TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend some GPS software that works on Windows Mobile but is stand alone i.e. Doesn't need an internet connection to work?

My phone came with Wayfinder which isn't bad, and even though I downloaded most of the AU maps, it still needs to connect to their server to work.

I'm not paying my mobile phone mob more money for broadband internet. It's just not worth it. Especially when I live in a roaming zone and the roaming allowance if FA and expensive when you exceed the allocation.

There must be some Windows Mobile Pocket PC GPS stuff that will work on a smart phone and will work without an internet connection? :dunno

I emailed Wayfinder, and they said there's no way it will work without their online server, regardless of whether I want POI shit or not. :rant

I've got a couple of free apps that are good at tracing where I've been, when I get home and hook up to my WiFi it'll google map the route, but I want shit that tells me where to go.

·
Moderator,
8,236 Posts
Can't help with the software question, Steve, but I for one am willing to tell you where to go.:devious:lol

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Not sure with the Pocket Windows ...... Route 66 is one thats available for the Symbian system on my old SE P910 :O

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Garmin might have what your after. Im using the garmin mobilext on my symbian nokia.

http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/smartphones/?__utma=1.2942099334224093000.1243024692.1243024692.1243273498.2&__utmb=1.4.10.1243273498&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1243273498.2.2.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=garmin&__utmv=-&__utmk=132211598

Tom tom might have something too. Ive used both on my phone and liked the garmin better. Tomtom has alot more choice when it comes to aftermarket voices tho. Should be able to find both for windows mobile on BT sites around the place to test before you buy obviously :devious

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Can anyone recommend some GPS software that works on Windows Mobile but is stand alone i.e. Doesn't need an internet connection to work?

My phone came with Wayfinder which isn't bad, and even though I downloaded most of the AU maps, it still needs to connect to their server to work.

I'm not paying my mobile phone mob more money for broadband internet. It's just not worth it. Especially when I live in a roaming zone and the roaming allowance if FA and expensive when you exceed the allocation.

There must be some Windows Mobile Pocket PC GPS stuff that will work on a smart phone and will work without an internet connection? :dunno

I emailed Wayfinder, and they said there's no way it will work without their online server, regardless of whether I want POI shit or not. :rant

I've got a couple of free apps that are good at tracing where I've been, when I get home and hook up to my WiFi it'll google map the route, but I want shit that tells me where to go.

I'm using TeleNav GPS Navigator on my phone, I can set trip locations in it and have them stored that way I'm on my way it just feeds from memory. :O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll check some of them out. Having accurate AU maps thins things out a bit too.

I got a few names / sites from this report, but it's a little old ... http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/_archives/Dec07/Gps.aspx

(Plenty do already Jeff, they're just not specific enough and I'd need to be a contortionist.)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Will the non-internet GPS things work well for you? I think they figure your position by triangulating nearby cell towers. If you're live in a roaming area, there might not be a whole lot of close towers.

I have non-internet GPS on my phone. Googles version I think. Even in a big city, it didn't get my position very accurately. I never even use it anymore because of that

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's got a GPS chip in it Eric. I can set it up to find my position quickly using the cell towers but because of where I live, it can put me on a map anywhere within a 4km (2.5 mile) radius of my actual position.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Thanks Brett :thumbup

I wonder if we'll here from the Frankin Mall again? Suspicious I am.
yeh

as for above is there a mobile with true GPS ? it sounds like not except garmins asus nuviphone https://store.garminasus.com/store/catalog/productInfo.jsf?productId=37073
but then theres a lot of features they need to add for a good smart phone IE: HTC , BLACKBERRY etc

i like the M20 nuviphone but is it as good as the HTC hero :O

M20
Specifications

APAC/EU: 3G 900/2100; 2G 900/1800/1900
Other Connectivity: 802.11 b/g WLAN; Bluetooth 2.0+EDR; mini USB 2.0
CPU: Qualcomm 7200A 528MHz
Battery: 920 mAh Lithium (replaceable)
Talk Time: 3G: Up to 3 hours / 2G: Up to 2.8 hours
Standby Talk Time: 3G: Up to 250 hours / 2G: Up to 260 hours
Dimensions: 95.3 x 52.5 12.8 mm
Weight: 99g (including battery)
Display: 2.8", 65K, TFT with touch lens
Camera/Photos: 3MP camera, JPG format with auto-focus and geotagging. View photos in JPG/PNG/GIF/BMP format
Flash Memory: 4GB
Audio: Built-in microphone & speaker; Ring tone supported formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, WMA, WAV, and AMR-NB
Headphone Jack: mini-USB
Video Playback: MPEG4/H.264/H.263/WMV @ 30fps VGA
Messaging: SMS / MMS / IM
Internet: OPERA browser, HTML, WAP 1.2.1/2.0
Sync: ActiveSync® for Outlook contacts calendar, media and documents
Productivity: Document viewing: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF
Other: Built-in Motion Sensor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts