TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need one of these little buggers, but I don't even know where to start. I want it to be super small, but not as small as my Honda XR50. Maybe like a TTR125 or something. Anyone have any ideas. There is a little racing circuit near me that rides all winter indoors. I gotta have one quick. This looks like too much fun.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Most mini-moto orgs require it be a small four stroke. The XR100 and CRF150F, TTR125 and KLX/DRZ125 are popular with the XR100 probbly taking the cake as most popular. No doubt the CRF150R will totaly dominate everthing its allowed to enter which may not be much.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. I figured the XR100 to be the least capable. the CRF150 is just too big and kinda defeats the purpose of MINI in my opinion. A friend of mine is a two stroke nut and is bent on a CR80, but again I think it's too big. Any thgouhts on where I should start looking for a bike that's already set up?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't race mini-moto but a bunch of the local off road guys do and they all have XR100's. I think it has more to do with the regs of the local mini-moto racing org than anything else. All the little air cooled play bikes are really low performance with stamped steel or cast everything and minimal suspension, power or brakes, but still great fun I'm told. I doubt there's really much of a difference between the various brands of small play bikes, I would stay away from the e-start model just to avoid the extra weight penalty.

Something like a CR80 would be light years ahead in terms of performance and build quality, but probably won't be legal to race in most venues (most of them are in-doors at least around here). As for size, I dunno - I guess it just depends on what you like. I have a blast on my wife's KX100:D

The 85cc class MX bikes are generally taller, but lighter weight than the ~100cc air cooled play bikes.

I don't know where to buy them already setup other than say supermotojunkie.com but you might look up whatever your local mini-moto org is and just stop by an event to chat with folks and see what people are running.

I assume you don't plan to make it street legal right?

have fun

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Most of the people at MFI race mini-motard as do a bunch of the guys from Advrider.com - its generally a (way cool) rich old mans sport and done in-doors in the winter on XR100's - mini-super moto is quite different from the pit bike craze - they pretty much always use 100+ cc upright four stroke trail bikes with sticky tires - almost exclusively XR100's and TTR125's and KLX/DRZ125's as oposed to the 50cc based (though often 100+ cc in modded form) CRF50's and their rip-offs which have a bit different motors - cylinder is paralell to the ground more or less and the (standard) trans is a 3-speed auto clutch.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Those suckers are waaaayyyy too expensive. anyone else?
You should know by now that no form of racing is cheap :devious
My buddy had an XR100 and was getting smoked by these guys that have tons of dough into these little bikes. One track he races at the top guys are doing 80+mph on the straight.
He's selling his GSXR 1000 because he never rides it anymore

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I had a KLX110 with a 143cc big bore kit, cam, full SS two-brothers exhaust and such. it was a RIPPER :hail

had to sell to get my new exhaust and such for the TL though :banghead

1 - 13 of 13 Posts