TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

First a bit of history:
I previously owned a 99 TLR (31k miles) with standard mods, full RS3, TRE, PCII, and lower gearing
in the back. That's all that was done, as far as I know (2nd owner). The bike was a beast. I could easily
power wheelie in second gear (which is expected with the gearing) and clutch one up in 3rd around 60-65mph.

Present day:
I recently purchased a 2000 TLR (8k miles), bone stock, in absolutely immaculate showroom condition. No, I
couldn't believe it when I saw it either. Any way, I had the bike Dynoed and the results were BHP=107 -
Top=165mph. I could care less about the top-end, but I was shocked to hear 107 bhp for a mint TLR. At first
I shrugged it off thinking the bike had probably been sitting for a while (although well maintained), but still,
107 bhp is a long way from the stock 130bhp advertised by Suzuki and other reputable sources. The bike
runs smooth, but feels like a mere shadow compared to my last one. Any thoughts, comments, advice, on this?

Note: The individual I sold my last TLR to, who was also a seasoned TLR owner, later stated on our bike forum that
the TLR I sold him was more powerful than any TLR he'd ridden in the past. All those arguments I engaged in over
the Tillers lack of power and speed, and now I am seeing what they were talking about. Honestly, I'm beginning to
wonder if I sold the rare golden goose :(

2000 TL1000R
photo 1.JPG

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,281 Posts
Does this 'new' TLR still have the OEM gearing? As long as that is the case, the comparison is not really "apples to apples."

Also, you now have a very nice 14 year old TLR that has never had the injectors cleaned. Could be part of the power issue.

Welcome to the Zone!

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
That, and it's the slower yellow model .:laugh
It's not a restricted import is it ? (Just thinking out loud).

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1 "...you now have a very nice 14 year old TLR that has never had the injectors cleaned." I agree
that it likely needs to be cleaned and tuned, and a part of me, the denial part, was hoping that this was all
there was to the hp issue, unfortunately I just found this:

"TL1000r, all years comp exhaust, BMC ~ 105 - 108 True HP " (FactoryPro.com)

@Big Red, a very good question, however I don't believe it's a restricted import, otherwise it
likely wouldn't have hit 165mph.

Referenced material from - http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
It hit 165mph? where? on the Dyno? if it will hit the redline in top (which any bike should on a dyno) then it will read whatever speed it's gearing allows it to reach. Are you at altitude or sea level? that will affect it.

Most stock TLS's read 100-110 bhp at the rear wheel. TLR's 5-10bhp more. An unused bike will never perform as well as a well used/maintained bike. Chnage the fuel/plugs, give it a good service, put a couple of thousand miles on it, and try it again. bet you will have found a couple of missing BHP .......

·
Moderator,
8,238 Posts
165 mph is right on the money for a stock TLR. Mine did just a bit less (in the real world on pavement.) Dyno numbers are relative, you may take it to another dyno and find it's 117hp. I've never seen anyone with 130 rwhp on a stock R. Most have been in the 110 - 120 range so your 107 is well within the range of differences that can be expected between between dynos. I suspect there's not a problem other than the number you are seeing isn't to your liking. If anything I'd change the fuel filter since it's a known problem area that could cause fueling problems and a bit lower number. I still suspect there's no real problem so go up 2 or 3 on the rear sprocket and I reckon you'll be happy if you just forget about the number.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Last time I had my mostly stock tiller dyno'd it said 123 at the wheel. I said at the time it could be an optimistic dyno but I like the number so I choose to believe it. :)

It eats enough gas to make that sort of power though.

107 sounds a but low to me but if it runs smoothly and reliably I wouldn't complain. As mentioned above, stick some cleaner through the fuel system and see if it feels any better.

Out of interest what sort of mpg do you get out of it? I'm curious as mine can do the main tank in less than 60 miles but that may be the price for that dyno figure.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Out of interest what sort of mpg do you get out of it? I'm curious as mine can do the main tank in less than 60 miles but that may be the price for that dyno figure.
You've got something seriously amiss there, I'd say!! That's barely 20mpg?

My TLS has been on three different dynos over the years with figures from 122-129bhp. Even on a track day it works out at around high twenties mpg. For road use, it'll do about 105miles from full to flashy light.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, 60 miles to a tank is a bit suspect. I generally reset the odometer after every fill, and fill at around 129 miles.
I did the same with my old Tiller as well, and that one had all the goodies installed.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Mine is just thirsty. Always has been. Never found a good reason why. I just live with it. It's better on m-ways. I was just interested to see if there might be an observable relationship between the power output and the fuel economy. Mine's greedy but has a decent dyno rating even with stock cans, no PC or other significant mods. Josh's machine may be down on power relative to mine but it might do 35mpg as a payback. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It eats enough gas to make that sort of power though.
Just an FYI on this... I got around 129 per tank on my old TLR. On my new TLR, I also get between 65-80 per tank. It's a bit curious, but I'm confident that all that extra fuel is going to a better place :confused

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
sounds about right.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
They do seem to be a bit variable these tillers. I'd have said they got those graphs mixed up. Give that its Performance Bikes magazine...... :devious :laugh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts