not all bikes react the same).

I think the only reason the rumor started that the '97 didn't need a TRE is because none were available. That's because the 97 was the only FI Suzuki that used the 2 pin plug. All the others use the same 3 pin plug.

Ivan ended up selling plug in TRE's for '97s with a pig tail on them that had to be grounded.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
:stupid

There's also a rumor(?) that the early ecu (F00?) didn't have the ignition retardation on the lower gears, making it a bit more wheelie prone, apart from beeing just jerky. Almost all 97's have their ecu replaced and therefore do benefit from the TRE. There's a LOT of rumors about the -97 tls...

On my bike the TRE doesn't make that much of a difference. The throttle is slightly more smooth and more responsive, but I don't get that rev change that's characteristic for a TRE. Mine's active though so I need to get my bike on a stand and in gear to check it.

Check out Steve's site and make your own tre. I dunno if you can get an active tre for the -97 tls anymore... :O

This a good question ! I have heard the same thing, Also anyone know why the + mod uncork's 2.7bhp in the TLR and 1.4bhp in the TLS ?

:eatcorn
More juice to the coils because you route the current directly to the coils instead through almost the entire harness.

More juice to coils -> stronger spark -> better combustion -> more hp.

G

·
More juice to the coils because you route the current directly to the coils instead through almost the entire harness.

More juice to coils -> stronger spark -> better combustion -> more hp.
Why only 1.4 in the TLS and 2.7 in the TLR, does the TLS have less coil wire length in the harness than the TLR?

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Why only 1.4 in the TLS and 2.7 in the TLR, does the TLS have less coil wire length in the harness than the TLR?
Dunno. :O

If I take a guess, I'd say it's because the TLR has dual injectors and therefore injects much more fuel at full throttle and high revs (where you measure top effect). Because of the extra amount of fuel, the quality of the spark is even more important.

The tls gains from the extra spark power, but the tlr benefits even more because of it's extra fuel injection. Maybe the higher compression has something to do with it as well.

Maybe someone else knows more about this. As I said, it's just a qualified guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts