TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride on the mountain trails with the DRZ yesterday. It was an incredibly beautiful day. Check this scenery :hail Left as a link due to hugeness. Good desktop material.

http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files/bikeshots/DRZ/Snowy_Mountain.jpg

Anyway, I was alone and unloading my bike and two bikes pull up to the truck near me. One was loading to go home, the other rider came over and introduced himself. He was on a CRF450X and considerably older than me (learned later he is 57, I am 44).
He had already gone 30 miles and his partner was done for the day (wimp) and he inquired if I wanted a riding parter. I said sure.

So, even though he was on a 450X, I figured it was gonna be a pretty leisurely ride as he had already gone 30 miles and hell, he is pretty old to be ripping around on a dirt bike. He let me lead and I headed down a medium speed and pretty rough trail that I know well. Rode a medium pace until the blood started flowing and I was ready to get my dirt biking mojo on, so I gave it the stick and started riding a good hard hare scrambles pace, about 80% effort level, pretty quick. I am no pro racer by any means, but I am in very good shape and can ride a dirt bike. After about 5 miles of this, the trail intersected and I pulled up to take a breather and wait for Russ. No waiting. He was right there :hail Russ had the stock baffle in his 450X, so it was very quiet. I could not hear him over the bark of my Yosh pipe :laugh

After taking a drink, I let Russ lead on a zig zaggy trail that dumped into a whoop section. Even though I am on a DRZ, I figured I would zip by in the whoops. Coming from the CA dez, I have ridden a few of those and the DRZ is considerably stiffer than stock and handles whoops OK. Funny thing was, I found myself pushing it hard at a fun level to keep up. No scary fast out of control, just good hard riding with a bit of reserve. This went on all day pretty much.

I exchanged numbers with Russ. He has ridden CO trails since 1970 and is an amazing rider in the Malcolm Smith mold. Smooth, fast and in control. I love riding dirt bikes more than anything else and I find him to be inspiring. My attitude is you have to train to stay seriously active past 40 and I am doing that. I want to be off roading till I keel over :laugh

Russ knows all the areas from here to Moab and he rides a lot. Once again, I am the grasshopper. Teach me trail master :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Totally awsome:thumbup Do take him up on the Moab offer, its a really amazing place to ride:hail

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
sounds like a great day.
:thumbup

good to hear you are getting out and riding!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
sounds like fun...great pic as well :thumbup

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do take him up on the Moab offer, its a really amazing place to ride
Can you imagine the picture whoring on my part that would take place after such a trip? Stay tuned :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Damn, same age as me!..........you have to watch us old Farts!:devious :laugh

Regards Sonny

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I was hoping you would drop Malcolm Smith's name in there somewhere... if only because I purchased my TL from his shop out in Riverside way back in '97 :D

Sounds like a blast, btw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts